DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The art in "Superman" is beautiful but also, right now, it has bit more "grounded in 'reality'" story that I can somewhat get into.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

When has Superman ever been been grounded in reality?

His best moments was when the writers let loose with the wild science fiction and silver age surrealism.

It's what gave us Darkseid or the Legion of Super Heroes.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  3. Trekker4747

I dunno, somehow what Morrison does goes a bit beyond what I like. It's hard to really put a "pin on it" but it's a feeling of style.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

House of UIster put it nicely regarding Superman.

Morrison's work pushes you to attempt to accept things that you know you're unable to. It's almost like he is writing a "Doctor Who" episode with the terminology and "technospeak" that he uses in his work. It can throw people off. He explores big ideas and goes on tangents that are hard to follow. As has been brought up in the thread before, his work isn't for everyone, which is why you have a lot of fans like me that absolutely love him, and a lot that dislike his work. He seems to be a polarizing writer.

This is probably why I love Jonathan Hickman so much. He writes like Morrison does.

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

One thing about Morrison is that, while I do love his work, it is NOT a good fit for a monthly book. His stuff always reads much better in collected form. He relies on his audience to remember minor details or to fill in blanks themselves. This can be very difficult in a monthly comic when what he's referencing was in an issue that may have come out over a year ago.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I always reread the previous issue before reading the new issue of a Morrison book or else I'll have no clue what's going on :lol:

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I usually just drop a tab of acid.:cool:

8. Trekker4747

Honestly, I'd say reading his stuff isn't itself too far removed from being on acid.... I assume.

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I admire Worlds Finest more than I like it. The concept is workable, I enjoy the artwork, but the writing isn't gelling for me. It's a boring book, and the characters range from unlikeable to bland. However, I do like the banter between Helena and Damian, and the age difference between them keeps the "You're me but gender-swapped" subtext from becoming creepy.

10. Trekker4747

Well, they're not the "same person", isn't Helena the product of Batman and Catwoman and Damien the product of Batman and Talia al Ghul?

I like World's Finest as well but it does seem to "lack" some direction. I mean, where is the book going?

Read "Dial H" last night as well as "Earth 2." Earth 2 I'm wavering on a bit as well as Dial H. But this issue of DH actually wasn't too bad and actually seems to be taking the story forward. One thing that is odd other than the occasional wink or nod in the art it seems disconnected from the rest of the DCU. Where IS Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. during all of this? It'd be nice to seen SOME reference to them.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i quit reading Dial H after a few issues. i dunno, i might pick it up again. it just felt like a comic that needs to be read via trades.

12. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of all the New 52 series I started reading - probably about 20 of them - I'm now down to just one - Batman. Snyder's still bringing it there at least. Everything else is just boring. I used to be a DC guy, but my Marvel pull list has grown as my DC pull list shrunk after the New 52. Sad.

13. Admiral_Young

^ That's similar to me. Up until last year my pulls and shelf at home would be dominated with DC titles and graphic novels, with barely any Marvel. Now that has changed considerably. I'm down to five books now (Aquaman, Action Comics, Batman, Batman Incorporated, and Wonder Woman). The rest are all Marvel pulls and a couple from other companies.

14. Trekker4747

:lol: I've picked up MORE since last year! But I do plan to drop TDK when the current arc is over, same with Catwoman. Dial H likely will be dropped. But that still leaves me with:

Action
    Worlds' Finest
    Earth 2
    Detective
    Batgirl
    Batman
    Superman
    Supergirl
    Aquaman
    The Flash

The Flash I'm sort of on the fence with, though.

15. Admiral_Young

Justice League is my fence book since I've picked it back up...it's probably going to be added back permanently now that it's been good.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

I'm liking Earth 2 much more than Worlds Finest, the story is just better and the introduction of a female Red Tornado means I will keep on getting this.

Worlds Finest is just spinning its wheels and doing a real slow burn to get to the point of someone else using the boom tubes to cause trouble.

Phantom Stranger is mildly interesting. JLDark next month so I will be around at tleast that long.

Swamp Thing and Animal Man continue on and I am liking the Rot Storyline.

Detective 15 was poor at best. Emperor Penguin. Batman in a funny colored outfit. Umm thats evoking way to much of the sixties for me. Also the line that Clayface had the fight go out of him and the GCPD can handle it was very funny.

Overall I am at only getting about two thirds of the books I used to.

17. Trekker4747

Yeah, WF certainly is spinning its wheels. SOMETHING needs to happen in it, none the less I'm enjoying the titular characters in it.

18. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Right now I'm reading:

Action Comics (dropping after Morrison leaves)
    Batman
    Batman and Robin (dropping after Death of the Family)
    Batman Inc
    Batgirl
    Nightwing
    Earth 2
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern New Guardians
    The Flash
    Aquaman
    Wonder Woman
    Justice League

I dropped World's Finest officially, now. I'm on the fence about Nightwing and the Flash right now. The books have been mediocre for a while after starting mostly strong. I'm a huge fan of both of the characters, though, and would really hate to drop them. I've already decided that Action and B&R are on the block. I'm loving Action Comics, but I just don't see myself wanting to continue it after Morrison exits. Batman and Robin had a good first arc, but has been pretty pathetic since then. I'm just going to hold on to it through the crossover. Though, Batgirl aside, the other DOTF crossover issues have been routinely terrible. It's as if Snyder is the only one that actually knows what he's doing with this.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  19. Trekker4747

Guess I'm also getting the Smallville "Season 11" comic as well as (non-DC) Ghostbusters and TMNT.

I agree The Flash started strong but lately hasn't been.

20. Admiral_Young

Completely forgot about Smallville Season 11...only I've been getting the digital version each week so I don't really count it as a print book since I'm not getting the printed version.