The Snowmen Grading and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Dec 25, 2012.

?

How do you rate The Snowmen?

1. God bless us, every one! (Fantastic)

45.3%
  2. Full of Christmas cheer (Very Good)

32.4%
  3. Not a classic, but jolly good fun (Good)

17.3%
  4. Not enough Robot Santas (Fair)

2.9%
  5. Bah humbug! (Terrible)

2.2%
  1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Merry Christmas, everyone!

[​IMG]

The Great Detective prequel:
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G17_B4uACgg[/yt]

Vastra Investigates prequel
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rirju6is4Sw[/yt]

Trailer:
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3KVpvEUTns[/yt]

Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to see this for a couple of days. I fly back to Japan extra early on the morning after Christmas and it's a very long flight. See you on the flip side!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I'm glad you put up both prequels, I hadn't seen the Vastra Investigates one. The cop was more freaked out by the two women in love than the reptile comment or the "Turkish gentleman" :guffaw:

About 9 hours to wait here.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yep, appalling sledgehammer lecturing there.

Anybody notice in the "Great Detective" one that the music is almost identical to the mood music in Web Of Fear episode 1?

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really looking forward to this for various reasons: It's Doctor Who, the new stuff (Control Room and Theme) and we finally get to see more of Jenna Louis Coleman, who I think is the most attractive of the new who companions right now. I really want to love her character.

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

All of this (although I think Coleman and Gillan are neck-to-neck on the attractive level), plus Richard E. Grant is finally on Doctor Who properly after two unofficial appearances AND Ian McKellan voicing the snowmen (although it's a pity he's not appearing in person).

6. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that Tardis door opening thing at the start looked cheap.

7. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Starts countdown to the time the new title sequence is on Youtube. Will it make it there before The Snowmen airs in the US? Sets clock - Gentlemen, start your TARDISes!

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Much more enjoyable than last years, Christmas episode.

As for the main titles music is better than the last version, still not as good as the 9th-10th era one. And yes the face was back in the credits.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Music great (shades of the 'classic' arrangement), titles better (again a 'nod' to past versions) and the best Tardis interior since it came back. Loved the episode too.

Are they going all Southpark ? 'Oh My God They Killed Clara' every episode...

10. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed it and Clara is great and a huge improvement on Amy but I could really do without the mystery surrounding her character. Why does Moffat feel the need to do this again.

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't go that far - the gorgeous Karen Gillan is an impossible act to follow, but the new girl certainly has something...

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Jenna Louise Coleman is also a very attractive lady.

13. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Do her legs go all the way up? :)

14. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Well it was ok, biut nothing special. The cloud exterior and new interior of the tardis was cool. The main adventure was pretty good until the weak finale.

I hope the "mystery" is solved soon, this is a road Moffat has only just tread with amy - following it again STRAIGHT AWAY isn't something I particularly want to watch.

And hey, the great intelligence! Another old-who return to look forward to, it seems.

15. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Oh my God! They killed Clara. You b*st*rds!

16. Serial thread killer

Serial thread killer Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've just clicked who did the voice over in the first prequel.
    I enjoyed this years special a lot more than last years. Just hope the mystery surrounding Clara does not becoming too complicated.

17. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Pretty good, but certainly no classic. Really liked the new Tardis interior.

18. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^Do we see any more of the TARDIS interior than just the control room?

19. Lonemagpie

Well, that was a hundred times better than last year's effort!

Theme tune slightly improved, title sequence very improved. The story was fun, plenty of twists, good callback to the classic show, nice performances and effects... Clara is vgood - JLC is very beautiful, I must say - but I do kind of wish we could keep Strax as a companion, actually. Actually, when they had the umbrella, the Doctor & Clara almost had a Steed & Peel chemistry going. I hope they can keep that up in the spring season.

Memory worm's a bit iffy though - why didn't he have one for Donna, then? Turning things around from his bit of sulking worked well, and - especially with a new TARDIS set and new titles etc - it worked great as a jumping-on point for new or returning viewers.

Good trailer too - was that creature just before the Cyberman-throttling-Clara clip an Ice Warrior without it's helmet? The face looked just like a random skull-like creature, but it had clamps at the end of the arm we could see...

Only after the show had finished did we realise the irony that we'd been eating a souffle (made by Lesley) in the middle of it...

20. Lonemagpie

no, we didn't