La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Ordered! the sample selection is excellent too.

2. Section 31 1/2

Section 31 1/2 Ensign Red Shirt

Just placed my order too. Listening through the clips offered on the website. The Call To Arms clip sounds epic.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

[Wakes up, goes to order CD] ...Aww come on! The autographed copies are gone already? How many were there, 10?

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Ordered mine! ;) Still haven't had a chance to listen to my TOS set yet, which arrived here while I was overseas.

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

How did you manage THAT? I've been checking the LA LA LAND site since 5am California time, and it just now (2:21pm) actually showed up on the list.

Oh, wait....you know somebody that works there, don't you? A little grease, and all that.....

Anyway, mine's ordered, and if I get the shipping confirmation by Friday, I'll be surprised.

It's okay, I can wait.:bolian:

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

How does that work? The website mentions paying extra P£P per CD.

7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Just noticed nothing that ther is nothing from Chattaway's "Sons and Daughters" score for the scene where Alexander joins the House of Martok; that was a neat score that played to the sombre moment of the scene.

8. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as I love DS9, the music isn't exactly the show's strong suit, and I'm not sure if I want to plop down $50 for 4 discs of Berman-era "sonic wallpaper". Convince me!

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^There are sample tracks at the link provided in post #158. You can listen for yourself.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No idea. I take the PayPal route (but could also do the Visa card instead) - my Australian address details pop up automatically, because I'm a regular customer, and have been verified via PayPal - and the site calculates the postage to Australia.

Not sure what you mean by "per CD", but yeah, overseas customers will always pay "extra" postage.

11. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I totally forgot they started taking orders for this (I was so busy at work, it slipped my mind).

12. Section 31 1/2

Just based upon the clips

Disc one sounds like general McCarthy. The Die is Cast could be Way of the Warrior almost note for note. Though the Far Beyond the Stars clip sounds pretty good.

Disco two I must say I compared the clip of A Call to Arms to the actual scene it airs in and my god they really mixed down the music in the final edit. I would wager they reached a compromise with the composers during the DS9 and Voyager era, we'll allow more interesting music through (as compared to late TNG) but we'll just mix it down so it won't make a difference anyway.

Disc three looks the most interesting but the clips offered are so-so. Looks like Richard Bellis get's 1:55 of disc space? What's the point!?

Disc 4 looks decent as well. The spy music sounds like fun and the fight music for Trials and Tribble-ations seems as if it suffered the same mixing down problems in the final episode. Is it me or did it seem there was a brief ode to some TOS style fight percussion at one point? I could be just imagining that.

Definately looks to be a far more interesting listen compared to the TNG set.

13. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Both of which are taken from the Star Trek: Generations score. McCarthy was sometimes shameless when it came to reusing his music.

I'm a little curious about the Storyteller cues because the music is practically inaudible in the episode and there has to be a reason for that. As you pointed out, they tended to dial down the interesting stuff.

Not only mixed down but it looks like the cue was tampered with. In the episode there's just one statement of the villain theme as the Defiant is fighting its way out whereas in that clip, there's two statements.

I'm not thrilled with what I heard of the finale score (which I haven't watched since it aired) but it just might be the samples chosen. Didn't remember at all that McCarthy reused the theme from "The Visitor" for the scene where Kasidy was talking to Prophet Ben.

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The music they took from Generations sounds like it's the same recording and everything. I know they're working with a smaller group of musicians for the show, so I suppose there's no need to re-record the music if you're going to re-use it verbatim.

My question is -- When they re-use music from other movies/shows, is that the composer's choice? Or is that the choice of the music editor? Or even the producers/director? Not that it really matters, but I'm just curious.

15. Omega Particle

Omega Particle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Also, the "Worf Kills Gowron" clip from David Bell...that music turned pretty frequently on Voyager, as I recall.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

All of the named individuals work together in "spotting" the music, i.e. deciding what goes where, but as with everything else, the final decision lies with the executive producer. Normally, per modern union rules, every episode needs a full original score, so even if themes or cues are reused, they have to be re-performed. Judging from the liner notes to the Ron Jones TNG set, the only times a pre-existing cue was tracked into an episode were when the executive producer rejected the cue the composer had written for a scene and they had to substitute something else.

As I recall, the "Way of the Warrior" music was not absolutely verbatim the same music from Generations, just a very close restatement. I'd assume that was the case here as well. So it would've been a new recording, not a tracked cue. If it were tracked, it certainly wouldn't be listed in the CD credits as a separate piece. It would be credited under its original name, catalog number, and other specifics.

17. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, very cool. Thanks for the insight!

18. Section 31 1/2

Bell was a great addition to both DS9 and Voyager but he was by far the most repetitive composer. Take for example the cue in Sacrifice of the Angels when Kira and Rom get in the fire fight in the cargo bay it is almost exactly the same as the opening phaser fight in the Voyager episode Unity. Not to say his scores did not enchance the episodes he did but they had a tendancy to sound like the same score over and over.

19. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

It isn't the exact same piece of music, no. It's entirely similar though, and obviously McCarthy re-used the Generations action theme from 'The Crash', but even his Generations score has a climax to that scene that very obviously apes his score for "All Good Things..."

And it's not like McCarthy is the first composer to do this. Listen to James Horner's scores, he does it all the time too. Battle Beyond the Stars and Aliens sound just like Wrath of Khan in places. Titanic and Avatar are eerily similar. Hans Zimmer's music all sounds the same.

I'm not getting why it's such a big deal that McCarthy, who wrote music for Trek for 18 years, quoted himself in some of his work.

It depends, certainly. For 'These Are The Voyages...', Mike Sussman suggested the mini montage at the end of the episode, which McCarthy then used to quote Jerry Goldsmith's TMP theme (ostensibly, at the time, to evoke the TNG theme.) That could easily have been a directive from Rick Berman or it could have been McCarthy's choice.

I've written about the music composing process for weekly television dramas here before but I don't have time to go searching for it, but usually, if you've got a showrunner who is hands-on with the music of the series, he or she will invariably direct what gets used and what an individual episode's overall "sound" will be.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  20. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral