Question to those most disappointed with the SW prequels

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by suarezguy, Jan 18, 2014.

1. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Which is pretty much what happened, once he became Darth Vader is took out the other Jedi at the temple and the Seperatist leaders.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

He could podrace which according to TPM no other human could do, he took out the Jedi at the temple, killed Dooku and took out the Seperatist leaders, not to bad for a 20 year old.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    He was one of the most powerful Jedi and Sith in recorded history. He just happened to be an emotionally wracked and disjointed, unconfident and power-hungry young man trapped in an expert pilot and warrior's body which made things so much more complicated and dangerous.

Anakin was the Chosen One. He also happened to be a complete and total mess.

4. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    If he actually Force-manipulated her, it would explain sooooo much, for instance how she went from being independent and no-nonsense to sentimental and completely oblivious to Anakin's emo-ness and downward spiral.

She started off as being good at observing things. She ended up as a doofus...well, to be fair, shortly before he Force-choked her, she sort of snapped out of it, but Episode 1 Padme would never simply give up on life because her marriage fell apart, especially with 2 babies needing her. I might be less ragey about this if I imagine Anakin manipulating her in my head canon. Good call.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

This is how the scene should have played out:

"Are you going to use one of your Jedi mind tricks on me?"

"They only work on the weak-minded. So, yes."

Luke certainly didn't need to stick his hand out to levitate Threepio.

^ This one is probably the least noteworthy as a reflection of his skill; the Separatists were total scrubs and were very poorly defended. There wasn't even a droideka! About the coolest thing Anakin does in that scene is his behind-the-back deflection of a blaster bolt from a battle droid ( which was reproduced as his deflection animation in the video game ).

There's no reason to believe things were really that simple; after all, a droid can have no understanding of the Force, so if confronted by a Force-related phenomenon it would have to find a different way to express the situation.

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

To be fair Anakin fell because he felt helpness to save his mother and didn't want to feel like he failed to save Padme as well.

7. Set Harth

That really isn't too far from what we got - you just have to replace "the greater good" with the selfish desire to preserve Padme's life ( which is still a goal we could refer to as "good", in and of itself, given that she was a decent person, aside from the question of her value to the galaxy as a whole, whatever that might have been ).

Though he doesn't outright deny it, he also never admits to her that he killed the younglings, for whatever that's worth. He attempts to portray the charge as Obi-Wan trying to turn her against him.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

:lol: "Insight?" He was Boba Fett 2.0--"We learned out lesson...this time we'll let our uber-cool looking made-to-be-an-action-figure character actually do something badass before we off him."

9. cooleddie74

I wouldn't have minded learning more about Maul back in 1999, but that was never his purpose. The real meat in the Sith apprentice sandwich was intended for Dooku, Sidious and Vader. Besides, as reference materials published over the years have said: Maul was but a placeholder to keep the seat warm until Sidious had his ultimate apprentice in hand, the one he would use to gain control over the galaxy.

Maul was just never meant to be much more than he was, and the recent Clone Wars resurrection of the character has just been a bonus for fans of the guy who got tired of having little background information about him.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That may be true, but I feel Maul and Dooku could have potentially been combined into one character with a little re-writing, especially wish how much time passes between Ep 1 and 2.

It may not have been the intention, but I found Maul to be the most interesting character in Ep 1. I would have enjoyed him sticking around.

11. cooleddie74

He was pretty cool, wasn't he? Easily one of the most intimidating-looking characters in sci-fi and fantasy even if his character was woefully underdeveloped for more than a decade after he was believed to have died in battle.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

TPM Darth Maul wasn't a character. He was a glorified prop, like Boba Fett was in TESB and ROTJ.

Both were cool-looking Rorschach inkblots that you could buy crude facsimiles of in department stores, and imagine all sorts of cool backstory for that they never had.

TCW turned Maul into a character, and AOTC turned at least young Boba into a minor one.

Harrumph!

As for "Sith apprentice sandwich": :lol:

13. cooleddie74

Comes with CommTech chips.

That's for the collectors who might be here.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes I think it makes sense. It explains her own character deterioration and even more so to me it seems like an inevitable choice Anakin would make. He needs to be loved by her and if he can just tweak her perceptions a bit so she's happier that's good right? Because he wants her to be happy.. with him.

Even though she was probably free of the direct influence of him in the end her whole psyche was damaged still which is why it was easy for her to give up even though she had two babies, something totally out of character for her in TPM. Died of a broken heart? Well she had those babies to love, babies she already loved when pregnant with them. But if he was force brainwashing her all those years there wasn't any room for love for anything but him and when he attacked her he crushed everything he'd rewired her into being.

I'm not too clear on the time frame though, how long from the force choking to the birth? Because she didn't look that pg with twins in the force choking but the babies were obviously well along and viable at the birth.

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just LOVED Scorpion Maul in TCW, I was gobsmacked when I saw that.. :eek: That was so bizarre, the whole storyline was great stuff.

16. Set Harth

Of course, Maul was already Palpatine's apprentice at a point when the latter had not even heard of Anakin yet.

17. cooleddie74

There's the theory that Palpatine knew of Anakin's creation by the midichlorians and waited patiently for him to surface, but that's just conjecture and I can't recall if the novel Darth Plagueis confirmed this or not. Both Maul and Dooku were never intended to rule the galaxy at Palpatine's side once his plans came to fruition, they were just the apprentices to help said plans along.

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Maul should have survived EP1, he was bad ass and should have been the main villain. So strong that he could only be beaten by an Anakin who has given in to the dark side.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Like Yoda I]m sure Palpatine could into the future using the Force and saw Anakin in his future. He did say at the end of TPM that he intended to keep a close on Anakin in the future.

20. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

No, I don't think he should have survived. He served his purpose - namely being an explicit menace that was quickly dealt with, leaving the real menace hidden in the shadows, confusing a monolithic Jedi Order that was unable to adapt to the real threat. It's no accident that Palpatine took control by subterfuge and no real brute force on his part, or those of his disciples - employing a callow youth and a past-his-prime fallen Jedi to deflect attention away from himself until it was too late. It underscores how out-of-touch and rigid the Jedi have become ... too beholden to their "Code" to see the real threat ... until it was too late.