Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Spaceman Spiff, Oct 10, 2007.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction

Tell us about this "Repairman Jack" series, please. :)

Speaking of which, is anybody familiar with Manly Wade Wellman's "John the Balladeer" stories? Wonderful stuff. :cool:

2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Amazon says that Bride of Frankenstein: Pandora's Bride is shipping, but the availability is "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months."

I don't what's up with these things and their delays. But it's available from some sellers now, so it seems more likely that it's shipped.

Right now, I'm reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons, and it's excellent, so far. I bought it because I had picked up A Winter Haunting, only to find out that it's kind of a sequel to Summer of Night.

I'm glad I did. There are some strong horror elements here and there, but Simmons is very successful at capturing some essence of boyhood in 11-year-old protagonists.

From what I've read, A Winter Haunting picks up 30-40 years later with at least some of the same characters.

3. RJDiogenes

Thanks. I'll order Bride of Frankenstein with my next batch of stuff. DH's Universal books really do seem to be in some kind of behind-the-scenes mess, don't they? :(

On another note, I don't know if this is horror or sci-fi or both, but I finally read I Am Legend. It was quite good and very different from both previous movie versions. :)

4. Spaceman Spiff

Summer of Night was excellent. It may be the best modern horror novel I read in 2007. Not only does Simmons accurately capture the feel of boyhood, but there's some great, spooky atmosphere in this novel, as well as some really disturbing parts. I'm looking forward to A Winter Haunting, and I've also picked up Children of the Night, which is his take on Dracula and vampires.

My wife and In-Laws spoiled me with horror books and DVDs for Christmas. Check out this haul:

The Terror, also by Dan Simmons.
    Universal Horrors: The Studio's Classic Films, 1931-1946. This large book has great write-ups, trivia, etc. about the films.
    World War Z by Max Brooks.
    Frankenstein's Bride by Hilary Bailey.

For DVDs:
    American Silent Horror Collection--Great set.
    The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (Ultimate Edition) Enough said, really.
    Nosferatu (The Ultimate Two-Disc Edition)--This is a brand new restoration, and it's a stunner. In my opinion, this is now the version of the film to own. The F.W. Murnau Foundation really did some good work cleaning it up.

It's funny that I got so many silent films at Christmas. (These are just the horror ones. I also got Metropolis. And in the non-silent, non-horror vein, I got The Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen - Legendary Science Fiction Series and Planet of the Apes - The Legacy Collection. Between all of these, I may have to start up Caption This! again.)

I'm a really, really happy husband and son-in-law. :D

5. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stop making me jealous. Murnau fan that I am, I didn't have the money to triple dip on this movie (owning as I do the Image release, and then getting the Kino release in their Murnau boxset). :mad:

Ah well... I've got Battleship Potemkin. :)

Ah yes, the Kino release. Seen it yet? It's the movie like it's never been before; one of my all time favourite DVDs. :vulcan:

6. Spaceman Spiff

Why the Vulcan smiley? :lol:

I peeked at it, just to admire the work they did. I'll probably watch it soon.

I've got the Image release of Nosferatu, too. When I get a chance, I'll compare them. But the Image one is worth having for some of the features. I like the featurette where they revisit some of the locales.

When I compare them, I'll mention it in here. Maybe I'll do some screencaps and show them. But right off the bat, I was surprised by how clean it looked.

7. Kegek

The Vulcan smiley is just the one I chose to overuse. I look serious and arch my eyebrows a lot in the real world. I think I've seen too much Star Trek. :vulcan:

The old Kino release is better than the Image release and has a considerably more atmospheric score. But, according to what I've just read, this newest version... has a restoration of the original score.

You lucky dastard. I've got to get that now. :mad:

8. Spaceman Spiff

I forgot to mention that my wife got me The Fly Collection.

I feel like such an ingrate. :o

9. RJDiogenes

Whew! Nice haul! :D

I think I've got that one.

That sounds beautiful. I'll add it to my shopping cart.

Is the picture quality really good? The version I have is the next best thing to useless. :(

That's already in my shopping cart, waiting for the right moment. :cool:

I've been in more of a science fiction mood lately, but either The Mummy or The Bride Of Frankenstein (Dark Horse) are probably in my near future.

Actually, the book I'm reading now-- A Voyage To Arcturus by David Lindsay, originally published in 1920-- might be considered horror. It's certainly in no way science fiction. It's a surrealistic nightmare. :rommie:

I also got this. Some may call it "horror." I call it "my childhood." :D

10. Kegek

RJDiogenes, not only is the picture quality excellent, but the plot has been reconstructed, additional film has been found (not complete, but as close as we're going to get) and the entire original score by Gottfried Huppertz has been performed and recorded. This is the definitive version of Metropolis, I cannot commend it more highly.

Remaining unconvinced? See the trailer, and hear the glory of the score for yourself! :)

This is one of my favourite DVD releases of all time. :vulcan:

11. RJDiogenes

Oh, yeah, that looks fantastic! Right into the shopping cart with that. :D Thanks. :)

12. Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, the clarity is pretty startling on that one. There are parts that look as clear as Call of Cthulhu.

Jeez, after gloating about my Christmas haul, I just got spoiled for my birthday, too. Here are the latest additions:

TCM Archives - The Lon Chaney Collection

The Ghoul, with Mister Boris Karloff (to you).

From the Dust Returned, by Mister Bradbury.

And, funnily enough, The Bride of Frankenstein: Pandora's Bride, right after we were talking about it.

(I also got one of the new Blade Runner sets, but it ain't horror.)

My weeknights are set for a couple of months. :eek:

13. Robotpo

Robotpo Commander Red Shirt

I know I'm late to this thread, but I just want to say if you're into horror fiction, there are two manor names which can not be missed:

Richard Matheson
    H.P. Lovecraft

That is all. :p

14. RJDiogenes

Oh, yeah, I read everything (and I mean everything :p) by Lovecraft years ago. As for Matheson, I've been delving into this volume periodically for the past couple of months. :)

And while looking for that on Amazon, I discovered that there's a series of Hell House novels, not by Matheson. :eek:

15. Spaceman Spiff

I had to look it up after reading this. Interesting. Each is listed as having 48 pages, and they're published by IDW Publishing, which is an independent comic book publisher. (They've recently acquired the Star Trek license, incidentally, and have started putting out new Trek comics.)

I like Matheson a lot. As part of the "required reading" in On Writing Horror, I ordered Richard Matheson: Collected Stories, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2. I haven't read them yet; they're in my enormous "must read" pile.

I've read Hell House and I Am Legend, and I've enjoyed the films he's written, too. Most recently, I enjoyed The Comedy of Terrors and The Raven together on this set (which has apparently gone out of print :().

16. Robotpo

That actually looks pretty intriguing. "Hell House" has never had a really good visual adaptation, so these might the closest things we ever get. Thanks for the link. :p

Also, I'm not sure if anyone's heard of this guy:
    http://www.briankeene.com/

I've only read one of his books, "Ghoul," but it was decent. It basically came off as "Stephen King-lite," but he has two new books coming out which will probably feature more of his original voice, and still be as readable as "Ghoul" was...
    http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Hollow-Brian-...2047&sr=8-2
    http://www.graemesfantasybookreview.com/2007/12/author-interview-brian-keene.html

I'd also have to recommend Robert McCammon, especially his "Usher's Passing," based on Edgar Allen Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher." More creepy creepyness...
    http://www.amazon.com/Ushers-Passing-Robert-McCammon/dp/0671769928

17. Spaceman Spiff

I've read The Rising by Keene, which was a decent zombie book, and got Keene a Stoker Award. But the best thing about it was that it introduced me to Leisure Books' horror book club, which I'm enjoying.

It's funny that you mention Robert McCammon. This October I re-read Halloween Horrors, which is probably one of my favorite anthologies for that time of year, and McCammon's got my favorite story in it.

I decided to look up more of his stuff, and after many rave reviews, I picked up Boy's Life (I can't get over that average on Amazon), Swan Song and Speaks the Nightbird.

I haven't read any of them yet (the list is getting ridiculous at this point), but I'm looking forward to it.

18. Hobs202

Hobs202 Commodore Commodore

^ I've heard about "The Rising" and based on what little I've read, I thought it was pretty interesting. However, its sequel "City of the Dead" had a really anti-climatic, sort-of-lame ending. Of course that all might change depending on what happens in the upcoming "Labyrinth" series (which is supposed to be a sort of mass sequel to a lot of Keene's novels including "The Rising" series).

19. RJDiogenes

Oops. Didn't look that closely.

Speaking of Matheson, a couple of years ago I got a nice hardcover edition of his three Kolchak scripts. Yes, three, because he wrote a third story called The Night Killers which was never produced because they went to series instead (it probably would have been used as the second season premiere). I had been dying to read this since the early 80s when he mentioned it in an early issue of Twilight Zone magazine. It was expensive but worth it; and it turned out to be signed and numbered, which I didn't even know when I ordered it. :D

I've just started Bride of Frankenstein: Pandora's Bride; I'm rolling my eyes just a little, but we'll see. Also, I was amused that there are two Chapter Threes and no Chapter Four. :rommie:

20. Robotpo

^^ I actually just found out the Universal "Classic Monster" line today. I think I'm gonna try to get my hands on "Creature from the Black Lagoon: Time's Black Lagoon," and "Dracula: Asylum," as they sound like they could be worthwhile...