Doctor Who DVD Releases 2013

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by VDCNI, Oct 17, 2012.

1. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From the new DWM, all release dates are UK

Legacy Box Set - Shada/More Than 30 Years In The Tardis Doc. 7th Jan

Reign Of Terror - 28th Jan

Ark In Space Special Edition - 18th Feb

The Aztecs Special Edition - 11th March. Will include episode 3 of Galaxy 4 as an extra

Terror Of The Zygons - 25th June

Also Spearhead From Space will apparently get a blu ray release.

2. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want that Legacy Box Set

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I wonder how they will handle this release? In the US, they typically split these box sets up. I hope the 30 Year doc will be available here too.

It's the only story (that I know of) that was filmed completely on film. Of all the stories, that was the one that they could release on BR. I wondered how long it would be before they'd try it.

Let's see ... original release, then the special edition, now a blu ray. What kind of new features could they possibly have found to add to the new release, I wonder?

4. VDCNI

A new Doc about Pertwee and one about Caroline John apparently.

5. VDCNI

Personally it doesn't bother me as I love The Aztecs and will happily buy a second edition but I would guess a lot of people are going to be annoyed by having to buy a rerelease in order to get the Galaxy 4 episode.

Inferno Special Edition is also coming next year, no date though as yet.

6. OmahaStar

That one does annoy me. The first version was already a two-disc release, which means it retailed at 35 bucks. A special edition of that would likely mean a three-disc release and 50 bucks retail.

Guys, I've only got so much money. Pick these double (and triple???) dips wisely.

7. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

Dammit! I just bought The Aztecs a month ago. Are we going to be getting special edition releases of every serial or are they just picking and choosing?

8. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

They're picking and choosing based on possibility for new special features, improved video quality, etc. For example, new restoration techniques will make "Inferno" look significantly better than it originally did. The same is true of "The Aztecs" and "The Ark in Space."

9. OmahaStar

And now we know ... linkified

Flash version ... That's one of two versions they did with the Eighth Doctor, and was (maybe still is?) available on the official website. Interesting.

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

What version is the main Shada? is it the VHS version with missing scenes being replaced by Storyboards and Tom Baker Narration?

The Flash Bonus, is that the Paul McGann Audio Play with storyboards or Animation?

I burned my VHS Tom Baker copy mentioned above to DVD, so, I may upgrade to this (Assuming of course, that we in the US get the same offer)

11. OmahaStar

Don't know.

That information IS for the US. Date confirmed - January 8th.

And on that note, did anybody else catch 2entertain's Mr. Hall's comment? They are releasing new Doctor Who material every 3 weeks in 2013, leading up to something "huge" on the actual anniversary date.

12. Sindatur

Oh, well... that makes it a more immediate decision, I was expecting to wait a good six more months :alienblush:

Any idea where and when those details on the versions might be detailed? Might someone have it posted before release, or will it have to wait until release date for someone to write it up?

Something Huge on the Anniversary date? Ooh, excited about that:drool:

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I'm really looking forward to Terror Of The Zygons. But when is The Mind Of Evil coming out?

14. Brendan Moody

"The Mind of Evil" has been held back a bit due to the use of a time-consuming colorization process to restore episode one. (The other five episodes have been restored to color using the same chroma dot technique as on episode three of "Planet of the Daleks," but the episode one recording doesn't have chroma dots.) Some sample frames from that episode can be seen here. But if the colorization isn't complete by the DVD's ultimate production deadline, the episode will be released in black and white. The plan is to have all classic serials released by the 50th anniversary in November 2013, so one way or another it'll be out by then.

15. Sindatur

Damn, I'm quickly realizing Doctor Who in 2013 is going to be a consistent expense. I have the Black and White PBS episodes burned to Disc from VHS recordings, but, a Color (At least mostly) Version of it is pretty irresistible.

Definite Necessities so far:
    Shada/30 Years in the TARDIS
    Mind of Evil
    I'm sure there's at least an Audio Play or two I've already decided I need

Did Ambassadors of Death get finished with it's Colorization, or is it still a Kluge of scenes from wherever they could find them, Many in Black and White? I'd like a Full Color version of it as well

Generally, the Special Features sound attractive to me, but, I never get around to watching them all, so, not too worried about most of the Special Features on Series or Movie Box Sets in general* (Though, of course, whatever version the Bonus Flash Shada is, it's almost certainly going to be valued)

*I've got the Extended Edition DVD Box Sets of Lord of the Rings, with a Disc or two per movie of Extras, and I've barely watched most of it. (I have watched the Extended Edition Movie marathon twice, though)

16. Brendan Moody

"The Ambassadors of Death" is entirely in color on the DVD release. In fact, I don't believe any part of any Pertwee DVD release so far has been black-and-white only, although the color version of Part One of "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" is presented as a special feature because it's not of broadcast quality due to problems with the chroma dot restoration process.

17. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Could we possibly get a surprise like a fully colourised version of "An Unearthly Child"? Or would that be to hard to keep secret?

18. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Id rather more animated missing episodes than recoloured B&W episodes.

It's fine to re-colour colour eps that only exist in now B&W but I dont think the original B&W episodes need top be colourised.

19. VDCNI

Why oh why would they colourise B&W stories, utterly pointless.

If they've got money to burn like that then more animation should be the way to go.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  20. Sindatur

Yea, definitely would rather have Animations made of B&W missing episodes before even thinking of colorizing B&W episodes that were never color to begin with. Now sure, some day, when we have all the missing episodes, it might be cool to have a choice to see the B&W episodes colorized, but, certainly not while there are so many missing episodes