ELEMENTARY - News, Reviews, and Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Allyn Gibson, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Nope.

Doing it longer, or more repetitiously, doesn't equal doing it better.

Nope. Gender-switching characters doesn't earn automatic points.

In-jokes don't address the generic style, plotting and-by-the-numbers characters introduced to drive the stories, which is what matters. You could pitch this show with the same stories you'd take into any of the CSIs.

2. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

As do I. :)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It would be interesting to get to listen in on one of those conversations. Do they just chat about the show? Do they discuss and critique their respective approaches to playing Holmes? Or do they talk more about the experience of working with their co-stars and creative teams?

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Christopher

Ophelia Lovibond? Wow. Ian Fleming's ghost must be kicking himself for never thinking of that name.

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Kitty Winter's not half bad either.

7. Allyn Gibson

Elementary is adding another recurring cast member, Raza Jaffrey. He will "recur as Joan's new boyfriend. His character, Andrew, is described as the 'anti-Sherlock.'"

8. Christopher

I've often thought that if they gave Joan Watson a love interest, he should've been named something like Larry Morstan. Although presumably you'd want to save that name for whoever she ends up marrying.

Of course, in this day and age, there's no reason they couldn't just give her a love interest named Mary Morstan...

9. Allyn Gibson

Why not Marion? We think of it as a female name, but it was originally, and is still used as, a male name.

10. Christopher

11. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Man name or not, I wouldn't name anyone after Muldur, he was such a party pooper. Sisko should be given a medal for keeping his cool after standing in the same room with that guy for an entire episode. Besides, given the obvious time travel plot you're suggesting here – without a doubt a man named Shirley implies time travel, and so does Marion – we want to keep the department of temporal investerogations out of it. It's enough that Holmes has MI6 breathing down his neck, Watson is leaving him to join the deadly viper assassination squad, and Mycroft is now cooking for him at Diogenes. DTI will be the straw that broke the camel's back. Unless you do want him to relapse – that would be really mean.

Speaking of time travel, screw all Sherlock/Doctor Who crossover ideas. I do hope the Doctor picks the right Holmes. The Cumberbatch one is way too arrogant to ever deserve a trip on the TARDIS, even if we never get to see the lonely mountain as a result. Jonny Lee Miller's Sherlock is humble, sweet and likeable (something Cumberbatch's can envy) so he more than deserves a real trip if drug-induced ones are not recommended for him. Besides, I am still looking for a good explanation of how exactly he appeared in Emma.

Anyway, I got carried away, I was posting to say that my theory is that Kitty Winter's real name is Jamie Bond.

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Marion Morrison approves. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne

13. Allyn Gibson

14. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Looking forward to it--hope it can keep some kind of fresh edge to it...

15. Christopher

We have to wait until October 30? Waaaaah!

16. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Interesting that it's staying on Thursday nights. How will that work with CBS carrying Football games?

17. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It doesn't premiere until October 30, after Thursday Night Football has ended.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

My bad, I didn't realize Thursday Night Football was ending. I figured they were doing it for the whole season.

19. Allyn Gibson

I think -- but don't quote me on this -- that Thursday night football moves to the NFL Network for the last half of the season.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The games are being simulcast on both channels now so CBS will just stop airing Thursday Night Football after week 9.