Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

When the Scoutmaster started talking about how "The Crying Man" is coming to get you... Who thought that an Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D./Sliders cross over was impending?

2. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

I did. I heard "Crying Man" and immediately thought of Sliders. I just wasn't sure whether it was an in-universe reference to a fictional show, or a sly way to connect the Sliders universe to the Marvel one (as in, Rembrandt Brown was a real missing person in the MCU and had become an urban legend there).

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm sure it's a coincidence. "Crying Man" just sounds like the kind of name someone would come up with for the scary guy in a campfire story. It's not that uncommon a phrase.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I thought of Sliders too!

5. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Oh no, not bloody Torchwood again. They even plaster the organization's name over its black SUV -- but at least no Christmas-tree lights. If Coulson is Captain Jack Harkness, how do the other characters map? May = Ianto? Skye = Gwen?

To me, she'll always be Mulan.

6. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe what they're hiding from Coulson is that Fury stained his precious Captain America trading cards with blood, lest he go berserk ;)

Really enjoyed this episode, glad that Fitzsimmons got the focus but everybody still had a lot to do. The characterization was the real strong point of the episode. More of the same please.

I like the idea of Fitz eventually turning into a villain after feeling ostracized, if a love triangle between Jemma, Ward and Skye happens, as someone else mentioned upthread.

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Already been addressed in "Eye-Spy"...

Ward: I know Director Fury felt he owed you after you sacrificed yourself.

Coulson: And my card collection...

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't get this reference. I was referring to the Human Torch.

9. Christopher

^I think he's referring to the lead character of Torchwood being immortal.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, but I wasn't saying Coulson was immortal--I was saying the the LMD angle could very well be an intentional misleading of the audience, when the real secret about Coulson is something entirely different.

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

He's really skrull that's had his memory wiped and replaced with Coulson's.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing that the post-Thor 2 episode will be about...
    that huge dog monster that was still around London trying to eat the pigeons haha

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Re: Fitz going to the Dark Side.

No. No, no, no. No no no. Nonono.

A thousand times no.

:rommie:

14. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

It makes a certain amount of sense though, they have two research/tech characters, no problems arise by killing one of them.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, it would be quite odd for Fitz to start doing biological stuff, though. Or Simmons technical stuff. The characters (while they have nuances I wasn't expecting when we first met them) work as a pair. Killing off one ruins that whole point.

16. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

You saw how Fitz carried on with the bio research after Jemma was infected. I'm sure she could do the same with the tech. Or they could just add another character.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, he really didn't. He had his hand held to explain how the antiserum worked and figured out the helmet thing. He also injected a mouse.

Sure, they could kill off one of them. They could kill off both of them if they want to. I'd argue it makes more sense to have both leave than just one.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I would be willing to bet that if a dire fate lies ahead for either Fitz or Simmons, it will be at the hands of their former instructor Dr Franklin Hall aka Graviton. I noticed that when Fitz was exclaiming,"Oh no, Dr Hall!", Simmons was saying "Not Frank!"

Perhaps it will come to pass that Dr Hall has a soft spot for sweet little Jemma.

19. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, got bored, and the good press here led me to try it. This one was watchable because the dreary Squarejaw and Sky didn't suck all the life out of it. Can't say I really agree that the hermaphrodite monster got personalities. Being in the same age bracket as Squarejaw, Nerd has to be beta male, which in the hands of hacks means a male ingenue who hasn't got the liveliness of say, Harry Kim. It's not likely there will every be any Nerd/Nerdette shipping, it would be too gay for broadcast. And Sky is the Mary Sue, plus Nerdette is still too smart.

As to the continuing arc of What Happened to Coulson? It's hard to believe that anyone was ever interested, but the news that he went to Heaven inspires two thoughts. The writers are shameless hacks. And Heaven has no standards for entry at all.

20. Christopher

Please, no. I am so sick of the cliched TV assumption that any given scientist can be an expert in every branch of science at once. It takes years and years of dedicated, intensive study to become an expert in just one field, and most scientists are so narrowly focused on their own fields of expertise that they know very little about other fields. Granted, we've already seen Fitz & Simmons portrayed as polymaths who were somehow both able to have the same mentor even though none of the three were in the same field. But at least having two experts with complementary specialities is a little less stupid than having one person who's a genius in everything.

Or maybe Simmons is just a friendlier and more outgoing person than Fitz and thus is more likely to refer to someone by his first name. Which is absolutely consistent with their characterization so far. So I don't think it's evidence of anything unprofessional there.