24 returns as limited series

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by bigdaddy, May 10, 2013.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I loved the show, but while still mostly enjoyable, it was getting extremely repetitive and cliche ridden after that last peak in Season 5, so it was a good idea to shut things down when they did. That being said, I think the TV movie or proper film format (if they ever revive it) is definitely a great way to go for 24. Less time to fill with annoying and obstructive Division bosses, moles and double agents, endless torture, crazy presidents of the week, and cougar bait daughters.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't help shaking the feeling that, sometime around 2005-07, there was a tv show in development that would have done a real-time season of a wedding day, but I haven't been able to find any evidence of that online. Maybe I just made it up.

What I'd really like to see is a sci-fi movie done in real time and in one continuous shot, with the camera going through walls and zooming from planet surfaces to spaceship interiors and such. It could probably only be done in an entirely animated project, though... :p

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I thought the wedding day premise was the original concept the creators developed for a real-time program, only to go in the direction of anti-terrorism later?

(That sounds ridiculous, but I think I read it somewhere.)

EDIT: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20386852,00.html

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Gaith

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

They are now reporting a 12 episode order. My enthusiasm for the series has waned considerably since it ended, but I am willing to keep an open mind. Sutherland was great in the role, but even he couldn't elevate some of the series' weaker stretches. (It didn't help that a suitable replacement was never found for Dennis Haysbert, who was essentially the co-lead for seasons 1-3.)

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

So will the show now be called 12 then? LOL So much for real time.

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

So stupid. I understand that after the mess Fox had this year with not ordering enough shows to fill in the failures that they would order a ton.

But Bones on Friday and then comedy after it? And 24 coming back in May for a summer run?! Useless.

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Maybe with the 12-episode format, they can avoid such time-wasting cliches such as "The Mole" and "The CTU Agent With A Distracing Personal/Family Problem". Granted, in season 8, they burned off both of those with the same character, but it was still just filler,

11. Enterprise is Great

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/24-...ch-idol-return-to-three-judges-more-fox-news/

The new 12-episode 24 event series, titled 24: Live Another Day, will likely launch in early May 2014 running into the summer, Fox‘s entertainment chairman Kevin Reilly said during an upfront conference call this morning. The original idea to continue 24 was as a feature, which died after 24 showrunner Howard Gordon and his team concluded that ”24 being compressed into two hours is not 24,” Reilly said. But after Fox announced its event series push six months ago, Gordon sparked to the idea of resurrecting 24 that way. The 12-hour version will keep the real-time nature of the original series, skipping some hours in the 24-hour period it covers. That would actually benefit the show, Reilly said, noting that 24 producers always felt that the spine of each season of 24 were 12 episodes containing major events, with the other 12 providing connective tissue. “Now we’ll get the best part,” Reilly said. While Fox envisions its limited series as stand-alone, one-time events, some, including 24, could become franchises with multiple installments though it is unlikely to have a new 24 every year.

12. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

So now its confirmed! Yeah!! Time to get the 24 gang on the board here back together. lol

13. Enterprise is Great

Since they're bring back 24 as a limited series they should bring back The X-Files for 12 episodes and wrap it all up. Another movie is unlikely but perhaps a miniseries?

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^ Now THAT is an intriguing idea.

15. Gaith

But, with time jumps... how will they maintain the utter sense of realism and credibility?!

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe have the first 2 hours, then Jack gets knocked out or something, then its 12 hours later, shit is hitting the fan and the last 10 hours in a row.

I would love to see Greg Itzin back as Logan the slimeball ex president.

17. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey now they can be even MORE realistic. "Jack, where have you been for the last hour?" "I got some lunch, took a bathroom break, and then had a 20 minute nap." Alternatively, "I had to wait for the bus, and then napped next to the homeless guy on the way here."

18. Locutus of Bored

[​IMG]

The following episode takes place after Jack was stuck in traffic on the 405 Freeway between the hours of 4:00 PM and 6:00 PM.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

About that...

Wasn't Logan killed off? I think his ex-wife slashed his throat or something?

20. Locutus of Bored

His now institutionalized wife (who hates him for what he did) stabbed him in the shoulder in Season 6 and almost killed him, but he came back for Season 8. At the end of Season 8, he shot himself in the head, but the paramedics said he'll likely survive, though there might be some brain damage (that was just a preliminary guess on their part though, not based on any tests). So he could potentially come back and be a villain again, though honestly, that would be pretty tired. I think they've gone as far with his character as they can go. He's been good, evil, born again, evil again, and flatlined once. Only Jack and Tony have died and come back more than him.

I think they need to go with a more personal foe and limited scope threat for Jack like Victor Drazen was in Season One rather than make it a case where LA or the entire country is threatened again. Season One was a fairly straightforward assassination plot and revenge attempt, but they still made it exciting. After that they kept trying to outdo themselves each season and it just became more and more ridiculous. Keep it simple but exciting.