Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping this episode is good. I'm starting to lose faith in SHIELD. I would never guess that Joss Whedon had anything to do with it if he wasn't in the credits. I'm a huge Whedon fan, and I love all of the shows he did before. Not every episode of his old shows were always great obviously, no show has only good episodes, but I'd be hard pressed to find a Buffy/Angel/Firefly/Dollhouse episode that has outright bored me as much as, say, The Asset (ep 3, with the gravity stuff) did, or characters as boring as Skye and Ward. SHIELD seems to work best when Skye and Ward are background characters, like in Eye Spy where they only had a few scenes and they were actually interesting in small doses. When it starts spending a huge amount of time talking about Skye/Ward, or hinting at a relationship between them, the show just falls apart and becomes almost unbearable. I just wish this show was a bit less generic crime/spy show and was allowed to have a bit more personality. I'm still going to keep watching the show, but I hope we get more episodes like Eye Spy and less episodes like The Asset.

Also, I just looked it up, and Scorcher is the name of a fire based Marvel villain, so I am glad to see they at least used a bit of the Marvel universe in the last episode outside of extremis stuff.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Joss does almost have nothing to do with it.

He's teaching his brother how to ride a bike.

Training wheels my ass.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I have to wonder how much influence Jeph Loeb has on the day-to-day. At least as far as animation goes, he has yet to produce much of anything that I care about for Marvel.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think you're forgetting that Jed Whedon already has a fair amount of television experience, including stints as a staff writer on Dollhouse and a co-producer on Spartacus. So, in fact, he has more TV-production experience now than Joss Whedon had when he started Buffy.

And of course Maurissa Tancharoen has done it all alongside him, something you neglected to mention. And let's not forget that Jeffrey Bell is also a showrunner here. He has extensive prior experience.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aristotle was no Plato, and Plato was no Socrates.

I've seen Jed's credits, and he doesn't have his own voice.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Considering we don't really know what Socrates said compared to Plato, it's hard to say whether or not they were comparable (or that Socrates was better as your post seems to imply).

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I came in 13 minutes late...did I miss anything?

8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Cue flying car.

9. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Parachute? Did we all not see the flying car sitting on the ramp! Lame.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

You missed the basic premise with the electric floating death, but hopefully you got the gist of it.

I liked this one a lot and I think it reinforces that things are getting better with each episode. This one was a character episode with two characters who I didn't expect to get much character development and it worked quite well. Also, plenty of good tension in the plot (even if the plot wasn't perfect).

11. The Old Mixer

Yeah, Ward and Skye were finally taking a backseat in the 47 minutes that I saw.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Eh, maybe it doesn't work at great altitude? Anyway, very good episode. Liked it a lot.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A pretty good outing. The show actually is getting better.

- Love the episode title... FZZT! The sound of an electric shock.

- Lots of sudden camaraderie that we've never seen before. I liked it. You could see Whedon's fingerprints all over it.

- Typhoid Mary was mentioned.

- Fitzsimmons is an odd little entity. You'd think that they're an item but the male half is interested in Skye who knows this but deflects his advances. So what are they? Psychically linked after all? Just really good friends?

- I thought that Fitz was going to take Lola to go after Simmons.

- Ward came off as more comical that heroic. Maybe I feel that way because they were making fun of him.

- Maybe the Thor 2 tie-in will deal with How Coulson came back.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I actually thought they were going to kill the girl. Joss tends to off a major character in the first few episodes of a new show. I would have been sad to have seen her go, though! But it would have given the surviving character a personal tragedy to deal with, and bonded the team together, and then you could have introduced a new character as an outsider.

15. Trekker4747

I think Fitzsimmons are just close co-workers. Maybe "at most" step-siblings. I don't think Fitz is as interested in Skye so much as he's just attracted to her and feels the need to impress.

I'm beginning to think more and more there's no mystery or anything great that happened to Coulson. I think it really is as simple as that he died and was [somehow] revived. Whether that revival was Earth technology, Asgardian or otherwise remains to be seen. But I'm no longer thinking LMD, clone or anything along those lines. His death was just, well, simply retconed.

Again, a good episode. Really enjoyed and think the series is really growing and getting better.

Like in Firefly when in the first few episodes he killed off.... Well, he killed...

Darn.

Anyway, Joss's involvement in the series seems to be pretty limited so I doubt he's got much influence in the regard to the longevity of characters. For a moment I expected Simmons to die as well but when I realized there was enough time in the episode left for the solution to come about. ;)

16. Agent Richard07

They'd never do that. Then we'd have to start calling Fitzsimmons "Fitz".

Actually, the thought crossed my mind too but this doesn't strike me as the kind of show to make dramatic changes like that. At least not in episode 6.

17. The Old Mixer

"He can never know." There's something bigger than a garden variety resuscitation going on.

18. Agent Richard07

Yeah, sounded like they were describing a near-death experience. Coming back cooler is even a side effect. Now how he came back remains to be seen.

19. Trekker4747

Well then there's the method of *how* he was resurrected. Which may be Asgardian resurrection chamber or some other Marvel entity or system. But I think at the base of it all, we're talking simple "brought back to life" rather than anything more sinister.

20. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or maybe Ward does not know how to fly it.