Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by sbk1234, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Oops, my mistake. Seems you get to correct me again Sindatur :)

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Sorry, didn't mean to be like that :alienblush:

3. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, most of my Dr. Who is accessed via Netflix. I've just exhausted all of the new Who that's available there. There is only a smattering of Classic Who.

4. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    As for the classic series on Netflix, "City of Death" (#14 on the Netflix collection list) would probably be the most enjoyable to a modern viewer. It also happens to be my favorite! It was written (or heavily re-written) by Douglas Adams around the same time that he did Hitchhiker's Guide (so the dialogue is fantastic) and features the most famous of the classic Doctors, Tom Baker. And a bunch of it was shot on location in Paris, so it doesn't feel as cheap as the classic series sometimes did. Oh, and the bad guy is played by Julian Glover of Indian Jones and the Last Crusade fame! Anyways, you can't go wrong with that one.

Also, #7 & #8 are both pretty good and feature Tom Baker's Doctor with Sarah Jane.

5. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Bow ties are cool.

6. sbk1234

I've just looked back at my earlier post, and now I'm wondering what the Hell "weating" means!

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I assumed it was a typo, and you actually meant "weeding", bow ties, so, I figured that meant you were pulling out/cutting the loose threads on your bow ties ;)

8. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Rainbow scarfs are cool too.

9. sbk1234

I don't think I could pull that off!

10. sbk1234

Today for my school's spirit day we're having Dress Like Your Favorite TV Character. Naturally, I've got my bow tie, jacket and sonic screwdriver, and the students are calling me Doctor. I guess it's a shame none of them actually understand. Too bad I can't speak with an English accent. Oh well, I guess this makes it a good day.

11. sbk1234

We had our "autograph day" for the 5th graders. Whenever they'd ask me to sign their autograph books, I'd write some quote from Dr. Who. Usually just "Bow ties are cool," or "Geronimo!"

12. sbk1234

It just dawned on me how Dr. Who must be just that much more fun to people with obsessive personalities!

13. sbk1234

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but is there a chronology of River Song and the Doctor's meetings told by River's point of view?

14. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alex Kingston narrated one for the final Doctor Who Confidential. Not sure about online.

15. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

You mean this?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv3rDSvmumI[/yt]

16. sbk1234

Yeah. Kinda a lot just like that! Thanks.

17. sbk1234

ANother stupid question here. My mind is drawing a complete blank, and I've been absolutely unsuccessful searching on line. The Tardis has a system that causes people not to notice it unless they are actively looking for it. Wearing a Tardis key on a string around your neck will aparently serve this purpose as well. What is this system called? I know it's not the chameleon circuit. Thanks for the help. I want to sleep again.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perception filter.

19. sbk1234

YES! Thanks. Too much minutae in Doctor Who!

20. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I too have never seen a Doctor Who episode and I was curious about where I should start. Netflix is airing 18 season of Classic Doctor Who (1963) and 8 seasons for the current Doctor Who (2005). I was tempted to make a new thread as this one looks like it's full of spoilers but I'll just use this one to re-ask OP's initial question. I'm okay with watching classic television (Twilight Zone and Hitchcock are among my favorites). Would watching Classic Who make the current series better or could/should I just jump in the current series.