Guy Ritchie To Direct 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' Starring Tom Cruise

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Shilliam Watner, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Guy Ritchie To Direct 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' Starring Tom Cruis

:guffaw: They should run with that. The tagline could be: HAMM-er time!

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

"Get HAMMered by UNCLE!"

Edit to add: Deadline reports that Henry Cavill is in early talks to star in The Man from UNCLE.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^That would be pretty cool. I did think he might be a possibility but, as with Hammer, I thought he might be as yet an unproven draw in his own right (in MOS it's the title character who will be the draw). It would be interesting to see how a movie fares where the two leads have each played the title in a big franchise/tentpole movie but are themselves fairly new to the world of leading men.

And of course, with Armie having been lined up to play Batman in George Miller's Justice League and still cropping up in wishlists for the inevitable reboot, this might be our first glimpse at Batman and Superman onscreen together!

4. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think it'd be easy not to be vain about hair color when one looks, sounds, and looks as good with gray hair as Clooney. :rommie:

Anyone else without pre-existing fondness for the property think The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is kind of a lame name, though? I didn't grow up with the show, but I have a hard time picturing something with that title doing as well with the unwashed teen-demo masses as something shorter and punchier a la Get Smart.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

His father Nick Clooney (who was a local news anchor when I was growing up, and whom I got to meet once) always looked good with silver hair, and I'm struck by how much more George resembles his father as he gets older.

On the other hand, it's been an inspiration for other titles continuing to the present day -- there are upcoming Marvel Comics-based TV shows called Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in live action and Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. in animation. Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created S.H.I.E.L.D. in the comics just a year after TMFU premiered, and were drawing on it as an influence (as well as James Bond organizations like SPECTRE -- and keep in mind that Ian Fleming had a hand in the creation of TMFU).

The name U.N.C.L.E. was chosen because it evoked both the United Nations and Uncle Sam, but was ambiguous about the organization's actual affiliation.

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I get and give you all that, but my question was about the under-25 demo remains: SHIELD is an inherently cool name for an organization, and UNCLE is not. Maybe it wouldn't really matter. We'll see?

7. Christopher

Perhaps that depends on how patriotic you are. Or has "Uncle Sam" fallen out of use as a meme? There are certainly some segments of the population that would react negatively to the hint of a United Nations connection... but then, those are the same segments that would tend to react more positively to the Uncle Sam connotation.

Then again, maybe it just depends on how cool an uncle you have. Let's see, my uncles include two physicists, one of whom worked on some of the earliest computers and studied under one of the guys who thought up wormholes, and a classical scholar who was a cryptographer in WWII and played a key role in deciphering the Greek Linear B alphabet, going on to become the world's leading authority on Mycenaean texts. So I guess I can't really sympathize with your view that uncles aren't cool. ;)

Anyway, for a while, the name of the series was going to be just Solo, or Ian Fleming's Solo. (The extended color version of the pilot on the DVD set is under the title Solo.) They changed it because there was a character named Solo in Goldfinger. Fleming sent the producers a letter ceding the rights to the character name Napoleon Solo and all the ideas he'd developed in exchange for one dollar (or was it one pound?), but they still had to change the name of the show to something that wouldn't be seen as infringing on the Bond franchise.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

They could always used the series title as a subtitle if someone thinks it will be a problem.

SOLO: The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Just as long as they don't go the "John Carter of Mars" route and shorten it to:

SOLO: The Man.

9. Captaindemotion

^Though if the actor playing Kuryakin is just as famous as the one playing Solo (and it's about a tie at this point and will probably remain so after Man of Steel and Lone Ranger are released) that could be a problem.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^Yeah but let's be honest most people love Kuryakin just as much as Solo ;)

As for U.N.C.L.E, I guess it depends how they play it, not every organisation wants to call itself K.I.L.L, in particular one that isn't that, as far as I recall, top secret.

In fact if it were up to me (which it never will be) the trailer would start out a homesy tale with people in quiet rural parts talking about their problems and that maybe their uncle can help out...

Cue the music and cue the explosions :D

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, Hammer has been a name that's been strongly rumored for the new Batman.

12. Captaindemotion

^Yeah, I mentioned that a few posts ago. Wonder if this film will be a trial run for World's Finest or Justice League?!

13. Christopher

I've only seen the first season so far, but it's been very inconsistent about how secret (the) U.N.C.L.E. is. In the early episodes, Solo & Kuryakin are often openly telling civilians about their agency and what it does, and generally people have heard of it. There's one episode where Illya is trying to recruit Jill Ireland to help him out with a mission during a crowded party scene while there are multiple civilians (mostly members of the show's staff) well within earshot. Yet at the same time, they comport themselves like a highly secret spy agency, hiding their HQ behind the facade of a tailor shop -- yet their archenemies are perfectly well aware that that's where their HQ is located! Yet later in the season, they're playing U.N.C.L.E.'s existence much more secretly; in one episode, when they need to recruit Kathryn Hays to get close to a villain who's an old flame of hers (exactly the same reason they openly recruited Pat Crowley's character in the piot), Solo essentially kidnaps her and won't even tell her the name of the organization that's holding her captive and demanding her cooperation.

Well, there was a running gag in the show involving characters talking about getting help from a kindly uncle, or having a message for their uncle, or whatever. I suppose that was inevitable, really.

14. Captaindemotion

15. Captaindemotion

16. Christopher

From the description, it sounds like they're playing up the Cold War tensions that were barely mentioned in the original show. But the mention of their lead being a missing scientist's daughter suggests that they're sticking with the original formula of having an "innocent" in every episode.

I expected that Hugh Grant would end up playing Mr. Waverly. He seems a bit young for the part, but has the right kind of slightly dotty upper-class Britishness.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looking forward to it. though, i would have liked if Robert Vaughn could have played Mr. Waverly. hopefully he and David McCallum get a cameo or something.

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I hope so, too.

So it's set in the early 60s and Cruise is out. Great news on both fronts. I hope they plan to go for the right tone.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sounds very promising. I'd have liked to see either Vaughn or McCallum as Waverly and maybe if this had been done ten/fifteen years ago that would have been likely but they are both, sadly, getting on a bit now. I do hope we get a cameo.

Grant seems young, but he is 52 now so he's two decades+ older than Solo and Kuryakin! When we have an M only 5 years older than 007 that doesn't seem so outrageous!

And my old nemesis Jared Harris as well...

Looking good...

20. Christopher

Leo G. Carroll was 72 when he debuted as Waverly. Robert Vaughn is currently 80 and David McCallum is 79. So they're both around the right age -- certainly closer to it than Hugh Grant is. I wouldn't mind seeing McCallum in the role.

Then again, I suppose the studio is thinking franchise, so they want a Waverly that's likely to be around for a few sequels.