DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, the title Captain Craig is talking about is My Greatest Adventure, which will feature three stories an issue: Tanga, Garbage Man, and Robotman, whoever the heck that is. It starts in October.

That was excellent.

Somewhere I read (and I forget where) that they're done with it now. DC Retroactive: Justice League America was their last hurrah with the JLI, and they're not coming back. Ever.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That sucks. If they didn't want to be defined by it, they shouldn't have been so great.

Hopefully that wouldn't preclude them working together on something else, however. I'd read any project with that team.

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

:lol: That's a funny way of thinking.

Not that I disagree. Their JLI was amazing.

4. Myasishchev

And that goes double for you, Nimoy! :p

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Superboy #1 was interesting. I liked it. It's not clear to me how Caitlin leaps from the kid's lack of empathy to diagnosing him as genetically disposed to be a "megalomaniac" though.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

1+1= Luthor

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Yes, but Fairchild has no idea who the human donor is - she even discounts the possibility that someone with such a personality could exist. And she concludes all of this, as far as we're told and shown, simply from Connor's repeated lack of empathy for the woman in the burning house. That might make Connor a number of things, but that his genes come from a megalomaniac doesn't follow logically from that.

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The impression I got from it was "meh, it's a simulation, if I have to be in this VR setting I'll waste my time talking to the hot virtual girl".

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I was joking.

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally got around to reading my DC books.

Resurrection Man #1 - I only read spot issues of the first run back in the 90's. Usually cause of a crossover character appearing. I liked Resurrection Man but I never got on board. Was already reading/purchasing way too many back then to add another.
    I decided this go around to start with the character from the beginning and make room for RM in the budget.

I liked what I saw. The plot was laid out clearly that both a Heaven and a Hell are interested in Mitch's soul. The first volley here was a type of Angel coming for him. I wonder who her carrier is to get God on a cellphone?! LOL

Anyway so my thought is this, if we are to assume that Heaven and Hell are of the Judaism and Christian faiths could other Religious deities also take an interest in Mitch? Now I wouldn't want the book to be JUST about spritual issues but if the title lasts, which is why I'm picking it up in case it's fate is that of the 1st, then it would be an avenue to explore perhaps.

Demon Knights #1 - I really knew nothing more of this title coming in other than Etrigan, Dark/Middle Ages and Madame Xanadu. Xanadu being a character I know of in name only, zip, zero and nada to I know of her background except magic is involved.

I mean it's a Jack Kirby character, I was going to try him out. Especially since Etrigan hasn't had much spotlight the past decade.

I really liked the issue. Unlike some I don't feel the intro's were rushed. It felt like a journey unraveling at a good pace. Unlike JLA which is going to take SIX issues to get all the players together. But I digress.

Didn't know Vandal Savage would show so for me that was a plus. As I read the Q&A in the back of the issue the writer described the book as a type of Magnificent Seven in the Dark Ages, so Vandal Savage is going to be a regular it seems. Cool.

I know nothing of this Sir Ystin The Shinning Knight. My first thought was "Hey, it's Loki's son" Assuming he's an existing character I'll Wiki him.

So Xanadu is having an affair with the same physical space regardless of whose home. Interesting. I wonder if that type personality was normal for her or if that's something new. Seems cold, I mean who am I to believe she really cares for? She could be lying to both or lying to one to protect the one she does love?

I didn't really notice it till I was on the DC boards but it seems the titles I'm trying out, for fear they could be first cancelled, are the ones under their DARK banner. I got Swamp Thing, Animal Man and now these two.
    I may see if I can go ahead and get Frankenstein, Agent of Shade now. A few seem to have given that some good remarks upthread. Maybe go ahead and test out JLDark as well, both are ones I hadn't thought to get but maybe I'll stay with their DARK books outside of Aquaman which is going to be the only "hero" book I get.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  12. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, I assume that they're not altering Superboy to such an extent that his gene donors are different.

13. Admiral_Young

Plus IIRC that little revelation was during Geoff Johns Teen Titan run. I doubt they would undo something Johns implemented.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Right, originally he wasn't even a clone of Superman.

15. Myasishchev

In fairness, it's one of the better ideas Johns ever came up with.

16. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

but they could draw from the third movie to increase the disturbingness of the character, right?

3 percent nicotine?

17. Myasishchev

^:lol:

Mysterious origin, huh? That worked out great last time!

18. Admiral_Young

^ I'm still concerned with this new direction they are taking Supergirl in. Once again we get a totally new version of her. Seems this happens once every few years or so. Crisis. John Bryne Matrix version. Peter David angel version. Michael Turner version, and of course Karen Starr. Sigh. LOL.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't get this though. When Superboy was created, Luthor was in a clone body posing as his own son. When Cadmus took Superman's body to clone it, Luthor, Lois, and Supergirl worked to stop them. Did the retcon just completely ignore this story altogether? (I actually thought that this was just a Smallville invention originally.)

20. Admiral_Young

No. It wasn't a "Smallville" invention, in fact Smallville took the Luthor/Clark Kent DNA thing and used it. Connor was originally thought to be the clone of Superman and Cadmus Director Paul Westfield. Johns retconned during his Teen Titans run that it was actually Lex whose DNA he possessed. In order to bring an inner conflict to the character. This also happened just before the great Titans Tomorrow story line (the first one).

I believe Lex dying and transferring himself to a clone body and pretending to be his son who spoke with an Australian accent has been retconned, or simply ignored. It hasn't been brought up in a very long time.