ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Since it was suggested in a [i]Sherlock[/i] thread that there should be a separate thread for CBS' Elementary (though there are dead threads here and here)...

There were two big pieces of Elementary news yesterday.

First, Rob Doherty talked about the Super Bowl episode, Moriarty, and Irene Adler as part of the Television Critics Association's press tour. In particular, despite recent revelations, there will be an actress cast as Irene.

Second, John Hannah has been cast Rhys, Holmes' former drug dealer.

I can't place Hannah (he was in The Mummy movies, though I don't remember him).

As for Adler, I hope that, like the Canon character, she's an American. If she's from New Jersey, again like the Canon character, then that could suggest a reason for Holmes' decision to come to New York, so that he can experience the world that she knew before her murder.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So Irene will be played by Snookie? ;)

3. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit I like this show - Miller does a great job as Sherlock, and I'm looking forward to Hannah showing up - chewing less scenery than his epic role in the first two seasons of Spartacus, I should think!

4. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

John Hannah was Evie's brother, the greedy one.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

He's been in loads of stuff. Look him up - you should recognise him.

I'd have preferred him to be Mycroft, but he's a bit thin for that part...

6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I wasn't expecting too much from this show after the first couple of episodes, since it seemed mostly like a typical CBS police drama, but it has really begun to stand out for me. Especially after this past week's episode, which was very good. I think that Lucy Liu makes the perfect Watson, which I never would have guessed before the show began. I look forward to more episodes.

By the way, I also really enjoy the opening sequence.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Bite your tongue!

Irene will, of course, be played by Chelsea Handler . . . .

8. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will conserve space by simply seconding everything you've said, Spot's Meow (...including the Goldberg Device used in the show's opening)!

9. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Now that they have his arch-nemesis waiting in the wings, an already surprisingly good show will potentially get even better...

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure that we already saw Moriarty a few episodes ago.

11. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Damn, must've missed that... :confused:

12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ No, Moriarty has not yet been seen on Elementary. Moran/M was not Moriarty.

13. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

So's Mark Gatiss on Sherlock, but it works out anyway.

14. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Both shows constantly take a ton of liberties, but at the same time they try to live up to the name. If they continue to keep this in mind, it shouldn't be a problem.

15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it just me or does Jonny Lee Miller mumble his lines sometimes? I also notice that the sound level seems to drop when he speaks. I've seen it on several different tvs and cable services and it happens every episode. It seems to be something with the show because I don't notice that happening on all the other CBS shows I watch. Other than that I love the show. I think that Lucy Liu is doing a really good job as Watson.

16. Kimi3013

Kimi3013 Captain Captain

I wasn't too interested in this when I first read about it. Not because it was a murder show, unlike the seeming majority of the populous here I actually like them, but because it sounded like a go at copying the BBC show. If it had been announced without the BBC one then I'd have been all for it.

But I've really enjoyed it so far, and I'm hoping for a long run for it. No clue how it's doing in the ratings or anything.

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

From the article:
    Then why, Mr. Doherty, do you always cast a name actor as the murderer and thus give the game away right off the bat???!!!!

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I've noticed in Elementary it seems to be much more about the how of the murder, rather than the who.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Sure, but they could make it a little less predictable. I remember the detective shows in the '80s and '90s, like Murder, She Wrote or the Perry Mason revival movies, where they'd cast a whole bunch of more-or-less well-known actors in the same episode. If shows today did that, at least there'd be some uncertainty about which name actor it was.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not always true. Craig Bierko wasn't the murderer in his episode; it was his crazy secretary. Callie Thorne wasn't the murderer in her episode; actually, she had no significant role in her episode. The Lisa Edelstein episode, on the other hand... :)