Was there a TMP Enterprise outrage ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Belz..., May 23, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I always suspected that, too. Again, the DE axed the computer voice, so I can't definitely tell, but if I remember correctly about when the announcement is, the accident happens a little over two minutes after the mark of two minutes until the test, so it would seem that the test could have had something to do with the accident.

I also now clearly remember the computer announcing that there's a travel pod available after Kirk and Scott arrive.

2. Workbee

Workbee Commander Red Shirt

Yep... God.... that would annoy the hell out of me if I had to listen to that computer voice anounce everything like that. I guess in universe we can assume that Kirk didn't have a chance to customize the ship's "default preferences" because of the emergency, but by the time of TWOK they had been adjusted, hence no adjustments for travel pods or such by the computer in that movie.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Or maybe the "help" system was set to max because the ship wasn't certified fully operational.

4. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

company

5. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Which really makes you wonder what happened to the fail-safes on the transporter if this affect it?

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

14 years in-universe is a lot of time to get the bugs ironed out. Plus, in TWOK the Enterprise was a training ship...they didn't want the buttinski computer voice giving the cadets all the answers.

7. Workbee

Workbee Commander Red Shirt

@Sphere: I think Decker says something about a faulty backup crystal in the transporter circuit right before Kirk comes to relieve him. Seems like that might be a part of a failsafe system.

8. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"The transporter circuit was not activated. Faulty module."

I can only imagine what the transporter's computer system must have been thinking. "What the Hell do you want me to do?! I don't have any brains damn you!"

9. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I know we're getting more OT, but...

That seems like it makes the transporter malfunction even more negligent, either with something in the initial design allowing transporters to work without a failsafe, or with the engineering staff who allowed it to do so. It seems to me without the failsafe working the transporter system should have been automatically taken offline. After all, it seems it was offline for the majority of the time the Enterprise was in the dock. So what's two more crew members being brought up via shuttle? Of course plot wise then you wouldn't lose Cmdr. Sonak thereby making room for Spock to come back.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

What color?

11. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My ideal warp core would have something like TNG's rings of light (but less obviously *neon lights*) going toward the intermix chamber...and then something like the TNG and VOY gas effect in the two conduits coming out of the chamber in the middle...representing the "warp plasma" being channeled off to the nacelles. Maybe I'd try to have some Poltergeist style light show coming from the middle, representing the tremendous energies being released by the destruction of matter and antimatter.

I think the *kinda* had something like that in TNG, but it was a very, very subdued effect.

Of course, really, you shouldn't see ANY of that, as it should all be heavily shielded...but magic Treknology has shields that filter out the bad radiation. (I like Christopher Bennet's description in, I think "Ex Machina", of the "glass" in those TNG conduits being really thick onion layers of insulation and conduits...and where we see inside is really happening in a thin tube in the middle of all those thick tubular layers - it's just so bright, that the light makes it all the way through....)

12. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That's a good way of putting it.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I really like the re-fit back in 79 and love it to this day. I also liked the new interiors. I always felt that on a starship where space would be limited they wouldn't make these giant coridors like they had on TOS. The interiors on the refit in TMP seemed more practical.

14. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm. The TMP corridors were shiny. I wonder what happens if they kept the 60s-style TOS uniforms for TMP instead of the drab 70s-style pajamas they went with?

If you put the crew in TOS uniforms in the shiny TMP interiors and add some lens flares, boom, you have a late-70's JJ Abrams nuTrek look.

15. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Uh...no.

16. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

to answer the original post..Back in '79, as a member of the Sacramento Star Trek Association for Revival I noticed some members (a very vocal small minority of members) HATED just about everything with the movie including the refitted ship, the Klingons, the new uniforms complaining that it wasn't Star Trek anymore. I remember one saying "Damn Gene Roddenberry for ruining Star Trek" . So fandamentalists have been around as long as Star Trek (some out there only consider the first season of TOS [pre Gene Coon] to be "True Star Trek"). I remember the controversy over "militarizing Star Trek" after WOK's release. I also remember the great 1987 Original Series Fandamentalist revolt (as I now call it) against TNG.. and much the same antics were repeated by another very vocal minority..

It always happens, and will repeat itself over and over as long as Star Trek series and films keep getting made...

BTW, I took a strong dislike for the sleepwear "uniforms" of TMP but loved everything else.. And the Neo-Enterprise still hasn't grown on me but it did get a refit after "Into Darkness" so I can always hope...

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I don't like the uniforms they used for the movie and I do wish they had used something that looked more like the uniforms from the series.

18. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Personally I like the TMP uniform that Kirk wore when we first see him. If all uniforms were based on the same design and fabric, but with varying colours for departments, that would have been fine with me and I wouldn't have minded them keeping those until Generations.

19. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally agree with this. The 'all in one' color scheme is what really kills the TMP uniforms for me, it's what makes them look like pyjamas. Kirk's Admiral uniform seen in the early part of the movie is great because it's a two-tone. The white strip down the middle nicely breaks up the colors on the sides. A variant of this with different colors denoting divisions would have looked great on the rest of the cast.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Horrible. Simply horrible.