Favorite Regeneration SCENE

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Emperor-Tiberius, Nov 15, 2013.

?

Favourite/Best Regeneration Scene?

1. First TO Second Doctor ("Keep warm.")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Third TO Fourth Doctor ("A tear... Sarah Jane? No, don't cry. While there's life, there's...")

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. Fourth TO Fifth Doctor ("It's the end. But the moment has been prepared for.")

5 vote(s)
    17.2%
  4. Fifth TO Sixth Doctor ("I might regenerate. I don't know. Feels different this time... Adric?")

7 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. Sixth TO Seventh Doctor ("Local... tractor beam..")

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Seventh TO Eighth Doctor ("I've got to stop--!")

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Eighth TO The Warrior ("Physician, heal thyself.")

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  8. Ninth TO Tenth Doctor ("Before I go, I just want to say you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. An

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  9. Tenth TO Eleventh Doctor ("I don't want to go!")

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Alright, Eleven's not expired yet, with a little over a month before his regeneration story, but like with the accompanying Favourite Regeneration and Post-Regeneration stories threads, I'd like to judge the ones we've seen yet. Besides, while Night of the Doctor is short enough to "digest" rather quickly, the Christmas Special might take some time to adjust, like with Tennant's End of Time, which was rather polarizing at the time of its broadcast.

I also reluctantly didn't put the Second Doctor's regeneration to the Third, partly because of all the confusion due to the Season 6B thing, partly because of semantics, really - we didn't see the Third at the end of War Games, did we?

So, with all that in mind, what is your favorite final Doctor scene? Which exit of a given Doctor did you like the most? Which Doctor you thought had the best, most fitting exit?

PLUS, which regeneration effect is your effect, just for bonus.

What do you think?

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen the regeneration scenes on youtube and I really liked 5 going to 6 (That's the one with all the characters quoting death, right?) but my favorite was the first one I saw, 9 turning into 10. It was a really emotional, and, at the time, (Because I was not familiar with all this regeneration stuff) shocking scene.

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My favourite thing about End of Time is the regeneration scene. I loved blowing up the TARDIS! I think 3-4thspeach was the most emotional, and I also love 8-?'s speech, but 10-11 had the best actual regeneration.

4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

5 to 6 had the companions telling the Doctor he can't die and in the middle is the Master urging him to die and finishes with

"Change my dear, and it seems not a moment too soon"

5. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My three choices:

3) Five's regeneration is possibly the most poignant until yesterday's, because it sharply focuses on the Doctor's genuine surprise at his own status. The Adric line is a brilliant piece of continuity, anchoring the entire run of the character since that character's death in that moment of wistful regret, about the companion that he died under his watch, and whose death stigmatized him, apparently for all that time since. It makes the character's vulnerability even more palpable, and in retrospect his niceness all the more of an obstacle for him.

2) That being said, Eight's burden is almost unparalleled. Here's the good ol', Classic Series Doctor, avoiding wars and helping where he can. But this time, he just can't avoid it. He's the only hope of the universe, and the Sisterhood knows it all too well - not only from their adventures from him, but from the prophecies that predicted his arrival (how did those originate anyway?). This Doctor knows he can't shed away his name, and he can't be the Warrior... but he can regenerate into one. And for the first time, he chooses a persona, in probably the most controlled regeneration ever, the Doctor who would have the courage to not be the Doctor "no more". His last line really, is the icing of the cake. "Physician, heal thyself" - a promise to himself, then? A promise for the Ninth Doctor to heal himself after the Warrior breaks the promise of the name of the Doctor? Surprisingly layered writing for Moffat, and fantastic delivery by Paul McGann, who truly shines as the last Doctor in an unbroken row. This is a Doctor who truly had no choice - so he left that choice for the next incarnation to make. And so he did.

1) That being, Ninth's regeneration is the all-around best. Its a sad moment that is simultaneously celebratory, because he doesn't really die, he'll just change his "daft old face". The way Eccleston portrays it is pitch-perfect, a combination of controlled sadness and genuine anticipation. He no doubt feels the same worry about changing, but with Rose next to him, he has to be good. As Eleven said later on for Amy, the first face that Ten saw was Rose, and perhaps Nine felt at ease because of that. Its a lovely combo of music, acting and writing. A truly fantastic exit to an otherwise too-short-lived Doctor.

I also love the Third and Fourth's exits, which are low-key and easily compareable to the above. I just slightly prefer the three above more. That, and my beef with 3 and 4 is that they both needed some "assistance" in their regenerations, and while I don't dislike that (it certainly makes sense for the Third), I feel it was kind of a labored attempt of an added punch to a situation that didn't need any.

Ten's regeneration was... well, put it this way: End of Time was mediocre, at best. But the last 20 minutes of the story were some of the best DW scenes ever. Wonderfuly directed, edited, composed and acted, they were moving in every way... but really, did he have to say "I don't want to go!"? I don't know... I get why he said it, and in direct contrast to his "Allons-y!" but, really, shouldn't that have been his last word? Lets go to the future, and all that? It really strikes me more as a metaphor for RTD than something that Doctor would absolutely say. But still, everything leading up to that was lovely.

The First Doctor is, of course, the regeneration effect, and must be the most suspenceful ever. I just wish there was more of an elaboration into why he felt weak. And the Second Doctor... well, when did he regenerate? Because by The Two Doctors, the War Games ending didn't really occur as it was shown. The Second Doctor never quite regenerated on-screen, and so far off-screen, too. That being said... whether as shown on TV or not, this has to go down as the most tragic of regenerations up until, well, 8 and 10, because it was forced upon him. Not for reasons of war, or for reasons of destiny, but because the Time Lords were douches and felt he had to pay for his "crimes". Talk about hypocrites. And seeing Patrick Troughton's final image as the Doctor be a repeated "No!" is a masterfully tearful exit. A sad, tragic ending for the most fun Doctor.

And of course, Sixth and Seventh's regenerations, basically, sucked. Six's Spiral Scratch, while entertaining, feels as if something's missing in it. And the regeneration itself, of course, is easily the worst ever, for all known reasons. Seventh's in the TV Movie is so random, that I can only excuse it as being a cunning revenge on the part of the Death entity, for what happened in the Master audio story (thanks for that). Other than that, it just seems slightly comical.

Wow, this was longer a post than I thought. Sorry about my rambling! :D

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

A tie between 4th-5th and 5th-6th for me.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Mels into River. :p

8. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

9 to 10

First one I saw, and it was just about fantastic!

:techman:

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Jacobi Master to Simm master! The Master reborn!