Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree with that statement.... Of course, the anime fans want stuff that they think is good or I should say, stuff that has craziness in it. It reminds me of a conversation in another forum about a certain manga that everyone likes wondering if it was going to get an anime. We all agreed that it was slim to none. But the fans on this side of the pond from Japan were the ones wanting it to become one. I wonder what the TV reaction in Japan will be once Space Battleship Yamato 2199 finally airs. It should go thru the roof. Not just with older fans. But with younger viewers who liked Gundam and Macross series (in all their various incarnations). Oh yeah, there is some fanservice that everyone likes.

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they meant style wise. As it it was done to look like an anime from the 70s, and a lot of the bloggers and youtuber anime reviews are in their 20s or maybe early 30s. Thus, Space Battleship Yamato and Star Blazers is considered to be from, "the before times". And with some people, if it happened before they were born (especially in anime) they really don't care. Usually because it looks horrible to them (art and animation wise) or the plots are way too slow (which having watched the original in Japanese, I can say there are quite a few spots where the director spent way too much time on establishing shots and narration in 1974). However most of that was fixed for Yamato 2199. And it shows as the plot is farther along by episode 14 than it was in the original, and that is with at least two completely new episodes included into it.

A few older bloggers do remember Star Blazers and are either looking forward to this, or are already watching it. I myself am probably one of the youngest of the original fans of Star Blazers as I saw it as a two or three year old on televison during its first run. I know a few fans of it that are younger than I am, but they generally saw it on video or much more recently (I've inflicted it on a few people).

As for the other angle. Well that's probably a reason there is fanservice in the show at all. Though the closest thing to a loli on the ship is a 17 year old Yuria, which doesn't count. There is of course Hilde who is 13, but she's had few scenes and no fanservice, though she is getting a figurine after Yuki and Yamamoto. A few of the older female fans are a little upset by the new style fanservice (more so at the promotional material fanservice) and the lack of counter fanservice of the guys. Also the lack of older women. The oldest female we know of on the ship is Niimi, who is I think 27 years old. Though it can be said that there seems to only be maybe a half dozen to a dozen men on the ship that are over 30. And most of them are in engineering.

3. RangerH

I agree on all points.

I was 7 or 8 when I first saw Starblazers back in the late 70's. Of course fans will be fickle about a lot of things like the plot to fanservice.

I like how the story has been expanded to explain a lot things that were missed, and how they removed the things that made no sense at all (Case in point the Pluto lifeforms). Addition of more female characters was a big plus. I think the reason why we do not see that many older crew members, except for the engineering section personnel that are experienced, is because of the aforementioned Izumo plan which was to escape Earth. Let the young live to colonize a new world.

4. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

That and the fact that the war has been going badly for Earth and likely meaning that most of the older experienced officers have likely been killed.

5. RangerH

No debate there. That was also mentioned by Tokugawa and Capt Okita when they were talking about living while younger officers and crew were dieing in ep 7.

6. Ithekro

7. RangerH

Just saw the newest trailer for chapter 5 of SBY 2199. Man it creates a lot of questions and gives us a few clues.

Niimi is shown to be holding a picture of herself with both Sanada and Mamoru Kodai. We see a flashback as well. I wonder what will be said and what will be seen. I also liker Niimi's look just before and after Yuki looks at her. She looks shocked and confused it seems as to what is going on with the mutiney. I am not sure. Melda makes a reappearance along with Domels wife. It seems Melda is on a fact finding mission. Now what is one of the Yamato pilots flying a Garmilan plane for? Also, it seems that there is something more to it but unsure until we see that ep. What we see of the battle sequences is going to make this awesome. More behind the scenes look at the Garmilas empire Imperial guard headed by Gimleh since it seems he and the witch (do not remember her name), are in cahoots it seems. The other General with the beard seems to be plotting something too.

I can not wait to see these next eps.

8. Ithekro

Things are going beyond hairy for the crew of the Yamato. Massive enemy fleets, mutiny, weird giant insects, alien space goddesses.

And not all is rosy for the Gamilas either. Assassinations, political agendas, secret police potentally running amuck, and one little Earth ship blasting though ships like that are made of cardboard.

9. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Man, just two more weeks!

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's for the japanese theatre showings - the Blu-Ray doesn't release until May 28.2013 -- so make that two months. :scream:;)

[Yep - looks like a real interesting batch of 4 episodes there based on that preview]:drool:

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Is that the Blu-Ray for the entire series?

12. RangerH

Its being released on both DVD and Blue-ray. The only difference between the two is Blue-ray has sub-titles and more information. The DVD does not have sub-titles. Also, its just for the 4 eps that are coming out in April.

13. Ithekro

14. RangerH

Oh yeah.... Also, it seems that the women on board the Yamato are getting a little bit hot... And I do not mean in the looks way.... Other than that it is going to be a roller coaster ride with ep 15 to 18, in this chapter of the series.

Oh... Take a look at this... The numbers under the ep is the number of views it has at the site I CP'd it from.

Episode # Views
    Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 20Not Yet Aired 289

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 19Not Yet Aired

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 18Not Yet Aired

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 17Not Yet Aired

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 16Not Yet Aired

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 15Not Yet Aired

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 14English Subbed 1,554

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 13English Subbed 1,135

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 12English Subbed 2,134

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 11English Subbed 9,129

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 10English Subbed 2,477

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 9English Subbed

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 8English Subbed

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 7English Subbed

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 6English Subbed

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 5English Subbed

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 4English Subbed

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 3English Subbed

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 2English Subbed

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 OVA Episode 1English Subbed

If you take at look at ep 15 how the hell did it garnish that many views when it hasn't been shown yet!!?? What was this site thinking putting up the unaired eps. Well, the actual view count is skewed now when it is finally put up.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  15. Ithekro

Best guess?

People who watched up to 14 elsewhere and did a search for 15, finding that one and watching it.

Same is probably true for episode 11, (over 9000 views), though it is also possible some people were just rewatching the Gamilas battle with the Comet Empire as that was rather cool and unexpected. There are also a lot of fans that liked the second series more and enjoyed that battle.

16. RangerH

Before ep 11 was up it was already skewed with over (if I remember), with over 3,000 views. I do not doubt that individuals re-watched that particular ep for the battles but also for Melda too, since she was scantily clad and the bath scene to with Yuki and Yammamoto.

No doubt that a lot of fans liked the Comet Empire arc a lot more with all the battles where the Iscandar arc had few battles.

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

You know most bad guys kick the dog to show their villainness, but the Gamilas seem to carpet bomb the dog from orbit and then use a colony drop to make sure it stays down.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  18. Ithekro

I wonder if that is standard Imperial policy, or if that is just an Imperial Guard thing. Since this is conquored planet rather than something like Earth which is actively at war with Gamilas. This planet was probably either rebelling or protesting the Gamilas rule, but instead of subjegation, they just went straight to kill the lacky leader and genocide. I wonder if they could Gamilform it afterwards for the blue skinned citizens, rather than leave a dead husk of a world.

One wonders if Dessler even approves of this sort of thing. Or if he even is informed about it. He seems fairly aloof. Like he has larger things on his mind than the day in day out Empire building. (or he's fantasying about Starsha).

19. RangerH

When you think about historically, the SS did the same thing. Of course the only difference was that Hitler approved it. Where as Deslar is like you say.

Of course the only major difference from other series that use mass planet destruction is the fact that they are using not that many ships and a few planet bombs. In Star Wars, the whole planet was destroyed in one shot, while in Macross they came close to wiping out humanity with over 4 million ships. So it begs the question, Who has killed more people now? And Hitler does not count nor any real despots past or present.

20. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like they're finally playing up the love triangle. :lol: