Would You Be Ok With Khan Being A CGI Ricardo Montalban?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Shilliam Watner, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Orrrrrrr-ci, you got some splainin' to do!!!!!!

2. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just hire an actor. He doesn't have to look like Montalban.

3. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

I suppose it could be thought a CGI Khan might better help general audiences get it but if they don't know the name then they won't understand the face.

New actor. Doesn't really matter though, it's not Khan.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Yeah, really, I doubt that "general audiences" today would know who Ricardo Montalban was. Even if they did, they probably wouldn't see him as a draw.

5. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

But he has to look like Khan, in the same way that Montalban fitted the image that Gene L. Coon and Carey Wilber conceived of.

It's the same reason why each of the new actors in the roles of Kirk and co. were chosen as much because of their resemblances and similar features to their predecessors, as their talent.

6. Christopher

I think that's overstating the resemblance. The only one who really looks a lot like his forebear is Zachary Quinto, who bears a startling resemblance to a young Leonard Nimoy. Chris Pine looks somewhat similar to Shatner, Karl Urban bears a broad resemblance to Kelley (allowing for the different eye color), but none of the others really look much like the original actors beyond having approximately the same ethnicity.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I think you might be missing some sarcasm there.

8. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you sure it wasn't a kimono rather than a Sikh coat? Maybe it was Steven Seagal. ;)

9. Christopher

It was just a white coat. People who want/expect Khan to be in the film are biased to interpret it as a Sikh coat. And I didn't see a ponytail either. People see what they expect to see, which is why it's so unwise to form expectations in advance of hard evidence.