So what do you do for fun?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gryffindorian, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Everyone probably has hobbies and interests to keep themselves preoccupied and entertained. Some like arts and crafts (knitting, quilting, collecting mementos) while others enjoy outdoor activities (like hiking, running, playing sports, etc.).

My life is pretty simple. Watching my favorite TV shows is a huge part of what I do on weeknights. I'm not really into reading books, but I like to read a variety of magazines. I also like social networking and surfing the web whenever I have my laptop/tablet/smartphone with me. I work out on my elliptical machine almost every day of the week to try to stay fit.

On weekends the most fun I usually have is eat out with family or friends. I don't do shopping as much as I used to. I'm going to be on a very tight budget the next few months and will probably do even less shopping and dining out. From time to time, I visit places like the Embarcadero in San Francisco, and on special occasions, I go clubbing with family members. You can tell I don't have much of a social life, but that's all right, since I'm a hopeless introvert. ;)

What say you? What do you do for fun?

Addendum: Going to the movies has gotten more and more expensive over the years, and lately I have gone less frequently than I used to. I do try to catch some new movie releases on Vudu.

2. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read and watch TV, but mostly my life is spent do things with/for my kids: Karate, ballet, baseball, volleyball, not to mention homework and housecleaning.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

So what do you do for fun?
    Online, watch videos, a few computer games, walking, sleep. Waking up in the morning is the most exciting thing about it.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Explore.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I collect spores, molds and fungus.

6. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Indoor:
    Sewing, knitting, reading and baking.

Outdoor:
    Walking, hiking, swimming and other stuff.

And then there is Baseball.

7. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Right now, my idea of fun is 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep. :lol:

In the years BK (Before the Kid), my main hobby was practicing jujutsu. It consumed much of my already scarce free time: I trained 3 times a week, and had day-long practice sessions once or twice a month. I also played pencil-and-paper RPGs once a week with friends.

Those were the main things.

(Well, I guess I could add going at the movies, dining out, or grabbing a beer with friends, but I'm not sure it could be classified ad "doing something"...)

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Do they just grow on you due to idleness and lack of hygiene or do you have to actively cultivate them?

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

stuff

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Print is dead.

11. mimic

mimic Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I go to the climbing gym. In fact, I moved in order to be closer to said climbing gym.

Other than that, I read, watch some TV, and play video games (mostly just Mass Effect).

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Hubby and I watch TV and movies together, we read, we go out to eat or play board games with friends. Yes, we are total geeks. We both play games on Steam, too. Every once in awhile, we go to nearby scifi conventions, as we can't really afford a real vacation. That's pretty much it.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watch football, go to football games, listen to paranormal and the Nerdist podcasts, read sci-fi books, watch Netflix, watch crime shows, play the trumpet, hang out with my girlfriend, hang out with my dogs, raise puppies, go to summer blockbuster movies.

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

When I was a teenager, my main recreational activities were watching sci-fi and horror movies, building models, and masturbation.

I haven't changed in 40 years.

15. TorontoTrekker

TorontoTrekker Vice Admiral Admiral

I volunteer with an organization that puts on science fiction conventions. I was the co-head of the Programming department at a Doctor Who con this past weekend (you may have noticed the link in my signature). I estimate that I've worked on something like 22 conventions over the past 25 years - which included chairing one and co-chairing another within three weeks of each other, and working on a media con and a Worldcon simultaneously - twice.

It gets crazy from time to time, especially in those periods when I'm getting 200 emails per day, but I enjoy seeing hundreds of people derive joy from something that I've helped put together.

Here's a little tidbit from this past weekend - I wasn't directly responsible for this, but someone who reported to me put together a number of games for the kids which involved our local contingent of Daleks:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzWwLj8x2iQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UUVxDJ_jBQ5BvDc19IIpzU5g[/yt]

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

When I'm feeling sociable, I go out to bars with my friends.

When I'm not feeling sociable, I play video games and go to the gym.

17. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't have fun. :vulcan:

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I read, I watch a lot of TV, go to the cinema, I play computer games, but I guess my main 'hobby' is that I write.

19. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

What little spare time I have is currently devoted to learning the piano.

Much to the annoyance of my neighbours. Have you heard the Moonlight sonata played really badly? They have.

20. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I read, play video games, write, program games, hike, take my kids to the park, go to museums, concerts, eat at interesting restaurants, make music, have sex, play board/card games with friends. Probably other stuff that I am forgetting. I have a good amount of fun. :)