sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The official descriptions of CBS' Intelligence.

Looks like Meghan Ory is a regular on this series. It's likely we won't be seeing Red show up on Once Upon a Time next season.

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The trailer for Almost Human is pretty good.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The Portal House description is kind of vague, since it says nothing about what's on the other side of the portal or what kind of approach the series would take. Although the title suggests that the house itself would be the main setting, so it wouldn't be a travel-oriented thing like Sliders or Stargate, but more about dealing with stuff that comes through the portal, like Primeval but with a more fixed location. Or like that really lame Australian K-9 series, the unofficial Doctor Who spinoff, where the main characters had a time-space portal-generating device that dangerous aliens kept coming through and it never once occurred to them just to unplug the damn machine when they weren't using it!

And Intelligence bugs me, because it sounds like the guy has the same basic privacy-invading abilities as the Machine on Person of Interest, another CBS series, but since it's a human being doing it, it feels a lot more voyeuristic. Particularly in the hands of a character described as reckless and unpredictable -- the potential for corruption and abuse is enormous.

4. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Intelligence sounds awesome and better than Jake 2.0 or whatever it was that was similar or the computer that wore tennis shoes. Maybe it's not so original but it sounds original enough and timely enough to me to watch. Sounds cool. Is there going to be a gov org. that wants him too?

My favorite current show is still 'Burn Notice'.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That's the plot of House II! (a great underrated movie. Christopher, I think you'd like it)

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Portal House sounds vaguely interesting because, y'know, I like portals and other dimensions. But the name of Steven Spielberg on a TV show is a major red flag.

7. Christopher

Unless it's Pinky and the Brain or Freakazoid!

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Here's the preview for Intelligence:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f-nqhGQeniM[/yt]

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was kind of meh from the description, but that preview looked really cool. I think I'd put it up there under Dracula in my interest level.

10. sojourner

I bet Josh is just happy to be in a show where he gets to be cleaned up all the time.

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dracula looks completely over the top, but the involvement of Daniel Carnivale Knauf merits it some consideration (and a suggestion that the elaborate mythology hinted at in the trailer probably has legs) so I'll keep an eye on it.

Past that Intelligence and Almost Human are passable, if only passable in the sense of 'here is a workable premise for a sci-fi cop series with likeable lead actors and quality production values.' Either one could become a solid series.

Sleepy Hollow's trailer is the most ridiculous trailer I've seen all year. THE SECRETS ARE IN WASHINGTON'S BIBLE!

I still really want a look at High Moon, Bryan Fuller's other new show (the non-SFF Hannibal) has been the most suprisingly excellent thing I've seen all year.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I hope the Intelligence people realize that it takes more than a "chip" to do all that stuff-- he'll also need a receiver and transmitter. :rommie:

Could be. I've never seen either one.

13. Christopher

I'm still not getting any impression that Intelligence will tackle the disturbing ethical ramifications of giving a human being that kind of power. And that makes it seem like it's going to be a more superficial series than Person of Interest. Still, Rene Echevarria's involvement is promising.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Here are the official descriptions of the CW's new SFF shows (Oxygen has been retitled Star-Crossed):

15. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure what to make of any CW show, but if I was going to try one, 100 or Star-Crossed might work.
    Last time people were saying that they were discussing Terra Nova though.

16. sojourner

How do you "secretly exile" 100 people out of 4000?

Star-crossed is Twilight.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

You could lead people to believe they died.

Here are some previews and clips from the CW's new SFF shows:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TDKDqoklEI&list=PL6abPzY300GXBxbdnsYpz9_7FjW-SS8C2&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SsjejXi5mGg&list=PL6abPzY300GXBxbdnsYpz9_7FjW-SS8C2[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SNK5RkQ3F3Q&list=PL6abPzY300GXBxbdnsYpz9_7FjW-SS8C2[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=O2u7768JOP4&list=PL6abPzY300GXBxbdnsYpz9_7FjW-SS8C2[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ-aYWzsmuI&list=PL6abPzY300GXBxbdnsYpz9_7FjW-SS8C2&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Christopher

Actually it was never called Oxygen. It was developed for the Oxygen cable channel before being picked up by The CW, and somebody who wrote an article announcing the pickup mistook the name of the network for the name of the show, and other sources quoted that article and repeated the error. It was always Star-Crossed.

And it's the least interesting one for me so far, other than the vampire spinoff. I'm not enthralled by Tomorrow People or The 100 yet, but they're probably worth a look.

20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Can you provide a link to that effect? Every outlet I've seen has previously referred to it as Oxygen and Variety put an fka (formerly known as) Oxygen in their mention of the title Star-Crossed. Other outlets have also specifically mentioned it as a name change.