The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Brefugee, Nov 23, 2013.

?

So what did you think?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2013.
  1. Brilliant: Geronimo.

188 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool!

38 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Ok: Come along Ponds.

10 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard.

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Terrible: Who da man?

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I can assure you that fan speculations are not on the forefront of Stephen Moffat's preoccupations, but I cannot guarantee it. :lol:

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Obviously talking casting decisions and their rationale. ;)

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Concerning the Zygons plan to invade Earth by hiding in the paintings, if the Queen and the Doctor(s) knew what they were doing in 1562 why didn't they just lockup/remove/destroy the paintings so they could not get to Earths future?? The Doctors even took the cube device with them but left the painting with the queen??

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  4. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only reason the Doctor(s) found out what was happening back in 1562 was because of the 11th Doctor being summoned to investigate what had broken out of said paintings in the future/present. Altering that would've prevented UNIT from getting the 11th Doctor involved in the first place, and worse, it would actually have altered his own personal time line.

Plus, the Moment would have selected that particular future to show the War Doctor, because it would lead to an event where both the Zygons and humans come off better due to the his future selves involvement, and most importantly his own contributions to said outcome.

5. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

I just stumbled upon this video today, its a really well made tribute to Day of The Doctor.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuUmnZ1GRLI[/yt]

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's pretty nice.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Maj. Kira Nerys

Maj. Kira Nerys Ensign Red Shirt

I still don't get how the fourth doctor (is he playing the fourth doctor?) can be there (another metacrisis?), though I absolutely loved Tom Baker to appear and am willing to ignore logic in this instance.
    As a matter of fact, I loved the whole film, especially the interaction of the three doctors. I have seen it at least twenty times already.

9. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not that complicated.
    The explanation is that is was a Doctor from the (far) future and regenerated back into an old face implying that the Doctor will gain control over the regeneration result t some point.

10. Maj. Kira Nerys

Who said that? It's not absolutely clear in the episode.

11. Timelord Victorious

He almost spelled it out around the 0:50 mark.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn9yJrrm2tk[/yt]

12. Maj. Kira Nerys

Yes, I wasn't quite sure how to interpret that (revisit can mean a lot of things), but your explanation seems reasonable and rather likely. So, thanks :-)

13. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    But what kind of a story would The Five Doctors have been if they'd remembered? All the First Doctor would have had to do is say, "Oh, this is no problem. We have to do x, y, and z and meet my other selves here, here, and here, and the whole thing will be solved in time for tea."

The only thing stopping them from doing that would be the determination to not alter their own personal time line. After all, just because you know something will succeed in the future, that doesn't mean you're not excused from doing everything that leads up to it.

I get teary-eyed and a big smile on my face every time I see this scene. Tom Baker was really wonderful, and I'm so happy he came back for this anniversary special. :)

If Romana can decide to wear a copy of Princess Astra's body as her second incarnation, why couldn't the Doctor re-use a previous body he liked? As for aging, the only time Tom Baker's doctor was shown really old was when he was artificially aged in The Leisure Hive. Fortunately, the process was reversed!

14. Maj. Kira Nerys

I had tears in my eyes, too, during that scene. Just when you thought that film couldn't get any better. I watched The Day Of The Doctor in cinema and it was one of the rare occasions where I really didn't want a movie to end.
    When I read on the internet a few days before November 23 that Tom Baker said he was in the episode I almost hyperventilated and told my whole family about it, who had no idea what I was talking about and just thought I was going mad.

15. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

It's a favourite theory among fans. There are many other theories, that are as valid as this one.
    There is no secret "Detailed explanation of The Curator" video, that only platinium members of the official fan club got to watch; there is only what was shown in the episode and anybodies guess is as good as yours or mine.

16. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I hadn't known he was going to be in it, so it was a complete surprise. I was shocked when I heard his unmistakeable voice, and then I started bawling (happy tears, as I mentioned to the others on my Tom Baker forum).

I bet that 30 years ago, Tom Baker couldn't have imagined that just seeing him on a TV screen would make people cry! :)

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Which is exactly what happened in Time Crash, Tennant's Doctor only solved the problem because it remembered how to from the fifth Doctor's memory of their meeting.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

What an odd quote problem I didn't say that, but while it didn't tear me up it was a great surprise and in both of the theater showings I went to people cheered.

19. Timelord Victorious

Nah, completely different situation.
    The only reason Ten remembered how he should solve the problem from when he was Five is because Five saw Ten remember it from seeing and remembering it when he was Five. See? :guffaw:

20. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had managed to stay away from the worst of the spoilers, so I too was genuinely shocked when the camera cut to Tom's face. Oddly enough, I didn't catch his voice the first time I saw it. Clara had said an "elderly" gentleman and when the back of Tom's head was shown, the short curly hair made me assume Smith had encountered Peter Capaldi's Doctor (even tough I knew he wouldn't regenerate until the Christmas Special.

So when I saw not Capaldi, but "my first" Doctor, Tom Baker, I openly wept with joy! Yes, I'd just turned 51 and here I was, bawling like a baby! There, I said it!

I honestly didn't know about his appearance. A friend at work, as big a loving nut of Doctor Who as I kept claiming she thought Tom would appear and I kept politely refuting her. Did she read that particular spoiler? Yes, she did. But she speculated about this for months, long before Tom's interview. So, at that time it was nothing more than fannish hope. But rarely have I been so pleased to be proven wrong!

Sincerely,

Bill