Revolution - season 1 part 2 -

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DarthTom, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Why should I give a damn what some random person on the Internet said on a message forum? My "anger" was aimed at the actual people who matter and what they said, and that's the brunt of what I've had to say on the subject. Your words/predictions had/have/will have absolutely no meaning or weight whatsoever despite your apparently lofty opinion of yourself.

So yay, you guessed it would be magic just like everyone else with half a brain did. Good for you. In no way, shape, or form does that not mean the showrunners didn't blatantly lie to us, nor is that an excuse to forgive them for being so full of shit. Especially considering the "quality" of the show. If it were good or compelling, it could at least be forgiven. I just wanted to stick with it long enough to see if they'd surprise me by actually living up to their bullshit.

2. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mister Fandango

"Your words/predictions had/have/will have absolutely no meaning or weight whatsoever despite your apparently lofty opinion of yourself."

You are talking about yourself.

And, in the future, you should really avoid getting emotionally involved to the degree you did in a show you (I assume you are included in the "everyone with half a brain" category) could clearly see you will not like.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Apparently you did give a damn about the opinions of random people on the internet when you made this post directed at sojourner "and people like him" which was not only in your usual weirdly out of place hostile style but factually incorrect.

That passage wasn't directed at the showrunners, that was a criticism of people in the thread. And that's the misconception you were making that I was correcting with quotes right from when the show started.

:lol: No, clearly you're not angry or anything. Try harder to be convincing. I love how you turn the thing around that you just claimed we weren't saying and make it into an insult when we point out that we had been saying it all along. Well done.

The only reason I even responded was because you started getting self-righteous again and misrepresenting what people had said. Otherwise I wouldn't even have cared.

Relax, you'll live longer.

4. Mister Fandango

I wasn't the one waving my dick around, telling other people to basically shut up because I, and I alone, predicted the reality of the show and in my delusional mind decreed that it held more weight than what the showrunners have said. And by doing so, I have *negated* what the showrunners said, for I am Locutus of Borg, and I am the all-powerful random internet person who's voice is the only one that matters. <waves hands around>

I was bitching about the show and, more specifically, the lies the showrunners said about it. So no, I wasn't talking about myself. If anything, I was venting frustration at the show, not holding my personal opinion up high and decreeing that since I said something, nothing else anyone who matters said.

And as I said, I only stuck with the show up to this point simply to see if they would live up to those lies and somehow surprise me by having a plausible reason for the blackout. They didn't. So I vented. Deal with it.

5. Mister Fandango

Go fuck yourself, troll. Just because your name is green doesn't mean you're not an asshole.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

:lol: You're precious.

I never told anyone to shut up, "basically" or otherwise.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Soo.... back to the thread.

And one of the differences between this show and a show like "The Walking Dead" is that by placing emphasis on a background story involving a Revolution, you essentially give the show an endgame. This show inevitably must build towards that Revolution and the conclusion of that Revolution. Walking Dead could go on forever, and there are infinite stories that could be told.

To compare it to Star Trek, that's one of the differences between TNG and Voyager... Voyager was trying to get home, and that had a finite (though nebulous) point at which the show would end. TNG could have conceivably gone on for eternity, had there been stories to support the episodes and cast members who wouldn't age (and you could always swap out cast members like on ER, or like any of the long running daytime soap operas). Even DS9 qualifies, because the Dominion War was merely a story arc in the overall story of a space station called "DS9". We could have had a season 8 after the war ended. But once Voyager gets home, the story of "Voyager getting home" is over. Any Season 8 would have had to have a new plot.

8. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well maybe its a good thing we don't know how the nanites actually work, otherwise we would have to worry about some idiots in our world making and using them. LOL

i don't buy that they absorbs energy (where would it go from there otherwise?) but more than likely dissipates electric fields some how, almost like a constant EMP.

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Infraction for flaming. Comments to PM

That underlined portion really doesn't help matters, either.

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So.. after the fall of civilization, with no power... a woman rises to power to rule Georgia. Oh and she also banged General Matheson... Really guys?

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Every time I see this woman I still can't believe how bad her hair cut was on 24.

Why couldn't a woman come to power?

Georgia seems to be based on technology, finance and trade rather than military oppression.

She created an economy.

Matheson is still taking tribute/taxes in perishables from the farming communes.

13. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can a women even come to power in Georgia as it is now? Without the worldwide apocalypse...? Have they had a female governor? Senator? Christ... I'm looking at the current list of congressmen... thought maybe I had a winner... a "Lynn". But nope, just a dude named "Lynn". It looks like they had a couple in the past in Dem districts, but c'mon.

Throw in the total collapse of the society that is still very much working towards equality and...? Woman President and people leisurely shopping for hats? I'm gonna have to disagree with their speculative fiction on this one, sorry.

14. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

Perhaps they knew eachother pre-blackout? There is really no way of two leaders in a blacked out world to get to know each other to the point where they can let one another down on a personal level. That they'd ever meet in person seems like a stretch.

15. tighr

Yes, because having a female President in a post-apocalyptic future is more unbelievable than quadrillions of nanites that stop electricity, we breathe them, and they cure cancer. Got it. :rolleyes:

Glad everyone pointed that out, otherwise my disbelief would have stayed suspended.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"How do we disarm the bomb?"

<me yelling at screen> "REMOVE THE PENDANT YOU MORONS!"

17. tighr

They spent 10 episodes (over what I assume was several months) going from Chicago to Philadelphia, which is about 800 miles. They spent 10 minutes going from Philadelphia to Atlanta, which is also about 800 miles.

The nuclear bomb subplot should have lasted until the rest of the season. Terrible writing on their part that it's over in a single week. Not to mention the Georgia Federation is a heck of a lot more interesting to me than the Monroe Republic. It's obvious that conditions are so shitty in Monrovia because Monroe is a dick and keeps the peasants down.

18. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, this has nothing to do with the plot of the last episode, just an observation. The Georgia Federation's border with Texas is the Mississippi River. If you look at the map it goes straight south instead of taking a hard right towards New Orleans. This is completely correct, the river wants to naturally flow the shortest distance possible to the gulf, we are currently artificially keeping it on it's current course. Without the Corps of Engineers, it would eventually reroute to the Atchafalaya River.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really liked this episode. I thought we got some really good character moments, and some more interesting background on Miles. I thought the Georgia Republic was cool, and I liked Pres. Foster. I really don't see what's so bad about her? I liked getting a chance to see what things are like outside of the MR. It was interesting seeing what a richer more prosperous part of the world is like. I wonder if we'll ever get to see Texas or California?
    The Rachel and Aaron story was pretty interesting too, although even I will admit that the whole thing with the nanites curing cancer was a bit of an eyebrow raiser. But I'm still willing to just accept it and move on. Although all they said was that she was going to die without them, so maybe they just somehow are keeping the cancer cells under control without actually destroying them. At this point I'm kind of hoping they don't try to explain anything about how the nanites work, because if they just keep things vague like they are now they can have them do pretty much whatever they want without trying to squeeze them into a specific set of rules.

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

She'll die because without the nanites to kill the cancer cells and keep them in check, it will kill her.