Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but that movie still did a great job establishing up front that this was the same eerie, atmospheric planet as before. Which is why everything that came after was so damn effective.

Plus, being that this is Ridley I was naturally hoping for a tone closer to the first movie anyway.

2. davejames

I don't really have a problem with the art design or brightness level. I just want it to move and feel more like the original Alien than a typical, flashy, scifi/horror flick.

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof have said that they're adhering to the continuity of Aliens, in which it was established that the planet shown in Alien was LV-426. I believe the planet in Prometheus has already been designated LV-423. The derelict from Alien is not the same ship as the one in Prometheus.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

nitpick, LV-426 (Acheron) is actually a moon, one of at least three orbiting a ring world. So perhaps LV-423 is one of the other moons, as it also appears to be orbiting a ringed planet.

5. davejames

I realize it's a different planet, but I would still hope the mood and tone of the movie would be the same, considering it's still the same Alien universe.

6. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do remember, we're starting off under different pretenses. With Alien, you're starting off with a crew that has been pretty much forced to check something out when they'd they rather be in their pods asleep. With Prometheus. it starts as a grand adventure and they realize that things are not as they hopped. It would be unrealistic to start this movie was trepidation, that feeling of uneasiness has to work itself in as the situation changes for the crew.

7. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

I know that's why I can't by Belle as Snow White. No way she is ever fairer than Charlize Theron

8. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

People usually think the Nostromo in Alien was dark and messy but that was the refinery. The Nostromo was very bright and sterile looking.

9. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The TV ad says in big letters "ALIEN" right along with the other films mentioned. So, just a smidgen more obvious.

( Not to mention the space jockey. )

If people are going to blame Scott for AVP or assume this film has anything to do with Predators, they're a lost cause anyway.

10. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think everyone needs to just cool it for a while. I have my doubts about some aspects of the movie too, but it's not fair to judge the film based on a few trailers and a one-minute clip.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It's probably the same - the 2004 rerelease of Alien was a 15 as well, and the original movie has subsequently been downgraded to that too.

12. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Have they given away the whole movie yet? Because it sure seems like so. I'm avoiding any more trailers/behind the scenes stuff.

13. davejames

Yeah I'm a bit concerned about that as well. Even if we don't yet know the specific reasons behind everything, you can still guess the broad strokes of the plot pretty easily from the trailers that have been released.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Is not unusual for trailers to at least hint at the overall plot of film. It seems these days you almost have to tell the audiance what they are getting. It'll be a rare film that could basically through up a title card as an advert.

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I understand, we've seen nothing from the film's third act thus far.

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Bwaaahahhaaa... :guffaw::rofl::rommie::lol: Welcome to the internet, brother! Measured reason and patience are the exception, not the rule.

I for one think this thing will be awesome (based on the one-minute clip). The second I saw the Space Jockey pop through that floor I knew that it's going to be amazing.

But I will reserve judgment until I see it... ;)

17. davejames

Too bad it probably won't be the same Space Jockey from the first movie.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Probably not, but it would be nice to finally (hopefully) get some background info on that species.

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

As I said a day or two ago, it isn't the same Jockey (or Engineer, as the script refers to them). I'm glad about that, really, since the Engineer, and its chair, seen in the Prometheus trailers is horribly out of scale to what was depicted in Alien.

The films take place on different planets, and the Engineers' ship in Prometheus is not the same ship as the derelict seen in Alien.

Exactly. Nostromo was a virgin that ended up being ripped to pieces by the penis rape machine alien.

20. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

What would be really cool is if our heroes in Prometheus encounter a brand-new Nostromo, fresh out of spacedock. It'd highlight exactly what you say, that the Nostromo is an ancient hand-me-down ship that's been in service for years.

FWIW, we really don't know that yet. If they've told us that the planets are different, that doesn't eliminate the possibility that the derelict launches from the planet in this movie and ultimately crash-lands on LV-426, to set us up for Alien. As far as the scale being wrong, that can be chalked up to the Space Jockey being A) a matte painting appropriate for 1979 special effects techniques (shoot, it was still good enough for TNG in the 90s) but also B) children were used in the spacesuits to simulate scale. I can't really fault them for the scale being off.