No Radiation Suits In The 23rd Century?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by austen_pierce, Sep 14, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always wondered why Spock and not someone in a full radiation suit had to fix the warp core (or whatever was in that pipe) in Wrath of Khan. The suits/robots/whatever in Into Darkness, with their huge backpacks, look too bulky to fit through the little hatch let alone climb up the piping inside.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Interestingly, they seem to follow a roughly similar design style to the policeman/police robot in Iowa in ST09. Similar visual sensor over the left eye, raised vocorder over the mouth, what appear to be a breathing apparatus/air filters over the cheeks, and decorative vertical markings.

Maybe there's a company out there either producing first responder hazard suits or first responder robots, whatever your preference may be.

[​IMG]

Also, on the subject of radiation suits, they're not radiation proof, they're radiation dampening, essentially. They're just designed to limit your exposure as much as possible. You still will get sick or die while wearing one depending on the level and duration of exposure to the radiation source. Kirk probably knew that even if he took the time to put one on (precious time he did not have) that it was still a one way trip into the highly radioactive warp core.

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

If there are standard issue robots in the Abrams Universe, he'd have correct one of the great failings of the future portray in Trek: The lack of robotics.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we know for a fact that the cop in ST09 was a robot, or could it have been some kind of cyborg?

5. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It could have been a human, an alien, a robot, a cyborg. From what I remember reading in the Art Of book they wanted to keep people guessing.

edit: [​IMG]

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

No, it's not stated in anything canonical. I don't know if the novelization or other materials expands on it at all. That's why I left it open to either being a robot or a man in a suit (or a cyborg works too, like you said).

Personally, I like the idea of it being a robot to compensate for their rarity in Star Trek. Likewise for the two guys in STiD (since they had them put on the face masks instead of being obviously human again). Also, the way he spoke, and calling Kirk "citizen," sounded very methodical and inhuman.

7. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Considering what we're learning about robotics now, I can only imagine what 200+ more years of research and development would bring.

8. SalvorHardin

I'd say Science officer 0718 is another good step in that direction.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hoping he gets fleshed out a bit more in the next film.

10. SalvorHardin

Indeed, I'd love that. :bolian:

11. Amaris

Yes! I love that guy, mainly after reading several interviews with him. When I watched the movie the other day, I made a point to look at him in any scene he was present. What a neat concept, and I'm glad J.J. went with it.

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

That's one of the things I like about the new movies: New stuff. We've got a brave new world to try to explain.

13. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

The Trek universe tended have computers but not robots. Maybe the unions had them banned?

14. Amaris

It makes me want to go back again and again, just to soak up all of the new environments, new technology. I want to see more of this future J.J. has presented me, and I think a lot of people feel the same.

15. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they did have Kirk suit up, they'd have to find another way to severely injure him. Any ideas? Maybe he forgets to zip up the back? :P

16. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Physically. When he realigned the core the blast sent him flying pretty far/hard. Could broke his back or something. :lol:

17. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

See? Exactly! Nothing convoluted or imagination-stretching there, and you accomplish the same end from a story perspective. He could even still crawl his way out and have the scene with Spock.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, half the engineering staff were being treated for radiation sickness when Spock showed up.

19. James

James Guest

This version of ST doesn't need stuff like radiation suits, they conjure up ridiculous ways to being characters back. Like genetic super blood. Maybe Paramount should ripoff the nanobot healing ability of the 2008 KITT so that whenever the Imposterprise gets pounded(in every single reboot movie) it can miraculously heal itself.

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Yeah, for real. What's next a magical planet where the character gets revived and aged at an accelerated rate till he looks like the actor. Or some machine that gives a character the ability to put someone's brain back into their head. Or a planet where the food makes someone live thousands of years. Oh I know, curing an aging disease they'd never seen before in the matter of minutes. I mean, that'd just be silly.

Good thing Trek never did anything silly like that.