How do Niners feel about TNG?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by TheGodBen, May 18, 2010.

?

How do you feel about TNG?

1. I love TNG, both it and DS9 are excellent

66 vote(s)
    44.0%
  2. I like TNG, but I prefer DS9

59 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. TNG was okay, I have no strong feelings

13 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. I disliked TNG, DS9 was the superior show

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. I loath TNG, it ruined everything

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. I'm not a Niner but I want to vote for the comic option

6 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. It's a good show that lays down some good foundations... it also has many of the same flaws of Voy and Ent, except it's premise is basic enough that it's not as galling. There's a certain thoughtfulness to TNG that just isn't there in, say, VOY.

2. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

Because it could be nobody else. ;)

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

The option I want to vote for isn't up there.

When I was little, I thought TNG and DS9 were both great shows...I was probably into TNG more, because it was simpler and easier for a child's mind to grasp.

Now that I am older--I find that DS9 has aged far better, and the plots are at a level that really makes me think now that I'm grown.

TNG's effects didn't age well, but worse than that...I started to see the truly repugnant philosophy behind it, especially embodied in Picard. While I have good childhood memories of TNG, and there are still certain movies and episodes I like...for the most part I haven't watched it in over a decade so that I keep the good memories as they are, rather than spoiling them.

So overall--I would say "liked it at first--now can't stand it."

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ It sounds like you should be voting for the "I loathe TNG" option. It was high time someone admitted to being a TNG hater, or else people would have thought we Niners were just being sneaky. :p

5. Nerys Ghemor

Well, I wouldn't categorize myself as a hater because I believe others have a right to their opinion. And I would never go in the TNG forum and flame people because their tastes differ from mine. That's their right, and I think fans of other shows should be able to enjoy themselves unharassed just as Niners should.

6. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think they are both great.

I've seen every episode of TNG 1000 times probably, so it definitely feels more stale to me.

Both shows have their strengths and weaknesses I think.

DS9 built on the foundation TNG laid. TNG is the more iconic show. Most people know who Picard, Worf and Data are. Most people will never know who Sisko etc. are.

TNG has an advantage in that you can sit somebody down who never watches Star Trek and they can get into most episodes without having to know a ton of backstory.

DS9 is a show for more hardcore Trek fans. There is more subtlely, more exploration of the Trek universe (strangely, since it is mostly set on a stationary space station).

The DS9 characters grow on a level that the TNG characters never really did. Sure I feel like I know Data, Picard and Worf pretty well. But Troi or Crusher? They are like blank slates in many ways, especially Crusher. I still have no real idea what motivates Crusher or Troi other than broad based likes and dislikes (one likes chocolate..one likes to dance..one is a Doctor..) I don't even know why Troi joined Starfleet.

But with DS9 even the side characters get a lot of exploration. Characters like Garak, Martok, Dukat and Weyoun have more personality than some of the main TNG characters ever did. That is TNG's main weakness and why I think TNG is more friendly to new viewers, but DS9 has more rewards for hardcore fans who watch the shows over and over looking for new things.

But I'm not always in a mood for deep characters and story arcs. Sometimes I just want to sit down and enjoy a good TNG or TOS episode without worrying how it fits into the greater scheme of things.

7. happydave

happydave Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I voted "TNG was okay, I have no strong feelings"

I think a lot of times TNG does get preachy, and a few of the characters really do nothing for me. It's difficult to think TNG is excellent as a whole when I find some of the main cast just there rather than anything exciting. I don't mind episodes themselves but sometimes just the entire tone just doesn't do much for me.

It's ok, some episodes are decent, but there's a lot of stuff which isn't particularly excellent but just "stuff happened... nothing eventful we moved to a new planet and now we're not going to talk about it anymore."

8. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

I voted that I loathe TNG. TNG has always put me to sleep. I'll never understand why TNG was/is popular. There is nothing good about it. It's boring, it has almost no action, it rarely has any SciFi stories, it has zero story development, it almost never has any interesting story, it has zero conflict, it has zero character development, the characters it does have are not even interesting; they are all cardboard-cutout talking heads with generic, almost 100% interchangeable dialogue. It is nothing at all like TOS.

The exact reason why S1 of DS9 is bad is because it is like TNG.

TNG is one of the worst SciFi shows of all-time.

9. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can understand not liking it, but some of what you say just isn't true. It wasn't non stop action, but there were a number of action episodes each season. Also Worf, Picard and Data (and Riker to a lesser extent) got a lot of character development.

And the dialogue wasn't interchangeable. You couldn't switch any of the main character's dialogue and have it make sense, unless it was technobabble.

Are you seriously saying that Worf could deliver Picard's lines and it wouldn't make a difference??

Again, not liking the show is understandable. But at least be accurate in your criticisms.

10. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Had to vote that I love them both and think they're both great shows overall (thus I voted the top option), though the edge would go to DS9 I think.

TNG is what got me into Trek and really drew me into the world, so it'll always have a special place to me, but I do really like the characters and there are a lot of good stories. DS9 really fleshed out that world more, and gave an equally good cast, many more story arcs, and gave us the Defiant.

TNG and DS9 are televised Trek's golden age. TOS was occasionally good, but kinda meh. Then you have TNG and DS9, then Voyager which is mostly good but started to go downhill, and then you have ENT. A rise, a peak, then a fall.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just like 24th century Star Trek. I grew up with TNG, and love it and DS9 about equally. Both have their goods and bads, but the bads don't ruin my enjoyment. I wish we had another 24th century Star Trek, or even 25th, so we're continuing to move forward in the universe instead of rebooting.

12. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't 100% serious in that post... The poll was created in the first place because of a poster who accused Niners of being TNG haters. And TheGodBen used to have a VOY rewatch thread in VOY forum called "A hater revisits Voyager", even though he's not a "hater" at all by any definition.

Isn't the "I dislike TNG, DS9 was the superior show" option the right for you?

13. Nerys Ghemor

I guess. It's just that my opinion was VERY different when I was younger.

14. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

How I – as a Niner – feel about The Next Generation? I love it! I do, however, think Deep Space Nine is a way better show.

15. Mr Cool Dude

Mr Cool Dude Guest

As a Star Trek fan, one thing I have noticed is that these so called Niners are rarely able to esteem the value of their favourite show without denegrating The Next Generation. Try asking a Niner what was so great about DS9 and they'll respond with something like: "oh yeah, it was awesome, it was dark, shades of grey, blah blah blah, and it was much better than TNG. TNG sucked - etc etc".
    They can never talk about DS9 without referencing TNG. I think they have some kind of complex.

16. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ The poll at the moment seems to indicate your impression is incorrect as the vast majority like TNG.

Though if similar numbers vote in this one as they did in the Voyager thread there is still around 2/3 to go, so you might be showed to be correct in time.

17. jadzia_dax2369

jadzia_dax2369 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

hey fellow niners

i like TNG but im a true NINER, i love Deep space nine- it was sooooo much darker than the others, and it was no sheep ( didnt have the borg like both Voyager and The next generation had) which personly i found to be crap. but its just me

18. CaseNumber825

CaseNumber825 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm kind of wavering between the option of loving both TNG and DS9 and preferring DS9.

I think I'm going to have to go with preferring DS9 because, although TNG is the show that really made me emmerse myself in the Star Trek world, DS9 is the show that cemented me in the Trek world and it's the Trek show that I really obsess over.

19. Mr. Scott

Mr. Scott Commander

DS9 was a much better show than TNG. Not that TNG was bad show, but the first season was almost unwatchable and really did not find its feet until the third season. I have TNG on DVD, and I skip probably 40% of the stories.

I have DS9 also, and this show hit the ground running since the pilot episode. I rarely skip over any episodes. This show was good until the final episode. It never let me down. Really the only unwatchable episodes are Bashir with the retarded Augments (the mustached crazy guy, the overly sexaulized woman, the wierd old man and the girl who wouldn't talk,) and the episode where Keiko is possessed by an evil being.

Another thing I really liked about DS9 that it was about family and relationships. Sisko and Jake, Nog, Rom, Quark, Moogie, and Zek, Keiko, Miles and their kids. I do hate the episode at the end of Season 7 when Sisko went away to the Prophets leaving a pregneant Kasidy and Jake alone. Made no sense and made me cry in the end. I loved the DS9 characters. TNG, except for Picard, Data, Worf and Dr. Pulaski, they all couold have been thrown out of an airlock.

20. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

S1/S2 just plain sucked

S3-S6 was very good

S7 just was weaker