I'm watching Buffy for the first time right now,

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roger Wilco, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

never saw it on tv and didn't have the time to watch it on dvd or so since, and I'd just like to say that I think it's every bit as good as everybody here said. I absolutely love it. I'm in the middle of season 2 at the moment and I think it aged very well, the characters talk mostly like real people, their motivations are believable, and people actually die, the monsters are original, and it's fun. Also, it's impressive how many actors on the show I've seen on other shows/movies since their time on Buffy, the casting must have been extremely good.

My favourite scene so far (and one of my favourite of all time): Spike unceremoniously killing off the "annoying one" as he called him. :lol:

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yay! Buffy is great! I watched it for the first time about 2 years ago, and I have since rewatched it about 6 times. Enjoy the ride!

3. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

One of my favourite shows ever, and deserving of every bit of the hype. I just wish I hadn't watched it back at the time it aired, so I could enjoy it for the first time again! Enjoy! I won't spoil anything, but you ain't seen nuttin' yet. It gets really good later on.

4. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Roger Wilco, you ain't seen nothin' yet! ;)

5. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Glad to hear it's getting even better; I'm finally beginning to understand where all this Whedon worship is coming from. ;)

6. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You LUCKY, LUCKY thing! I so wish I could watch Buffy and Angel again virgin fresh. It only gets better and better from now on. Got yourself to Buffyboards.com and be able to discuss each ep as you watch it

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

If you enjoy Buffy definitely check out Angel. I actually like that show more (had a bad first season though). Buffy is great.... but the last two years are generally reviled.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

To expand on this recommendation, Roger Wilco, Angel spins off from Buffy at the beginning of Buffy's fourth season. There are great reasons to watch both concurrently if at all possible (i.e., great crossover episodes become epic when watched back-to-back).

9. McCoy

McCoy Commodore Commodore

When Buffy was first on, I avoided it like the plague because, although I love the vampire genre, it was based on that valley girl vampire movie, so I dismissed it as teen dreck without giving it a chance. Years later my boss is raving about it, so I gave it a chance. Now I own the Chosen box set.

10. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been watching Buffy and Angel for the first time myself this year on my Xbox via Netflix. I just finished Buffy a few weeks ago. I very much enjoyed the whole series. Excellent show.

Angel is pretty good too (about to start the 5th and last season soon), though it has a different feel to it.

I suggest using this page as a guide for watching the two shows concurrently. :techman:

11. saturn5

Don't listen to that, the Faith/Angelus arc is my favourite in the entire show!

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I meant the last two years of Buffy. I loved every second of Angel S2 through S5! :)

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I agree. I watched them back-to-back, alternating between the two with every episode, and it was pretty amazing some of the parallel stories that they came up with. Once you get through Angel Season 2, you can stop doing that because the crossovers get toned down quite a bit, but for the first couple seasons it's really awesome watching them together.

14. saturn5

Season 6 maybe dips a little but still the best thing on TV

15. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not as "generally" as you think, as I am one of those who love the last two seasons. Season 6 is actually my favorite season of Buffy. And I'm not the only one.

It is more accurate to say that late seasons are very controversial. The show got a lot darker, edgier and took some real risks with the characters. Buffy is a show where characters aren't static, they all change and develop. Some people think that the show 'jumped the shark', others (like me) think it got better. :bolian:

But overall, Buffy was great throughout, with only season 1 being weaker than the rest, but still quite good.

16. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

My feelings too.. i like all seasons (maybe the 1st not so much because it was still trying to find its style and flow) and have absolutely no problem with them

Roger.. you're in for a ride. Enjoy and when you're done hop over to Angel and see that. They are what made Whedon famous and he had me on an emotional roller coaster several times during their run (not an easy feat to do to a grown man).

17. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Then? Angel was better :)

That was my main problem with Buffy Season 6, as in the UK they still aired alongside each other, I was just waiting for Angel Season 3 episodes to come on afterwards!

18. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I loved every season of both shows. They took real dramatic risks, and the characters never stayed static. There was no reset button. One thing you have to say about season6, whether you love or hate it (I love season 6) is that it did take huge creative risks. This ain't no ST:Voyager.

19. saturn5

Absolutely, personally I thought season 6 of Buffy was excelled by Angel for the first time but season 7 came back with a cherry on top

20. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Season 6 pretty well personally - though it had some serious issues. Still, it gave us OMWF and some other very good episodes so overall I thought it was good. Season 7 just feel apart for me. I'd still rank it below all other Buffy Seasons except for season 1. Half the story lines didn't make sense and the finale really didn't. Frankly, the Season 5 Buffy finale should have been where it ended (provided I still get my OMWF episode from Season 6! :) )