Captain Kirk At The Oscars!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Kamdan, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Actually, Pine and Saldana did present some technical awards later in the broadcast, but they didn't interact with Shatner.

2. Kamdan

Kamdan Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, that was another missed opprotunity. It was also weird for the orchestra to play the Goldsmith theme when Pine and Saldana came out.

3. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Personally, I loved the bit with WS. Bravo, Seth McFarland! Kirk may have caused yet another temporal anomaly, but it was totally worth it. :)

If McFarland does the Oscars again next year, he should do the same bit, but with Patrick Stewart.

4. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

He may not have had much time to prepare... but I too thought he looked a bit off (and not due to age, but his delivery).

It's well known that Seth McFarlane is a Star Trek fan, having incorporated quite a few Star Trek references into his work. So, it was pretty understandable (and hilarious) for Shatner to show up on screen in uniform. It had a lot of potential, but to me it fell kind of flat.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not a huge Shatner fan. Not a fan of Seth MacFarlane, buttttt...this skit was hilarious!!!! I kept yelling to my wife that this skit was really long! I can't believe how much screen time they gave them. Particularly funny was Shatner's concerned yet dismissive tone. Anyway, "Ted" was one of the worst movies I'd seen in years. The Oscars are a relatively tedious self-congratulatory affair but Seth actually kept it moving along quite well. Thank goodness for the fast forward button.

RAMA

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well that should end the debate which music is more associated with Trek to the "general audience". ;)

7. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pfft, I'll take any excuse to hear the Goldsmith theme played in real time in front of a global audience.

8. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first thing Seth should have said to Captain Kirk was: "Aren't you dead?"

9. hadd001

hadd001 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I loved seeing Shatner again as Kirk!

10. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Hmm...considering that there soon will be a sequel to "Star Trek Academy" (or was it "Star Trek Troopers"?) I can't shake the feeling that Bill Shatner's participation at the Academy Awards wasn't entirely coincidental or maybe even some kind of "statement" which Captain Kirk the Academy members do prefer. ;)

Bob

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think that's a stretch. It was a funny comedy bit, not a "statement" about anything.

(I'm sure the Academy stays up nights fretting about this vital issue!)

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think calling it "funny" is a stretch. :lol:

Seriously, it was way too long and could have been written much better. 20/20 hindsight, I guess ...

I was surprised that McFarlane could actually sing.

14. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

That's pretty much how the musical numbers on Family Guy go, too.

16. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that long bit would have worked better if we had live "real" reactions from each of the most/all of the actresses mentioned, although I know that would have been challenging to pull off live given the pace of the song. They did show a couple of actresses pretending to be shocked or appalled by the song (presumably pre-taped or rehearsed), but that wasn't funny. Seeing their REAL reaction -- and of more of the actresses -- would have been interesting if not funny.

On a side note...I can't believe I'm analyzing a skit about "boobies." :wtf:

17. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

ShatnerKirk would so kick PineKirk's ass.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hasn't it been already pointed out that PineKirk is the one that actually looks like he knows how to fight :)

19. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I too thought his delivery was off, but I think that's a pretty inevitable consequence of doing a live video chat. Younguns on CNN are really no better, and what's more, Shatner had to try to guage when to start lines vis-a-vis audience laughter, which is tricky enough in person. It would have been much better to have "beamed" him down live and in person, where he could still have called up the video clips on-screen.

Heck, it would have been best for Shatner to have hosted the whole deal himself! :techman:

20. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Commander Red Shirt

I enjoyed that segment I thought it was funny