What happened to Kira's Siblings

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Augustus, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rewatching "Wrongs Darker than Death or Night" and I noticed that Kira has siblings, at least 2 brothers and a baby brother or sister.

Question is, what ever happened to them? Are they ever mentioned before or after?

I think it could have been potentially a good story if they had ever featured them as adults.

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I often thought about that. Unlike most every character in ST, Kira has her family and home right next door all the time. Yet we never really saw much of it or heard about them.

Not just her siblings, but cousins, uncles, everyone. She never seemed to get together with them for all her Bajoran holidays and celebrations, never mentioned going to Bajor to visit them (oh sure, Bareil and Shakaar...)

I don't know. Go figure.

3. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Knowing her, one of two things happened IMHO: they were killed in the Resistance, or she alienated them and they are now estranged.

4. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to the books, they are both dead. Pohl died of malnutrition in the camps, and Reon was either a resistance member pretending to be a collaborator or a collaborator pretending to be a resistance member, and he was killed by either another collaborator or another resistance member or an Obsidian Order spy. Either way, Kira was definitely estranged from him, so basically it's a combination of both options Nerys Dukat mentioned.

I've mentioned this elsewhere, but one of the things I find fascinating about Kira is that she has literally no family left at all. Both her parents are dead. Both her brothers are dead. All her resistance cell-mates are dead. Her not-a-father is dead, her not-a-sister is dead, her not-a-son has been taken back to Earth. Two of her ex-lovers are dead, the third gone to the other side of the galaxy. And yet despite all of that, she stands up as one of the strongest, most faithful and reliable people on the station.

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree it's rather strange that Kira's surviving family (if indeed she has any) don't show up or get mentioned, given that Bajor is right next door and that she's now quite a prominent, no doubt famous, citizen. But then, given her history, I imagine Kira considers fellow resistance fighters her family more than any hypothetical aunts and uncles or second cousins. I imagine she constructs her identity along the lines of her brothers and sisters in arms, and/or brothers and sisters in faith, rather than who she shares genes with. Perhaps she truly doesn't care about any extended Kira clan or whatever her other family heritage is. Looking at it that way, I suppose we do meet Kira's family - Lupaza and Furel are to all intents and purposes her "older siblings", are they not? :)

The novel explanation for the brothers always sat well enough with me, and is more or less what I assumed anyway. Since Reon and Pohl are so rarely mentioned, I decided they must have died or else become less than relevant to her. And as she dedicated her adolescence and young womanhood to the freedom of Bajor, either they were part of her motive (being ultimate victims of the occupation) or relatively unimportant in relation to that goal (because they didn't share it - collaboration or indifference, who knows?)

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Her not-a-son being Kirayoshi?

7. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't know about the novels, thanks all for filling me in. That storyline makes sense. Though I think it could have added something to her character to be dealing with a wayward brother in an episode or two.

8. DS9Continuing

That's what I meant, yes. The others being Tekeny and Ziyal.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They disappeared along with all of Kira's boyfriends! :p

10. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I can't remember, but did Shakaar die?

11. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Not on TV, but he died in the novels.

12. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't Sisko have a sister too? We never saw her either.

13. DS9Continuing

Yep - again, she showed up in the books, but not in the show. Her name is Judith (what is with J names in that family?) and she is a cellist in the Portland Philharmonic or something like that. Plus he also has two brothers (or I suppose half-brothers strictly speaking), who were mentioned in the books but never really "seen" as such.

However, it was in the last season of TNG that people complained that there were too many episodes involving family members coming aboard the Enterprise. So maybe it's for the best that not as much attention was paid to the crew's family members on DS9. On the other hand, the stationary nature of DS9 as opposed to the constantly moving Enterprise would make family members more likely to show up randomly.

14. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I always assumed her siblings were dead and that this was a part of why she was bitter. I think we got to see her father in an episode, and we saw her mother, and as for other family, well, we saw Sisko's dad, Worf's son, Odo's family with the great link, I don't think we saw Jadzia's family although an ex-wife of one of her hosts stops by, we saw Ezri's family, and we saw Bashir's parents. That's not bad when in seven years we probably didn't see everything that happened. Episodes tend to cover snippets of time. Oh, and we saw Quark's mother too.

15. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They must have died, since they weren't there at there father's deathbed. I'm pretty sure Kira lost all her close family members and more distant ones like uncles and aunts, or maybe she never saw them... Who knows?

16. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bajorans were cannibals.