E3 2013 Discussion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheGodBen, Jun 10, 2013.

1. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hah, I guess it's funny, because both companies didn't show a single exclusive that I need or want from them. If anything, the best exclusive games for the rest of this year are going to be on PS3. I'm basically choosing the more consumer friendly platform at this point.

2. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Destiny, Infamous and Killzone at the moment. The Last of Us will be out on Friday, so Team 2 at Naughty Dog has been working on a PS4 exclusive since 2011. Should be announced soon. Drive Club looks way better than Forza, IMHO. Sony Santa Monica is working on something new as well. All in all, Sony owns 12 unique studios and all of them are working in PS4 games.

3. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Every system has shitty launch titles, so you really can't judge the quality of each console's libraries by the games shown here. You can only judge by the approach that the companies have taken.

With Sony, I saw a huge push for Indie gaming, consumer rights, and variety (more than just brown shooters). Microsoft has a narrow focus towards their library and draconian DRM. That's why Sony won this.

4. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The 3DS has the most exclusives coming out this year that I'm interested in and it's E3/Nintendo direct hasn't happened yet.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I love Nintendo and I am extremely excited for the Nintendo Direct tomorrow, but they really aren't competing with Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo's off in their own little world playing by their own rules. I love them for that, but that approach isn't going to win any conferences.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If that's the way you feel, I doubt there's anything I can say to convince you otherwise. Personally, I considered MS's policies to be too anti-consumer and I refused to purchase an XBO once they were confirmed. I didn't care what sort of exclusives they showed, I wasn't going to budge until they did. Hopefully, the backlash combined with Sony not introducing similar DRM will force MS to back down as that would be the healthiest thing for the industry.

7. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably because of the $$$$z.
    And I'll have no part of it. I always knew the next Battlefront would be a online-only multiplayer, DRM quick-buck grab. I'm still fine with Battlefront II.
    In other words, Xbox, I'm dropping you like a hot rock and willingly go into the arms of the PS4.

"This is how you share your games on PS4."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. Scherazade

Scherazade Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Holy crap, I almost feel bad for Microsoft. I haven't looked up E3 news for a while, but then I saw all the Sony announcements and my jaw dropped. I've never bought a console at launch, but I'm tempted to with the PS4 just to support Sony.

There were only two negatives: 1. PS+ being required for online games (which I don't play, but the PS+ has been a good deal so far) and 2. not a whole lot on the game front.

I'm not really surprised by the PS+ requirement, and it looks like Sony might be using the revenue to subsidize the cost of the console. Just a little disappointed. The lack of games is annoying but I'm not worried about it in the long run. Remember, Sony announced some exclusives at their reveal event, so they might not have felt as much pressure as Microsoft. I'm a huge Infamous fan and I like Killzone, so if Second Son is released near launch I'll be happy. Plus, Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream, Sony Santa Monica and others have to be working on exclusives, not to mention the PS3 has some killer exclusives coming out later this year. The future is looking bright for Sony!

9. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Titanfall does look like a blast... but I'd much rather play that on PC so it doesn't really sway me towards Xbone.

10. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

Kingdom Hearts 3 for PS4, nice...

11. Rincewiend

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSb-0R5T1Ck&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv9XZDiV8aw[/yt]

12. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's great that PS4 will allow you to play borrowed and used games. :techman:

It's not so great that you have to be a member of Playstation's discount/rental service to play online multiplayer.:thumbdown:

13. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I'm with you here. Most games I'm interested in are multiplatform or Nintendo, so of the other 2 PS4 is the one I'm interested in. Of the Xbone exclusives Quantum Break looks interesting but nothing they showed made it interesting enough for me actually want to by either though.

14. Rincewiend

Funny how the tables have turned...
    7 years ago everybody said the XB360 was the better "package"/choice because the PS3 was too expensive with free, thus 'lousy' on-line services...
    In the end Microsoft got plenty of backlash due to the RROD and the fact that the machine was a modders paradise...

15. Bob The Skutter

Was thinking it was funny how 7 years ago I didn't even consider the possibility of getting a PS3 and thought the Xbox 360 was fantastic/all I needed. And it's almost completely reversed now.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I already own a 2 and 3, no question about picking up a 4 when the price comes down a bit. They just wiped the floor with MS, hopefully any newer build of the XBO later down the line will drop some of its less appealing properties...

17. Bob The Skutter

Just watching the Sony conference now and there are definitely more that interests me there than in the Xbox one.

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel kinda bad about it, but... you're probably right.

I'm making the same tradeoff that PC game players made years ago when they chose Steam: give up some rights you're used to (playing offline, reselling games) in exchange for gaining some benefits (play without the disc, redownload at any time). Personally, I think that Microsoft is being more consumer-friendly with these policies than Valve is.

The fact that PC games have been happily swallowing that DRM for the last decade makes me think this is unlikely, at best.

19. Bob The Skutter

You're forgetting a few things. 1. Steam allows you to play offline for months, just click "offline mode" so you're not limited to having to reconnect every day. Reselling isn't such a problem when Steam have massive sales so often.

The other thing is Console gaming and PC gaming are different beasts. The culture of both is different too. PC gamers generally know what they're getting in to. Console gamers are just consumers and won't want to be limited in such a way.

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you're lucky. Offline mode has never worked for me when I've tried it.

That's a relatively recent phenomenon, though.

For the population as a whole, perhaps. I used to be a PC gamer, and do know what I'm getting into. :)