David Goyer Teases the Next Batman Film!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/07/21/exclusive-david-goyer-says-he-knows-the-theme-for-batman-3/

So what could the theme be?

Begins: Fear
    Knight: Escalation
    Next: Redemption?

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I also find it interesting that he says he has found "one".

3. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

4. JacksonArcher

The Philip Seymour Hoffman as Penguin rumour has been going around since after Batman Begins in 2005. I guess it's the Bat rumor that just won't die.

And I wouldn't expect to hear anything even somewhat legitimate in terms of what direction the film will be going in terms of villain and star for at least the next year. If not much longer.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

(Fan over examination ON!) That doesn't necessarily mean anything. The previous films had multiple villains connected to the theme, but Goyer only refers to one of them each when discussing the themes. It's possible there's one primary villain as before with one supporting villain in another form.

But you're absolutely right that we won't know anything concrete for a long time.

6. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm just glad they've discussed it.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Redemption... Mister Freeze? Or is he too fantastical to appear in this gritty realistic interpretation. Actually if you think about it, most of the remaining villains are all science-fiction-y and probably wouldn't be used in the story. Killer Croc? Poison Ivy? Mr. Freeze? Bane?

Who's left in the real world? Penguin? Ventriloquist? Black Mask?

I've never read a comic with Hush in it... does he have any super powers?

8. I think it's a given that any of the remaining villains will be re-imagined in a more realistic way, so a villain being too 'out there' means nothing.

Boy do I hope that article's rumors are true. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Johnny Depp? Sold.

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

maybe a reworked version of HUSH? Harvey masquerading as HUSH with catwoman and Riddler

10. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

If this is to be the last Batman with this crew, I would say "Legacy" would be a good theme. Move the timeline up a decade. Introduce Robin. Gotham needs a symbol and I would like to see Bruce find a way to have an enduring symbol and find a family again after he has lost so much in that department.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Look what they did with Ra's Al Ghul.

Paul Giamatti?

12. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Christian Bale has already said on several occasions he would quit before he'd make a movie with a Robin character in it. Besides, I don't see how you introduce a side-kick in this version of Batman without it coming off cheesy.....

13. Agent Richard07

I think Robin could be in the action in some capacity without being the same kind of sidekick Burt Ward's Robin was to Adam West's Batman.

14. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but the introduction of Robin in the last series certainly didn't work either so I really question, why go there? In the last series of movies, the first two without Robin were very good, the last two with Robin sucked. Granted, Tim Burton left after the first 2 but still, the addition of Robin certainly didn't help either.

It's odd, because I was always a fan of Robin/Nightwing in the comics. Robin just doesn't seem to translate very well onto big screen, especially in the dark, realistic world Nolan's films are set in.

15. JacksonArcher

Oh, I'm aware. However it seems at this stage it might appear as if the focus could be on one villain. At least, that's as far as they've developed.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Even if some say that a third film isn't necessary because "The Dark Knight" tied up everything there is alot to explore. You can't just leave batman on the run.

-Cops will still hunt batman(roof chase maybe?)

-dealing with mounting odds

-a lost love

then we have the superficial stuff like a new cave and new car.

17. MPH

MPH Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The introduction of Robin was nothing to do with the downturn of quality in the first set of films, I think that had to do with the film studio asking J Schumacher to aim the films at a more younger audience.

18. Agent Richard07

Because this is still Batman and I'd like to see as much of the mythos as possible included. Even if some things are never included, I like to stick to the idea that they can be.

Robin was never a problem for me, it was the inclusion of too much camp.

Since we already have a man dressed up as a bat, a clown with henchmen, a secret society that wants to destroy the world, a man with a scarecrow mask and halucinogenic weapons, and a D.A. with half his face burned off, I'm sure Dick Grayson in some gear can be made to work.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Also the producer or someone said the same thing and that Robin is lame.

And of course they will make a third movie, that is a given.

20. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

The most obvious... Catwoman. She's the most universally well known.

Redemption has a strong potential and it can work on two levels: the redemption of the Batman symbol now tarnished by the events in TDK, and the redemption of Bruce Wayne as a human being. Rachel said it best: Batman has become Bruce's true face. He needs someone to touch his heart in a way that Rachel couldn't.

Catwoman is the one "villain" who can approach the redemption issue on both levels. The story could well focus on her own redemption in the bargain.