Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And we still don't know who Dr Whale's "prince" is.

I liked Lancelot's reference to his full name "Lancelot du Lac"--Lancelot of the Lake--that he was "raised next to a lake."

2. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

My guess is that he was close to George and knows that Charming is a pretender.

3. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Strictly speaking, Cora would have a vested interest in making sure no live Lancelot showed up to raise the issue of who was running the haven.

But you never know.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really enjoyed this episode. I'm really liking the stuff in the modern fairy tale world. I'm glad they reunited Jefferson and his daughter.
    I'm also very curious where they are going with Cora and with King George.

5. degra

degra Fleet Captain Newbie

Eh.. I tried giving this another go this season to see if it improved from last and it hasn't. I appreciate the writers focusing on just a few of the same characters week-in and week-out compared to trying to juggle a bunch of them but I still find the flashbacks pretty perfunctory and boring. The stuff in Storybrooke is a bit halting and the overall storytelling is a bit aimless. More specifically in this episode I thought there was a lot of padding--the Ogres, Henry stealing the keys and going to Regina's vault only to have what I thought might be a pretty interesting turn of events go nowhere(plus I find it hard to believe Regina would let Charming know where her vault was), the whole flashback with Snow being unable to bear children was highly predictable and glacially paced, Jefferson's reunion was too brief and really lacked any emotional resonance.

6. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to admit I find myself a lot less interested in the "fairybacks" now.

To me the stuff happening in Storybrooke (with the citizens having regained their memories) and with the surviving characters in fairyland is MUCH more interesting at this point.

It's not like we really need any more backstory for characters like Regina or Snow. I think we know what makes them tick.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^It's still one of my favorite shows, but I do have to agree that the flashbacks feel a little unnecessary at this point. Once Emma and Snow ended up in The Enchanted Forest, I was really hopping we would just jump between them and what's going on in Storybrooke. It wasn't to bad in this one, but I could see where jumping between the three different plot lines could get annoying if one or two start to get in the way of plot progression in the other/s.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

True, but she might not be above stowing him away in dungeon or tower somewhere, 'cause that's just how evil fairytale queens roll . . .

I mean, if you just want to get rid of someone, there are probably easier ways than curses and poison apples and endless naps that can only be broken by true love's kiss or whatever. But evil queens never just whack someone when they can curse them instead.

9. js

js Captain Captain

Just quoted for awesomeness. :)

10. Stiletto

Stiletto Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could Cora be the reason the curse did not take in this part of the kingdom?

11. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

That's a good thought. Regina banished Cora through the mirror, not knowing where she'd end up. Cora is more powerful than Regina, I believe. It will be interesting when both meet again. The sparks will fly I'm thinking.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That is indeed a good thought. The curse did effect them somewhat, though, as they were frozen for 28 years. I'll bet Cora had something to do with it, though.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

But didn't Regina admit that she lied about The Enchanted Forest being destroyed? I would think if it only survived because of Cora she wouldn't have known that it survived.

14. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finally up to date with the episodes. I actually like the flashbacks cause lot of last season i forgot so kind of helps me remember who is who.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  15. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

You have to remember that the curse is a result of Rumpelstiltskin's magic. He tailored every aspect of it, so if you're going to puzzle out why this area of the kingdom survived, it's him you have to look at, not Regina or Cora.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It doesn't appear to have actually destroyed any of the world though. Snow and Charming's Castle was still there, although it was in ruins.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The thing is, though, that it doesn't seem to have gone entirely as planned. After the curse was broken, he was not aware that he wouldn't be able to leave town.

18. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

New ep tonight captain hook intro thos will be good :)

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's waited so long for Bael, I'm pretty sure that if Gold left, he'd forget all about Bael. That's likely unacceptable to him. Any thought that, since this side effect wasn't part of Gold's plan, there's another force at work here?

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It reads more as the typical "un-intended consequences of magic" trope to me.