NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, Jun 17, 2011.

1. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Let's hope it's all new stories. I have absolutely no desire to see old episode retreads. With the new timeline, they wouldn't make much sense anyway.

As far as Amok Time goes, they won't handle it, at least I seriously doubt it. I mean, the planet Vulcan his history, along with probably, what? 99% of the Vulcan species. Why and how would the Amok Time scenario even arise? I guess Spock's betrothed could've been one of the survivors or it could just be about his Pon Farr in general and not about a specific person. Still, I'd much rather see all new stories and no mention of anything from the original series.

Just my two cents on the subject.

- Byron

2. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

We know it's definitely not all new stories, because the solicit specifically mentions the first arc to be a reimagining of "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

3. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why does "Where No Man . . . " need to be reimagined? The point of the new movie was to create a new universe unconstrained by the old stuff. So why re-do the old stuff? There is an old Russian proverb, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I think this shows the lack of ability on the IDW writing team.

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Did anyone else in this thread watch the new Battlestar Galactica? They were remaking episodes of the original show all the way up to the last season, often in considerably greater scope and wildly different execution. Compare "The Return of Starbuck" to "You Can't Go Home Again", "Lost Planet of the Gods" to the "Kobol's Last Gleaming" nine-parter, "The Living Legend" to "Pegasus"/"Resurrection Ship", and, most surprisingly...
    ... "Experiment in Terra" to "Revelations", "Sometimes a Great Notion", and "No Exit".

I very much doubt this is just going to be a photonovel of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" with Chris Pine's face pasted over William Shatner's. I'd be the only commonalities will be a big pink blob at the edge of the galaxy, and the fact that some folks get psychic powers from the same. After that, I fully expect things to go in a wildly divergent direction. I'll be shocked (albeit pleasantly) if Gary Mitchell even shows up.

And I don't see how this premise can be used to judge the ability of the writers. As the authors in this forum have stressed over and over and over, premises and ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the execution that matters. "The Galactica crew finds the legendary homeworld of humanity, Kobol, and discovers a vital clue towards the location of Earth" describes plots in the original and new BSGs, but I doubt anyone would say they were identical, or interchangeable, or a sign of lack of talent among the remake's writers (unless they were going to say that about the concept of remaking BSG as a whole, of course).

For that matter, "A planet-destroying menace is eating it's way through the galaxy, and only the Enterprise stands in its way" describes "The Doomsday Machine" and "The Immunity Syndrome."

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I actually really like the idea of Abramsverse versions of TOS episodes. I'm just curious to see what they keep and what they change.

6. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Which is a shame, because that would be hilarious.

Especially if it was only Kirk they did that with.

7. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

and why was'nt garry mitchel introduced in this series? or finnaginn <(correct the spelling if I am wrong) the guy who tormented kirk durring his academy days. all so do we ever find out what happened to him in the prime universe?

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there was a 3 or 4 year gap between Kirk entering the Academy and the rest of the movie. I could easily see them introducing Gary and Finnegan as people Kirk knew during the gap.

9. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

The neww kirk probably whopped Finegans ass.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Finnegan would be out of the Academy by the time Kirk arrives in the new timeline.

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

why would finnegan be out of the academy? and what ever became of him any ways?

12. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

How do we know this? In the new timeline Finnegan could be anywhere for all we know.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well... wasn't he an upper-classman in the Prime timeline? Kirk's arrival four years later would almost ensure that Finnegan would have graduated.

What's the point of the new timeline if we're just going to rehash TOS stories over and over?

14. Desert Kris

Desert Kris Captain Captain

This is pretty much what I said in a parallel version of this thread, in the ST Movies section of the forum. The new Galactica vs. the old Galactica is a beautiful example of taking the seed of an idea, and doing something similar, yet at the same time totally different. To suggest offhandedly that redoing old stories in new ways is unimaginative, with the above evidence in mind, strikes me as highly ironic. :rolleyes:

The purpose of the new Star Trek movie's timeline was to enable the possibility of both types of approaches. All new stories, or old stories that will have to unfold in a totally different manner. The new stories give new life to the original crew (as does what we've been shown about their new character dynamics), which is something that some fans want to see; and the reimagined versions of old stories gives other fans an expanded look at how the new history impacts and changes what we know.

Guys, please. We are basically being given two different cakes, and we are going to get to eat both of them, okay?! All you guys can do is complain? Seriously? :wtf::rolleyes:

It would be nice if they would work with the Pocket Books and the novelists to bring those cancelled books in line with whatever it is they think they need to be synched. As a courtesy, you know.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

A bit hard to make four lengthy novels sync with one movie and two yet-to-be-made sequels.

Be patient. Pocket paid out a lot of money for no $$$$ return - yet. They'll be pumping to tweak and release those books one day. We waited much longer for several other ST novels over the years.

16. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have you weighed in yet, Therin, on what you think of this new series?

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It's going to be down to whether or not the new editorial regime at Pocket feels it necessary to make a return on investment on a previous editorial regime's expenditures.

If Pocket has written the books off as a loss, we'll probably never see them.

If Pocket wants to try and recoup their investment, though...

The best case scenario would, of course, be to publish them as they were in the last round of corrections/approvals.

Slightly less but still very good would be another round of rewrites to bring the books in line with the next film, the comics, and the new video game which Orci says is canonical.

Worst case scenario would be to avoid the whole Bad Robot problem and publish them, after rewrites, as classic TOS novels. (I don't know if any of the four books could possibly work in Roddenberry Trek, but it might be a possible out.)

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's not out yet.

But I look forward to it very much. I buy and read all licensed ST fiction. The JJ movie tie-ins are really the only IDW ST titles that made much of a mark on the comics industry facts and figures of recent years. Most of their other ST comic mini-series barely got shelf space. WildStorm seemed to have a similar problem; most comic shops still really only care about how many Marvel and DC superhero titles they can line up, face out, beside each other.

I have no problem with an ongoing ST series that dabbles in both original stories and "what if" versions of almost-familiar-but-not-quite TOS settings and characters.

19. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Has anyone read the first two issues, covering the TOS pilot?

20. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I thought they were pretty good, taking place not too long after Star Trek XI. They were truly faithful both to the classic episode and to Star Trek XI, and did show a Kirk that was more Hamlet than Han Solo, IMO. As with the classic episode, it mainly focused on Kirk and Spock, so we'll have to wait for the stories that feature the rest of the "big seven."

A preview of issue #3 can be found here (it includes the first Abramsverse appearance of a familiar TOS character):
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=10618