Does Superman Need A Make-Over?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Aug 18, 2010.

?

Does Superman Need A Make-Over?

Poll closed Nov 16, 2010.
  1. No. The Traditional Look Is Fine.

74.4%
  2. Yes...Like Superman Returns.

16.3%
  3. Yes...Like Superman X.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes...Like Clark's Outfit Smallville S9.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Yes...Something Totally Different Though.

9.3%
  6. Meh...Whatever.

9.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ AFAIK, that's exactly what JMS' current Superman arc is doing now, called "Grounded". Superman literally is walking across the entire country, getting in touch with the people.

2. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

That would be awesome!!!!

Make into a dark comedy.

3. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

I would like a superman film that explores him as he very slowly ages compared to the rest of Humanity, he has to watch Lois die of old age, he watches Humanity go extinct despite his best efforts, he saves the planet from the sun getting bigger and expanding, and he is left in his old age on a cold dark earth circling a cold dead sun.

4. The Comedian

The Comedian Captain Captain

Neat idea, but I don't think even Superman could live that long. Maybe five hundred years, tops.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I definitely like the idea of following him over the course of an entire lifetime, and seeing how his relationships would evolve, and all the new kinds of enemies he'd have to deal with in 200 years.

Plus it would be a nice excuse to break away from the Lois/Lex/Daily Planet formula and see him in a different kind of world.

6. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing that's been consistent about Superman is that he ages at the same rate as the rest of us. If you want another Highlander movie, make that, but don't shoehorn Superman into it.

7. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Drat.. i thought it was a general make-over and not only for the movies.

I'm not a big DC follower.. i know about the majors and the biggest events but not much in detail as i'm a Marvel man (or used to be.. different story).

Personally, since i aquired my own taste somewhere in my 20s, i believe that the Superman costume is outdated.. big time. Yes.. it is iconic but it is a relic from the 40s where Superheroes aparently wore their underwear over their suits and had clashing colors to match.

For me Superman's costume didn't age that well as opposed to Batman's for example. The whole 40s color composition of the costume is a big no today when new heroes are developed but since Superman is one big icon any change is near suicide as DC learned in the 90s with "energy" Superman and his costume (personally i found it bold and refreshingly new.. liked it) so it will be here to stay.

However i'd really like an updated look akin to Wonder Woman's make-over. Keep the theme and basic iconography but modernize it.

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed...

Why can't he be an "outlaw ass kicker" and still be the big boy scout?

I haven't seen Superman IV, but I do like the idea of Supes throwing all nukes into space, without concern for governmental complaints. Heck, I'd love to see a Supes rid Iran and North Korea of its nukes, find bin Laden and deposit him cuffed in Central Park, round up and destroy Hamas' weapons, protect the genocide victims in Darfur and dismantle any uninhabited, in-construction Jewish settlements on Palestinian land.

That'd all be fodder for Act One, of course, as he'd need a worthy adversary as some point, but it could be a hell of a starting-off point.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

10. A beaker full of death

There is, and never has been, any such thing.

11. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the majority of us don't want batshit I/P mentalism taking over this thread - if you guys want to talk about that, start a thread down in TNZ.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That to me is why the George Reeves Superman was so ideal. He was tough as hell and had no problem roughing up the bad guys (often appearing annoyed or pissed off while doing it), but yet never lost that sense of underlying nobility and goodness.

I know some of the comics since then have tried to duplicate that, but somehow it just doesn't come across as well as it did with Reeves.

13. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I believe there was a pitch some years ago for a trilogy of movies beginning with the prophecy on Krypton and ending with Superman's death at the end of the universe.

14. A beaker full of death

Very good - but isn't that the problem with a political, or even simply "extra-legal", Superman? Given the amount of power he has, can he really be anything other than the big blue boyscout - within the law - and still be a hero?

This harks back to my "Seduction of the Innocent" thread. When was the last time we saw and unabashed, decent "good guy" on the screen without it being done ironically? Do we really want all our heroes to be retreads of Wolverine?

15. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Yeah, that was stupid. Although I have to say that look would work for another character -- I like the blue incaration.

What exactly is "batshit I/P mentalism"?

BTW, I voted "No."

16. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Israel/Palestine

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of how Kevin Smith described his work on the Superman Reborn script.

Producer:
    "There's only three things I want: 1. I don't want to see him fly. 2. I don't want to see him in that suit. 3. He's got to fight a giant spider in the third act."

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Optimus Prime? :D

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah that was Jon Peters who Kevin was referring to. In the behind the scenes documentary for "Superman Returns" there's a bit where Peters is praising Bryan Singer saying stuff like "I should have listened to him from the start. This guy knows exactly Superman is all about and is making a kick ass film" That's not his exact quote but I couldn't help but laugh thinking about the complete 180 from Smith to Singer. LOL

20. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    "Giant fucking spiders!"

Although I thought Brainiac wrestling a polar bear would have been funny. :lol: