The Dominion war

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mr Pointy Ears, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

What if the dominion and their allies won the war and the Cardassains decided that they want the AQ for themselves and turn against the dominion,would they be strong enough to defeat the dominion?.

2. Odo's_Bucket

Odo's_Bucket Commander Red Shirt

Probably not. The Dominion is much larger than and has far more available resources than the Cardassian Union. So, I would say no.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

No. I doubt that Cardassia would be able to put up much of a defense against the Dominion should the Dominion begin a full scale offensive against them. We saw that the Dominion easily razed Cardassia in the series finale, most likely the Dominion was also prepared for Cardassia turning against them and was ready to exterminate all of Cardassian space. The invasion of the AQA simply prevented that in the series finale.

4. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No chance, especially if they regain the wormhole and connect back up with the Gamma Quadrant. I don't the Cardassian's ability to hold Federation, Klingon and Romulan space without the Dominion.

5. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

No way. Cardassia benefitted from Dom tech towards in the war's end. That's why we see the success at Chin'toka 2 and when they turned on the Dominion. Cardassia did not do well vs the Klingons and really got exposed.

6. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

This is like asking if a bird trapped in a cage that went down on the Titanic has any chance of escaping, making it all the way to the surface and flying away.

The Dominion conquered every inch of Cardassian territory without firing a shot, and spent the months leading up to and the years during the war fortifying it.

No chance.

7. ATW

ATW Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think a better question is...

If the Cardassians decided to rebel against the Dominion after the war was won by them would there be an alive Cardassian inside Dominion territory? The devastation of Cardassia Prime would be nothing compared to what the Dominion would have done to the whole Union.

8. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Depends on whether or not Odo shared the cure with the Founders. If not, then the Cardassians could sit back and wait until the changelings died out and stage a rebellion. Who knows how things would turn out without the Founders calling the shots? Also, if the Founders died off, what effect would that have had on their alliance with the Breen?

9. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

^ Depends what the Vorta did...Weyoun or another could have recognised a chance to seize power for himself, and pretended he was taking instructions from the Founders, whilst running the Dominion himself...after all if their reclusive leaders suddenly became even more reclusive, who would know the difference?

10. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Wouldn't work for very long. The only reasons the Jem'Hadar take orders from Vorta are the Founders and ketrecel white. Without the Founders, the Jem'Hadar would most likely attempt to seize control of the white, and they would probably do so successfully. The Vorta are not the warriors the Jem'Hadar are. The Jem'Hadar also showed a willingness to kill Vorta when they deemed it neccessary. In my opinion, without the Founders, the Dominion crumbles fairly quickly. And we haven't discussed the tactical advantedge lost with the Founder's deaths. No more means to infiltrate and sabotage their enemies.

11. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

^ But if the Founders all died but no one knew, then the Vorta could keep acting like everything was normal...if they didn't know anything was up they wouldn't have a reason to rebel

12. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most Jem'Hadar would have never seen a Founder in their short lives anyway and the vast majority follow their orders "through" the Vorta without question, so it is very likely they wouldn't notice if the isolationist leaders of the Dominion did disappear.

Next how do you prove to the fanatical Jem'Hadar that the Founders are dead? If you show them some Founder dust I doubt they would care. If the Founder's body did remain intact I still doubt they would believe it and consider it a Federation trick.

Look at Weyoun, he seemed aware that Founders could be killed but when the Female Changeling said to him in WYLB that she was dying his reply was: "You're not going to die. You're a god." How do you break that kind of faith?

Also the Female Changeling seem unconcerned about her death having any influence on the Jem'Hadar or the Breen at all and was pretty convinced they would fight to the last even with her death.

Even if the Jem'Hadar did rebel they are entrenched in the Cardassian Union, if they fight amongst themselves they would probably that the Cardassians down with them. If it is a mass rebellion and they come out pretty much intact what do the Cardassians do then? Without the Vorta to be the diplomats the Jem'Hadar might be more ruthless towards the Cardassians and put them in their place.

As I said above I don't think the Cardassians can hold the Alpha Quadrant without the Dominion just because they don't have the numbers. So if they won there simply would be too many Dominion ships and troops to overthrow. Their best hope would be that the Jack Pack was right and in several generations their decendants could overthrow the Dominion.