sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I just watched the Comic-Con Defiance panel and apparently Kevin Murphy, who has worked on The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Reefer Madness, Desperate Housewives, Reaper and Capric, is the show runner, not Rockne S. O'Bannon. I loved Caprica, and Reaper, and when I saw a kid I liked Sonic, so I'm not at all disappointed.

2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Given the previews, my enthusiasm level has dropped.

The "Roanoke Mystery" is a classic of American folklore, so we'll just ignore the fact that it's been solved and hope that this turns out well. :rommie:

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All that made me think is how great it'd be to have Kelsey on a season of AHS. And/or Douglas Hyde Pierce (who's played a psychotic socialite in a movie and thus seems well fitted).

Ehh. Caprica is the only one of those I'm sure I've seen (so many Sonic cartoons, etc.) and while it had a great pilot episode, strong cast, many individually good episodes, it did feel it could have a stronger focus as a series and some of the plots felt haphazard and if you're not putting that at the showrunners feet then who are you.

Still, as messy as Caprica could get I did basically like Caprica, so again, count me in on Defiance.

4. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dunno. That depends more on the writers than the network, although if they really want to push the action thing, they could try to get it into the Toonami Adult Swim block. It would really depend on the content and whether CBS would be okay with the older skewing demographic of that block (and at most getting 2 million viewers at the 12:30AM slot).

That said, it would be a lot safer than depending on CN to not cancel the show, because they've been shedding action shows like there's no tomorrow, and Toonami/AS would probably bend over backwards to promote the show (Toonami's biggest problem is lack of budget, to the point that they've been basically doing paid reviews to hype up stuff like Halo 4 and Wreck-It Ralph).

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's no such thing as Vulcans, so I guess you can't watch Star Trek. Apparently you expect science fiction shows to double as documentaries.

6. RJDiogenes

^^ Huh?

That would be interesting if they made it part of Adult Swim. As far as I know, all of those shows have always been satires or parodies, but nothing really adult in terms of drama or sophistication.

7. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Isn't the television version of The Boondocks on Adult Swim? A comedy, to be sure, but unsophisticated?

8. RJDiogenes

^^ Could be. I'm not familiar with that one. I was thinking of stuff like Venture Bros., Harvey Birdman, Sealab 2020....

9. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, the Toonami block is more action/drama oriented than the regular AS lineup and most of the stuff it airs typically falls under the scifi/fantasy genres. That's mostly due to the fact that Toonami airs a lot of anime (and currently two Western cartoons that got cancelled).

10. RJDiogenes

^^ I guess I'm out of touch with Cartoon Network. I'll have to research Toonami. A Star Trek cartoon could be a good fit with Anime.

11. Temis the Vorta

Highlander quasi-knockoff at NBC.

12. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see he worked on Terra Nova and Awake both of which had some promise, and it's not the worst idea for a TV show (although I note the description doesn't actually contain any specific supernatural elements, so there's a possibiltiy the program isn't SFF).

13. Temis the Vorta

I figured if the guy is interested in mythology, it's inevitable...

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That doesn't sound anything like Highlander to me.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

It sounds like it might fulfill the "There can be only One", but, yea no indication of Immortality or Supernaturalness.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm not seeing it either based on that description.

17. Temis the Vorta

It reminded me more of Highlander than anything else, and it definitely reminds me of something...ancient secret society...single combat...maybe Buffy?

But mainly I was just counting on you guys to help bump the thread. ;)

18. Temis the Vorta

CBS orders Stephen King adaptation, Under the Dome.

A big depature for CBS, if it goes to series. I wonder if their ratings drop this season has finally motivqted them to stop relying on their aging cop show audience. That can't last forever...

The show was originally being developed for Showtime.

19. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Sounds like a potential yawner, just like the deteriorating Revolution... :(

20. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I actually think Revolution has improved since it premiered. That's not saying much, but it's gotten good enough that I'll continue to watch it for now.