The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Third Nolan Batman film title announced!

Preach the gosspel, Brotha' Young!

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

He was in some disappointing science-fiction film, like, 10 years ago. Some people think it damaged his career and he only came back this past Summer with Inception. Others think that he never really was a "big star" actor and only did "meaningful" obscure stuff so it makes sense that he was never in another big-name movie until recently.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And that makes him a bad actor how?

I mean, when someone asks "Why is XY a bad actor?" then you gotta reply with something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KyBdPeKHg, but not argue box office or stardom.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ I don't think Trekker was saying he was a bad actor, he was just pointing to other people's ignorance - as in lack of knowledge - of Mr Hardy's career. That's what I took from his post, anyway

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Pretty much.

After Inception came out people kept coming into the thread and saying, "Wow! Tom Hardy is a good actor! He's really shaken off that Nemesis stigma!" and stuff like that.

Now, I'm not familiar with Hardy's body of work but a quick look at IMDB shows he has somewhere around 30 other roles he had in various TV, film roles (among other forms of media.) Even before Nemesis he was only in two other notable movies. He's just obviously one of "those" actors who doesn't do the big, huge cash-in paycheck movies and goes after what he's passionate about. Nemesis was his first really big "property" he did and, yeah, it didn't work out for him but it hardly stalled his career.

Aside from the occasional Burton movie and the Pirates of the Caribbean movies Johnny Depp hardly has a huge breadth of films he's only really popular because of Burton and POTC, same could be said for Brad Pitt various "big projects" but, again, most of his work in smaller productions.

I don't think Haedy is "coming back" or has anything to come back from he's just expanding his career to more main-stream movies.

I actually liked him in Nemesis and he did a decent job with the shitty material he was given and, yeah, highly enjoyed him in Inception I don't think he's an actor still trying to recover from some meaningless movie he did a decade ago that most of the public hasn't even thought about or an actor who needs to prove himself. He's just doing more "main stream" things like Inception and now Batman.

Okay, that's pretty bad. It almost tops this:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5utc5TOPNbo[/yt]

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, I think Tom Hardy had good material to work with in Nemesis -- no Trek film has ever had as strong and thoughtful a relationship between its captain and its villain -- and I think he did an excellent job with it (not a very good Patrick Stewart impression, but still a very good performance). I find him a surprising choice for Bane, since he didn't seem all that big and bulky in NEM or Inception, but I'm assuming that Nolan will focus on other aspects of Bane from the comics. Media adaptations have reduced Bane to a steroid-bulked brute, but he was conceived as the anti-Batman: a character who defeated Batman the same way Batman defeats his foes, by observing, planning, and strategizing from the shadows. He set all of Batman's enemies free to attack him en masse and wear him down, he observed Batman in action and deduced that he was Bruce Wayne, and only then, once Batman was already badly hurt and weakened, did Bane confront him and deliver the final blow. I think that could be a hell of a basis for the third film's plot, and you could use that side of Bane without using the Venom or the luchador mask at all (or at least keeping their use to a minimum, like the minimal use of Jonathan Crane's Scarecrow mask in the first film). And it could be tied in with Bane's later role in the comics as Ra's al Ghul's second chosen heir after Bruce rejected the offer -- which strikes me as more likely if the rumors of Talia's presence in the film are true.

7. JarodRussell

Well he can be pretty bulky if he wants to.

[​IMG]

8. Captaindemotion

^ I keep telling people about that performance and there have even been pics of it on the thread but they keep harping on about him not being bulky enough!

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tom Hardy admitted in an article that he fought depression after "Nemesis" and thought his career was over. If I find the article I'm referencing I will post it. As for "Nemesis"....he was fine in Nemesis, although I question the strong material he had to work with Christopher was referring to. John Logan's script was pretty weak and Stuart Baird's lack of knowledge and inability to work with the actors hurt the film tremendously. Aside from that in the films that I've seen Hardy in...he's been terrific.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Totally agree.

The problems with Shits-on had absolutely nothing to do with Hardy. Even the fact he doesn't look like Stewart wasn't exactly his fault. He was actually quite brilliant with the material he was given.

I've seen a lot of people (not necessarily here) make the comparison to Hayden Christensen. The problem with that is, Christensen took bad material and made it worse. Hardy took bad material and made the best of it.

11. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been confirmed that both Christian Bale and Tom Hardy will lose 100 pounds for their roles and play Batman and Bane respectively as scrawny little twigs.

12. Captaindemotion

The Dark Knight Diets

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the first three letters of "diet" that will end up pit-falling our hero in this installment.

14. Captaindemotion

^ Batman tries his hand at an open mic comedy night and, er, dies onstage?

(If Joel Shumacher had made another movie, this almost certainly would have featured)

15. Admiral_Young

Has there been any more casting rumors? The Talia thing is still out there. Yes, I'm holding out hope.

16. Christopher

Well, I'll have to take your word for it, but I just meant that my initial reaction was one of surprise, not that I still think he can't do it.

And I do think that Nolan is likely to play up Bane's intellectual side more than his physical side, since after all we are talking about a Nolan film here. Do you really think the main villain in the climax of Nolan's Bat-trilogy would be someone who would only challenge Batman on a crude physical level? All his film foes to date -- Falcone, Scarecrow, Ra's, Joker, Two-Face -- have challenged him more on a level of intellect, emotion, and strategy than muscle power. I don't think that's likely to change. So I think that whether Hardy can meet the physical standards for the role is probably a rather unimportant question. I'm expecting Bane-as-mastermind rather than Bane-as-superthug.

17. Admiral_Young

Wasn't there a report a few weeks ago that Tom Hardy wasn't playing the main villain? I only ask because Hardy and Hathaway were just actor confirmations along with their roles. Nolan didn't get into the importance of their roles. I swear I remember reading something last month where Nolan said that Hardy wasn't going to be the main villain. Maybe this has changed since then but it's still food for though. We're all assuming a whole bunch here with casting not finished yet. :)

18. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.
    Nolan only announced who would be in the roles, not who's first or secondary in their parts.
    For all we know, Bane could be to this film what the Calculator was to "Dark Knight".

19. Christopher

I'm not assuming, just conjecturing. Maybe "expecting" was too strong a word.

20. JarodRussell

I'm wondering if anything happens with Mr. Reese, or the Bank Manager played by William Fichtner. Especially Fichtner seemed so totally random to me, as he's a pretty well known face, and I always took the Joker's line "what doesn't kill you simply makes you stranger" as some kind of foreshadowing.