The Pope

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Deranged Nasat, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The fact there are people on the internet as proud to share their next to criminal ignorance with the world as you just have... doesn't surprise me. It does sadden me though.

2. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

You are incorrect. Christian tradition holds that the Apostle Paul was martyred, likely by beheading. There is no documented evidence that he was crucified. The only evidence of his death that we have is in the writings of St. Ignatius, whose writings noted the death and martyrdom of Paul.

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Sector 7 meant St. Peter. Peter is said to have been crucified upside down. St. Paul was beheaded as you say.

4. Maestro

What you think he meant and what he said are two very different things in this case. In fact, this mistake may very well impeach his argument.

5. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I'm really hoping for George Ringo, to offset the two John Pauls we've already had.

6. Maestro

I was always more of a Monkeys fan, myself.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Never really understood the concept of the Pope either. Mere mortals appoint him by worldly standards, with a hint of political intrigue. As someone living in the 21st century, I'm asking myself what authority that particular guy has over anyone.

But on the other hand, it is a very positive thing that a church as huge as the catholic church has one guy at the top that plots the course. Islam doesn't have that, which is why there are thousands of different directions and interpretations, the source of chaos and mayhem. I long for the day of the Muslim counterpart to the Pope.

8. chardman

Vatican Stance on Evolution & Darwinism

The Vatican claims Darwin's theory of evolution is compatible with Christianity Telegraph article from 2009

9. chardman

Pope Allegedly Sought Immunity For Abuse Crimes Just Before Resigning LINK

Said immunity was sought because rumors has it that some international body was about to issue an arrest warrant for the Pope. Here's a link to a whole mess of links about such, via Google LINK

10. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Vatican Stance on Evolution & Darwinism

Nobody makes a monkey out of me......and it's just coincidence that i'm having a bannana sandwhich for lunch. lol

11. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Very interesting.

I consider it very unlikely that the Ex-Pope will go to jail. Even if he will end up in a trial and found guilty.
    Considering his age and health the worst that will happen to him is some form of mild house arrest and the church will happily provide a nice golden cage for him.

I hope, though, that this will trigger a full blown investigation that destroys this conspiracy once and for all and the church gets new people in charge who are on the side of justice for a change.

If that happens the whole celebacy thing should also be abolished, as it's a major driving force of priests acting on their darker impulses.

And they need to know, that they can and will be held responsible.
    Everone that commits those atrocities in the first place and everyone who helps with cover-ups.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be less skeptical of these allegations when the New York Times carries them.

13. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Timelord Victorious, if you have any actual evidence of celibacy being the driving force, please cite it. 'Cause I've never seen any. Many convicted pedophiles are married. The first clergy person I ever heard of molesting a child, decades ago, was a married Episcopal priest. Teachers, Boy Scout leaders and doctors are not required to be celibate, and plenty of them have been charged with various inappropriate actions with their students/scouts/patients.

This.

And when Snopes.com posts their conclusion. Right now it says they're researching the allegations.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

That proves it!

Wokka wokka.

15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if I generalized a bit much I apologize.

But I didn't say celibacy is the driving force, I said it is a major driving force. There is a difference.
    And of course not only celibate people turn into pedophile sex predators.

i think, most people would agree that most pedophiles have a psychological predisposition of some kind.
    I doubt they go out of their way to be evil.

However, I also think, that suppressing your general sexual instincts will certainly not help keep those darker urges in check if you have them.
    There is a good chance it will amplify them eventually... in my layman opinion.

And just to be clear, I don't have seen any studies, so it is not a proven statement. So take it as just an opinion. ;)

That said, are there even any studies on percentages of pedophile priests compared to the general public?

At best, there won't be any difference.

16. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw this thread, and I'll I can think of is for a while we're going to have a Nope instead of a Pope...

17. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^Groan.

That works. :bolian:

I haven't seen any studies. My suspicion is that any occupation that provides extensive access to children would have a higher percentage of pedophiles than occupations that don't.

18. RevDMV

RevDMV Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Multiple 14 hours days, I'm digging deep for any minor chuckles...

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kF8I_r9XT7A[/yt]

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recommend fish jokes, and lots of them.