The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

...? Why wouldn't that be the case? I don't think anyone ever believed the writing of poor episodes would somehow be improved.

2. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that is a big wtf? Of COURSE the content of the episodes will not improve but I will say that the re-watchability for me will be increased just because they will be clearer and the new/improved look of the effects.

The DVD's are very poor esp when watching them at over 90" diag. as I do.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've simply seen the arguments in TOS-R threads where people try to argue the content is somehow better and it really "improved some episodes". When it did nothing of the sort...

4. 22 Stars

It did nothing of the sort FOR YOU, but i will tell you for me, and others, the clarity of the show did affect my enjoyment of both the good and bad episodes, and even poor episodes have moments I would like to revisit, in clear HD not muddy poorly compressed DVD.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, a terrible episode that has massive special effects in it, would definitely be improved by the remastering, since the special effects would now be worth watching.

6. 22 Stars

I agree, Tin Man is one of those for me. Didn't love it, but I know there was a ton of FX stuff going on. Galaxy's Child is another, and even Dauphin.

7. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it. I believe it is GC because I recall the original SD shot was a little "wobbly" where the model (camera) was moving side to side a bit. this appears to be gone in the HD version.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

So you have episodes that you now rank higher than other episodes based solely on the effects work? That was what I was talking about...

9. 22 Stars

Ah, not talking about their relative 'ranking' against each other of my favorites, suffice it to say the whole series will be much more watchable for me in HD. I will be inclined to revisit the whole show, both good and bad eps. now.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's not so much about improving the stories, but the fact we'll be seeing these stories in the kind of incredible detail and clarity that we've never had before. That's where I expect most of the thrill will come from (at least for me).

Getting to see a bunch of new and improved special effects along the way certainly won't hurt either.

11. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Yeah... "Farpoint" and "Inner Light" each show about 102% of the DVD image, while the non-VFX shots of "Sins" -- i.e. the majority of the episode -- is usually displaying only about 83-85% of the DVD. I just hope they correct this oversight on the Season Three Blu-ray set.

12. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Yeah, that's a considerable loss of image. I don't understand how that one got by them to be honest. It's really nice when the other episodes have had slightly more image, but to lose so much...and have it smaller than the TV transmittable area is a pretty glaring error. :eek:

Anyone here in contact with Doug Drexler? Perhaps we should post to the comments section of his website to make sure CBS is aware of the problem so it doesn't happen again in future efforts.

13. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a serious issue. And its one that does absolutely need to be addressed to the buyers.

14. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AS for the impact on the quality of the production, while the acting, dialogue, and story will have no impact, teh production design will. This is far, far more then just special effects. Just look at the difference in EaF and see large the impact is on the Director of Photography's work. That's something in literally every single frame, and its huge. The clarity is also true for the sound track, and sound effects.

15. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is definitely an issue that makes me wonder. Why are we seeing less picture now? Why only on this episode? I'd like to hear an explanation from CBS before passing judgement though.

That said, I don't think this would stop me buying the show.

16. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Here's one possible explanation...

[​IMG]

See here and the posts following for context: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21627503#post21627503

It's just speculation at the moment. I've asked Burnett on Twitter about the 16:9 TNG demo he saw last September. We'll see if he responds.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

The framing issue is bizarre -- and disappointing. I hope someone from CBS addresses this at some point soon with the fans.

18. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I left a message on Doug Drexler's website, hopefully he sees it and is able to address it with CBS. I certainly don't want to see the rest of the episodes cropped that badly.

19. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

Interesting. I just put the DVD and the Blu Ray up side by side. The 13 seconds of SD footage seems to be framed pretty much identically to each other (not surprising), but the insert shot of the computer monitor that follows seems to enjoy the same wider Blu Ray framing seen in the other episodes. Then the cut back to Riker and Beverly looking at the monitor returns to the tighter framing seen throughout the rest of the Blu Ray.

20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral