JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Started reading Saga Vol. 1 just a few minutes ago. I'll post my thoughts as I go along.
    I'm only a couple pages into it, but it the relationship between Alana and Marko already seems like it should be fun.

EDIT:

I finished the rest of it last night and posted my thoughts on Shelfari:
    My rating: 5/5

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Couple more reading questions.
    Would Annihilation be good place to jump into the '00s Marvel Cosmic? I want to read some of that stuff before Gaurdians of the Galaxy comes out.
    Is The Winter Soldier a good place to jump into Captain America?

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes Annihilation-Annihilation War-GotG/Nova/War of the Kings-Thanos Imperative. That is pretty much a rough timeline of events.

Captain America v5 is the start of the Winter Soldier story. The run by Brubaker only recently ended and the guy who replaced him isn't nearly as good.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

<<Yes Annihilation-Annihilation War-GotG/Nova/War of the Kings-Thanos Imperative. That is pretty much a rough timeline of events.>>

You mean: Annihilation-Annihilation Conquest-GotG/Nova/War of the Kings-Thanos Imperative. :)

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it? Really it's been a long time.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

And to be even more nitpicky, the Nova ongoing started after Annihilation, so issues of it would tie into Conquest then War of Kings then Thanos Imperative. GOTG didn't start until after Conquest I believe.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Sam Alexander Black Nova, in Ultimate Spider-Man the Saturday morning cartoon seriously predates his first sighting in the comics... At least I thought it did, the comic origin was January 2012 and the morning cartoon was April 2012. My bad. Close though.

Haw hwahahahw! HA!

http://marvel.wikia.com/Samuel_Alexander_(Earth-616)

Under the Aliases they list for Sam, is "Darth Nova".

:)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The description of the first GotG collection refers to "back-to-back Annihilation wave", so I had been assuming that was a reference to the two Anihilation miniseries.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well I haven't looked at this thread yet but I just thought I'd pop in to say I picked up Starlight on a whim today and really enjoyed it. I caught myself thinking it would make a great movie and upon doing a little Googling it turns out Fox is already developing it. Has anyone else read it yet?

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I just read it. I love anything by Mark Millar. His ideas are never original, but I love his twists on them.

11. Savage Dragon

I think this is the first time I've ever read something by him!

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

He wrote Wanted, Kick Ass, Secret Service, Nemesis, Superior, famous runs on Wolverine and Fantastic Four... he tends to take old used ideas and give them a post-modern satiric violent real-world take on them.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else trying out Dynamite's version of the Gold Key character relaunch dubbed: DynaKey by most?
    Turok launched in Feb
    Magnus this month
    Solar in April
    Dr.Spektor in May

Turok Dinosaur Hunter #2 hit yesterday and I'm indifferent thus far.
    Native American Indians=check
    Turok as lead and badass=check
    Andar as sidekick & "blood brother"=check
    Dinos=check

I'm conditioned to expect that and two issues in we've gotten just that. However, what I need some narrative on is the idea that European Crusaders have made it to America in the 13th century with captive Dinos. That they essentially use as shock troops? I need answers on this twist. Forget the being in America a century before Columbus and I don't feel like debating Vikings & Chinese claims, how do Crusaders even have Dinos and the means to "domesticate" them or at least control them?

14. Savage Dragon

Yup, missed all those. I took a long break from comics from about 1997 to 2011. The only Marvel titles I'm picking up right now are Superior Spider-Man and Superior Spider-Man Team-Up. Although I did pick up Moon Knight yesterday. I haven't read it yet though.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Millar also wrote the excellent Marvel "Civil War" that kind of kickstarted the current tone of the Marvel Universe. I'd also recommend "American Jesus" as well by him (it was actually supposed to be his first team up with Matthew Vaughn but then that turned into the film adaption of "Kick-Ass" when they met each other at the "Stardust" premire).

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Gah! How could I forget Civil War! The most famous thing he's ever done! I loved Civil War. Actually everything he does it great. Though I found "Old Man Logan" and the ending of his FF run to be a let down.

17. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

* sighs *

I've been trying to get Transformers Classics UK Vol 5, but it keeps getting delayed.

18. Savage Dragon

So, just curious. Are there any Savage Dragon readers here? I just signed up at the Image forums so I could participate in the Erik Larsen part of the board and got a chuckle out of his forum rules.

[​IMG]

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I read the first 50 issues and loved them, and I've been collecting it since then but I haven't actually read of it yet :eek: There's just too many comics and not enough time!

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I read the first 30+ issues of Savage Dragon and the first 50 of Spawn.
    My flirtation with Image essentially ended there with nary a glance since.
    No, I don't read Walking Dead. Like the show though.
    That is funny, don't be a dick.