More new blurbs - STO and Unspoken Truth

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Feb 2, 2010.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Once more, my checking of S&S' website has yielded new information - blurbs for The Needs of the Many and Unspoken Truth.

For The Needs of the Many:

This sounds even more exciting than I thought it would be - this looks like it's essentially a Trek history book, along the lines of the works of Antony Beevor and Niall Ferguson.

And, Unspoken Truth:

Also intriguing.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Cool!

3. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Interesting stuff!

4. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I was already going to get both books, but those blurbs make them sound even better. Especially the Unspoken Truth. That sounds fantastic :techman:!

5. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great stuff, I can't wait.

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

"Unspoken Truth" sounds great; I look forward to it.:)

As for the STO book. Hmmm, I'll buy it because I trust Martin and because, hey, it's Trek. I'm not enthusiastic about great wars against Species 8472, although since this is in a continuity dedicated to a war game it makes perfect sense, of course. Still, I'm wary. How many planets vapourized in this one? I wonder to what extent the book's description of fluidic space and Groundskeeper (okay, Undine) culture will match that in Places of Exile/Unworthy? Still, I'll pick it up; it looks like it'll be quite unique and, as I say, I trust Martin to write a good novel.

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^I thought Jake Sisko was writing it ;)...

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The new StarTrek Magazine has a book ecxerpt from the Needs of the Many with Jake Sisko interviewing Annika Hansen .I'm definitely planning on getting this book.And the synopsis for the Saavik novel is very intriguing.I plan on getting both of these books next month.:techman:

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Probably not at all. STO is doing is own thing, and this book is based on the game's continuity and needs.

I don't think the Groundskeepers/8472 as I depicted them in Places of Exile would be willing to engage in a war of the duration implied in that blurb, since the longer they continued to interact with our universe, the more it magnified their problems back home. They'd want to make it quick and devastating if they tried it at all -- and in the wake of PoE's finale, I don't think they'd see any need to. So this is probably based on a completely different set of assumptions about 8472. Which is, of course, their prerogative.

10. Deranged Nasat

Thanks. I sort of expected as much. I suppose it will be interesting to compare their interpretation of the 8472s with yours, assuming they're described in any detail. :)

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, both of these sound awsome. Of the two I'm more interested in Unspoken Truth since I'm a big Saavik fan. I just wish I could get my hands on The Pandora Principle first. I understand that it's not going to be a requirement to read 18 years ago, but I still would love to be able to get the extra background.

Does the whole Romulan soldier concept come from TPP or is that something new that MWB came up with?

12. Christopher

Not sure which part of the blurb you're referring to when you say "Romulan soldier concept." The basic Saavik backstory of Hellguard and the Romulan-Vulcan hybrid children was created by Vonda N. McIntyre in her novelizations of The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock and elaborated on by Carolyn Clowes in The Pandora Principle (although other authors in novels and comics have done their own distinct variations on the premise, all building on McIntyre). I'm fairly certain that the Romulan claiming to be Saavik's father is original to Unspoken Truth.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I meant their attempts to "breed the best, brightest, most loyal sodiers". I started to say super-soldiers, but then I wasn't sure if that was appropriate.

14. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Did we already know that a war with 8472 was a part of the Path To 2409 or whatever? That seems kind of out of left field, but I'd be willing to believe I wasn't paying attention.

15. Christopher

I think that's new to this book.

The "Path" material doesn't seem to have gone farther than 2392 yet, at least as far as Memory Beta reports. But there are hints of possible Species 8472 incursions near Federation space in the 2390 and 2391 entries.

16. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Ok, that makes sense.

17. 8of5

8of5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Path to 2409 itself seemed to have stopped before that reveal. But there were also a couple of history videos, The Future Past, which gave briefer summaries of The Path as well as continuing it on right up to 2409, which did reveal the Species 8472 manipulation. Link

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Maybe the game is like a choose-your-own-adventure and the ending depends on your gaming skills?

19. Deranged Nasat

:lol: That would actually be quite fun. :)

20. garamet

garamet Writer In Memoriam

What you said. :)