What do we know about the years between ST5 and ST6?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Roboturner913, Jul 30, 2013.

1. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Given the statements said by the crew, and reading here. I'd say if the Enterprise was still operating (and I like the idea of huge damage to explain another refit) Kirk would probably be the only constant of the. Probably Chekov too, as his stand-in CO.

Scotty bought a boat so clearly has a lot of time.
    Uhuru seems to be teaching.
    McCoy is... well McCoy, and somehow doesn't know about Sulu.
    and Spock is off starting his diplomatic career and he and Kirk clearly haven't seen each other in a while.

Everyone but Spock and McCoy I can see doing the odd mission.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Or is preparing to having some in the future.

In any case, Kirk had time for a log cabin (but not for a family) some years before ST2, according to ST:GEN. And Kirk's cabin is on Earth and supposedly not mobile, while Scotty might have bought a boat he can try out on every planet his starship visits. ;)

Umm, how so? And what subject?

Timo Saloniemi

3. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    My impression was never that McCoy didn't know Sulu was a Captain, but that he didn't know why all the old Enterprise command crew had been assembled except for him and--as Kirk asks--Spock.

4. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Here's my recent thread about novels in the movie era.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=220531

I'd love to see more novels in this era.

This is the timeline of the stories that happen between STV and STVI. Not all of them are about the Enterprise. What some of these codes mean, I'm not sure.

EDIT: You can also type in the year (2287, 2288, etc...) in the search engine at Memory Beta and it will give you a list of all published works placed in that year.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

FWIW, DC's comic series of the 90s had them more or less on another five-year mission. Works for me.

I believe the original TUC script contained dialog more clearly suggesting (or at least intimating) that the crew was basically puttering around before standing down. I believe the thought that Uhura was teaching comes from her mentioning she's "supposed to be chairing a seminar." That of course doesn't explicitly mean she was teaching.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

IIRC, there were scenes written where Kirk goes out and rounds up the rest of the senior staff for the mission.

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    A version of those scenes were used in the novel The Fearful Summons. the novel was written by Denny Martin Flinn, who also had a hand in wrting the screenplay for ST6.

Not a very good novel, but if you want to know what that sequence might have been like, that's where you can find it.

8. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Isn't there an even bigger gap between TMP and WROK?

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Yes. What does that have to do with the topic of the OP?

--Sran

10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Depends. Onscreen, we can only establish that TMP can't have taken place earlier than late 2272 (because Kirk hasn't been logging star hours for 2.5 years, and Kirk's five-year mission ended during the year 2270 as per VOY dialogue). We can't establish the last possible date for TMP very well, except of course as "before TWoK".

We have indirect evidence, but not much of it. At least some starships adopted the new red wraparound uniform jackets by 2278, as per TNG "Cause and Effect", so it would be odd if Earth and the Enterprise (both central to the Federation and thus likely to receive hot new fashion very fast) continued to wear the TMP wardrobe after that date. However, TMP dialogue also says Voyager Six disappeared more than 300 years before the events of the movie, and in the real world the first Voyager was launched no earlier than 1977.

Our best bet might be to set TMP at early 2278, then, meaning there's a six-year gap to TWoK (in which a bottle from 2283 is considered old) at a minimum. If TWoK and its two sequels take place within three months, as the dialogue rather heavily suggests, and TFF follows immediately after TVH, then there's possibly a decade there until TUC - twice as long as the shortest supportable time between TMP and TWoK.

These are extreme figures, of course, and the truth probably lies somewhere in between - TMP in 2276, say, and TWoK in 2285. There's no way to be more accurate than that.

Timo Saloniemi

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

There's also a line spoken by President Jaresh-Inyo in "Homefront" stating that there hadn't been a Starfleet emergency in nearly a century with the exception of the Borg incident. It's not clear if he's referring to V'Ger as he could be talking about the events of TVH, as well. But it's certainly possible that he could be referring to events one hundred years in the past when dealing with a crisis in 2372.

We also see personnel from other Starfleet installations wearing similar uniforms during TMP, but there's no sign of the TWOK uniforms. Kirk was wearing an admiral's uniform before boarding Enterprise due to his having served as CSO prior to TMP, and Commander Branch and his staff at Epsilon IX wore uniforms much like those worn by the Enterprise crew.

--Sran

12. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In TUC, Uhura mentions that she's supposed to be chairing a seminar at the Academy. She never mentions the subject. I'd assume it has to do with advanced hailing frequency opening.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Please do!!! :bolian:

14. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

In most stories, Uhura is an excellent linguist. Except in "The Undiscovered Country", I guess.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No.

Uhura is never shown to be a linguist in the TV series or movies until J.J. Abrams shows up.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Precisely. It may be a staple of fanon, but the idea that Uhura is some sort of brilliant linguist cannot be found anywhere in the original TV series or movies. At no time is she ever portrayed as being fluent in Klingon or Romulan or any other alien language.

Onscreen, she's always relied on the Universal Translator just like everybody else.

17. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Just one of those things that grew up out of nowhere in fandom. Like Spock being the first and/or only vulcan in Starfleet.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Bingo. And then people forget that it was never actually established on the TV show.

19. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

If anything, wouldn't the red shirt mark Uhura as a brilliant technician or engineer? She is seen repairing systems at least once (in coveralls, no less) in TOS.

The brilliance is inferred from her presence on the Enterprise. YMMV.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, I see her role as that of a tech or engineer for just those reasons. She's great at operating and repairing the Communication equipment. Hoshi in Enterprise is a linguist and wears Science blue. Nuhura is both.