"Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Docbrown777, May 11, 2009.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nonsense...Nero wasn't in the military...he's not hailing the Enterprise as a commander of a warship, but he DOES have contempt for the ability of Starfleet to counter the Narada.

RAMA

2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just realized, in Doctor Who, the Doctor does the informal greeting very often when he meets an alien menace, partly because it instantly disarms them long enough for him to talk. Apparently it can work both ways, for heroes and villains.

3. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

It was perfectly delivered. Nero wasn't a military person, he was an everyman who happened to have gone through hell. He wasn't going to care about military politeness.

4. omegadir

omegadir Lieutenant Red Shirt

The line didn't make me laugh or anything, but given Nero's character and how much the movie differed from previous trek films, I can't really think of a better substitute for it.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nero: How are you, gentleman! All your Red Matter are belong to us. Vulcan is on its way to destruction... :D

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, well we certainly have a contender :)

7. SheliakBob

SheliakBob Commander Red Shirt

One of the few things I genuinely enjoyed about the movie. Made me chuckle--which was totally unexpected, all things considered.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The writers probably thought it was cool to have Nero sound like an ordinary person rather than a mwahahaha supervillain, but the problem is, Romulans are aliens, and not very well-defined aliens either. There's a perpetual problem of them not coming off convincingly as aliens.

I loved Trek XI but the biggest problem for me was the Rommies - they seemed less alien than ever, and I just didn't buy that they were anything other than humans with funny ears and tattoos.

Really, the first thing that Trek needs to do at this point is to use a movie, or movies, to develop a unique character to the Romulans (a process that I wanted Trek XI to at least start), along the lines of the Cardies, Klingons and Vulcans. After they're rock-solid as aliens, then the writers can start having fun by "humanizing" them.

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. My favorite bit in Bana's performance. Made me wish he'd had more screentime. "Quirky supervillain out for revenge" was/would have been pretty fresh.

10. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Villains who try to be 'cool' and 'stylish' tend to call the heroes by their full names. A particular villain that comes to mind is 'Milo' from 'The Last Boy Scout.'

As for Nero delivering that line? It made him more chilling, because you knew something was going to happen....especially with Robau going over to his ship all alone.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  11. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

I also denotes lack of any respect. His ship had just pretty much whipped up on the Kelven. His way of saying "I've got you by the balls, you're just a name from history that I have no attachment too".

Rob

12. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love both the line and how its delivered. Always makes me smile for some reason.

One, I like the casualness of the villain, he's at ease and perfectly sure of his cause.

Sharr

13. Ataja

Ataja Ensign Newbie

I can definitly sign that

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I thought it was hilarious.

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I reckon a poll would give it a massive thumbs up. It was perfectly in tone with the whole movie.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's my favorite line in the entire movie...it's perfectly in character and delivered fantastically by Eric Bana. Indeed I believe as others have stated that Nero addressed Pike by his first name to mock him and out of disrespect. I also had a theory (although not canon) since Star Trek Countdown showed Nero conducting an extensive history of Enterprise's captains he probably felt like he knew Pike so he greeted him by his first name.

17. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It soundded patently like a pandering to young people for whom casual is right and good, like Jim's hair on "The Office," and untucked button-down shirts.

We're all casuals now, so Nero sounds hip. But it sounded like some of the out-of-place cute lines in the TNG movies, esp. from Data: "Lock and load." Or, "Yes!!" when the ENT blows something up (can't remember what). The obviously "cool" line of the movie, if ya know what I mean.

Like it if you like it, I'm just offering my opinion, since I think that's what the OP asked.

18. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So you would have preferred Nero behave and talk with the Queen's English and mannerisms?

That kind of formality causes Trek to be very stale and it has little to do with pandering (its only pandering when "I don't like it") but rather setting an organic tone for the story.

Why should a civilian such as Nero act with military formality?

I'm being somewhat rhetorical - Trek as a franchise has blurred the lines between civil and military and we expect (wrongly) everyone in the universe to act like StarFleet recruits.

Its actually more out of place for him to address Pike, or anyone else in some formal manner. He's a miner/pirate not an ambassador from the empire.

19. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Loved it. I laughed out loud. Nero was clearly being completely condescending, and disrespecting Pike's authority. It's a perfectly villainous thing to do! :)

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The line (and Bana) gets a wonderful reaction - I saw it at least six times at the cinema here in Australia.

My favourite reaction, though, was the Aussie family in front of me at one screening. The Dad said to his wife, as they began leaving during the closing credits, "That was great. I thought that Eric Bana was supposed to be in this movie?"