The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The Uncle Scrooge story a really cool story, by the way. Friends of mine have offered to buy that issue of Uncle Scrooge off me, and I won't part with it. :)

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Inception also lifted a few things from Paprika, such as the dream elevator and a protagonist who doesn't dream normally anymore due to overuse of the dreamshare technology.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

His first three films -- especially Memento -- are all worth seeing. I'd definitely recommend them.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I made the mistake of watching the linear version of Memento, where it becomes apparent how stupid all the characters really are. Ruined the film for me.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's supposed to be that there is no crime at all anymore, I'm thinking it's just that there is nothing serious enough for them to need Batman.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This makes the most sense explaining Batman's absence.

7. Set Harth

How are the characters stupid?

8. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wonder if the Dent Act that has been mentioned is something of a police state type of crackdown. Sure, there is no crime, but it could be part of what incites Bane's revolution of sorts.

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, hell, now I have to lower my opinion of Nolan. He had the hard work done for him but he still forgot to have his two protagonists interact? Pathetic. Thanks for the link.

As for the Joker talking, that would imply the Batman movies are written as though the characters were real people (somewhere.) The Joker no more talks off screen than he spends two hours manhandling the hostages around the skyscraper or days sneaking explosives into the hospital. Essentially no one can even be pretended to exist when they're off screen. That's how Batman can move off screen on one side of a set of bad guys, then suddenly be on the other side without lumbering around in his Bat armour. He just wasn't anymore, then he was just somewhere else. No traveling involved. This kind of bad writing is unfortunately fairly common.

10. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

I don't think Nolan's take on Batman is supposed to be true realism, just comic book realism. In other words, taking the ideas seriously, showing how it WOULD be if it were realistic. In that sense I think it succeeds brilliantly.

11. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Seriously, are we gonna get any actual detective work in this flick? Or is it just gonna be ninjaman beats everyones ass part 3?

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I have that comic too, it's a bit more different than "Inception" but still pretty funnily damn close.

You must have missed the "detective work" Batman did in the second movie including some ballistics work, trying to track criminals with radioactively marked money, and other touches here and there.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really think the Nolan movies are pretty much as realistic as a serious take on Batman could possibly get. No matter what you do, there's still going to have to be a fair amount of suspension of disbelief for a serious take on the character to work. And IMO at least, the ratio of realism/SOD in the Nolan films has been pretty much perfect.
    I noticed that in the official cast list, they just have Ann Hathaway listed as Selina Kyle, so I'm wondering if we won't actually hear the name Catwoman in the movie.

14. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Right, that's pretty much what I mean. We know that "Batman" as such is not going to play out realistically, but the Nolan films are as serious and realistic a take on the character as you can get. Compare them to previous versions of the character, and it's not even close.

15. Set Harth

Stop-and-frisk would be a good start.

16. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I also think the Batman films are "realistic". Just look at Batman himself. And compare him to Iron Man. Batman actually feels like a real person. Realistic impacts. Realistic injuries. His armor doesn't protect him that much. On the other hand we have Iron Man, who has infinite rocket fuel, who can withstand any G-force, and who never ever gets hurt when he wears the suit. The, well, how do you say it... "physical realism" in Nolan Batman films are a big plus.

Then the characters feel more realistic. I love how he took every villain and turned him/her into a person that could exist in the real world.

But on the other side, there are huge unrealistic elements, some of them come down to pretty poor writing (as others mentioned, for example, the Joker's ability to rig entire buildings and ships with explosives without anyone noticing, etc...).

18. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

19. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I listened to it last night and it was quite good. I was hoping the eerie music from the most recent full trailer was part of the score but I don't think I heard it. Pity.