Why does Germany get the cool novel covers?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Graywand2, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

might not be such a bad idea. last time i looked on half.com it was pretty expensive. haven't checked e-bay.

2. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

It doesn't show up at all on abebooks.com

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

From India.

I got the British vibe as well, but she's actually from Deneva. A Denevan of British and Indian descent perhaps?

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Choudhury (in various spellings) is a very common surname in India. Jasminder is a fairly common Indian given name.

And most Indians today who speak English do so with a British accent, or a mix of British and Indian accents, because of the long history of British presence in India. That probably influenced how I wrote Choudhury's dialogue, which might be what gave the impression of Britishness. But it's Kadohata who's explicitly a Brit.

Of course "British ancestry" can mean a lot of things. Indians, Pakistanis, etc. are the largest nonwhite ethnic population in the United Kingdom.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the books it say Kadohata has a Port Shangri-la accent, did anyone who's written her have a real word one in mind for it?

6. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

I thought Lt. Choudhury was Indian too.

Though I thought since she came from Mallarashtra Province, Deneva it was implied that a Denevan English accent was rather British sounding and at least that part of Deneva was heavily Indian in origin and culture.

7. Christopher

In Kadohata's very first scene in Q&A, it's said simply that "she spoke with a British accent." It was later that it was revealed she actually spoke with a Port Shangri-la accent that sounded pretty much indistinguishable from a British accent. (Although the actress that the authors have pretty much settled on as the basis for her, Stephanie Jacobsen, has an Australian accent.)

Why the past tense? She is ethnically Indian. That's as true now as it's been all along.

When I've written her, I've imagined her with an understated South Asian accent. (In fact, I initially wrote her as being Punjabi by birth, maybe from Amritsar or somewhere around there, but Dave wanted something less obvious and picked Deneva off the top of his head -- which then made him cackle wickedly as he realized he could put her through an emotional wringer since he already planned to wipe out Deneva. Yes, I actually heard him cackle wickedly through an e-mail.)

8. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except for the big one in the corner, that one is the Phoenix. Possibly the NX-Delta, they used the same cockpit set for both.

9. JoeP

JoeP Captain Captain

The Phoenix's nose was conical:
    [​IMG]

Definitely the orbital inspection pod:
    [​IMG]

10. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The others look like vipers and raptors from nuBSG.

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

So, basically, Choudry is Indian by way of Deneva, and Kadohata is Asian by way of Britain by way of Cestus.

12. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

yup, pretty much covers it. complicated, aint it?

13. Sci

*shrugs* Probably just a more complete understanding of human ancestry and migratory patterns, is all.

I mean, I would tend to think of myself as an English-American -- which could be phrased as English by way of America -- but, really, if I'm going to be complete, what that actually means is that I'm Norse by way Normandy by way of England by way of America and Anglo-Saxon by way of England by way of America and Celtic by way of England by way of America.

14. Christopher

More or less. Except that Kadohata is biracial, an Anglo-Japanese mix.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I have often wondered if there are any sites on different premiums of different ship sets or the like.

16. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

I thought she was Indian when I read the book.

I thought it was just part of the recent string of "lets give the colony worlds their own cultural profiles" schtick. The same way that Italian names seem to come up so often from Cestus III.

I have no problem whatsoever with this concept, BTW.

As for the wicked cackle, well, what else do we expect from the Angel of Death? Given such malicious intent, perhaps the people of Deneva should sue David Mack for "Extermination of Character". Though they'd have to get in line behind the Columbia crew.

Was there blood running from the keyboard when you read the message? ;)

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Or just American.

18. Christopher

That's because Italian names come up so often in everything KRAD writes. :lol:

19. Sci

While I am most certainly American, "American" isn't an ethnicity in the way "English" is. Americanism is about political citizenship, not ancestry.

20. Christopher

American is an ethnic group, though we tend to prefix it with "Native." The problem is that we in the United States of America also use the word "American" to mean "a citizen of the United States of America," which tends to confuse the issue.