TNG DVD Transfers

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Amaris, Jun 5, 2009.

1. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ I hope you're right man. It's love to see remastered TNG.

But they really need to keep the prices in line with other shows and not be greedy bastards like with the original DVD's.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Complete, yes. HD, no. I want to have my cake and eat it too. With mint frosting.

Imagine a Star Trek set as complete as the TZ set. That would be unreal. The first season TZ set comes with a copy of the TZ Companion. Almost every episode features some sort of extra, from isolated music score, to commentary, to Marc Scott Zicree interviews with cast, writers, and directors which served as the background material for the Companion. That's not even counting the extra features disc.

3. Hober Mallow

The Star Trek blu-ray is reasonable, especially considering how much they used to charge for VHS. Imagine paying $99.99 for a new copy of Star Trek V on VHS. Horrible picture quality, no extras other than maybe a trailer for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

4. ManaByte

ManaByte Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TV DVD pricing has come down across the board. When the original TNG DVDs were first coming out, FOX was still charging $150 per season of X-Files. That doesn't fly anymore (unless you're HBO...).

5. Hober Mallow

My mom has season one of the X-Files on DVD somewhere. If I remember right, there are like two thirty second extras on the whole set.

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Over time, I will own them all! :D

J.

7. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well if they do remaster TNG, they should really go out on enhancing the FX scenes (don't just redo the ship shots staticly like the series does now. Have ships spinning in and out of orbit in dramatic swoops. When Romulans show up, don't just have the Warbird decloak in front, have them decloak on top and move in so damn close we can wipe our hands on the outer hull).

For "Where no one has gone before" redo the whole shots so we really get a taste of what the universe looks like (what's currently there is not bad, but you can still tell the matte shots from each other).

For "Qwho" don't just show the Enterprise get shot from behind one torpedo at a time. Show the Borg really bringing it down on them, like the Naruda did to the Kelvin in the new movie.

For BTOBW, show the Wolf 359 Battle in full force, getting it's ass kicked (like in the DS9 intro)

For that scene where they had to blockade the Romulans, there were supposed to be 20 ships, and I think we got to see 3? Show the damn 20 ships flying to the blockage point and show them in grid formation.

Stuff like that. There is so much potential to make TNG kick ass. Think TOS's "the doomsday machine" original episode and compare to the remastered one.

8. Amaris

Oddly enough, I like TNG as it is. For me, just cleaning it up would be sufficient.

J.

9. ManaByte

They can't add scenes in the remastering; they are limited to the existing time for each effects shot. They can only enhance, so showing the full Wolf 359 battle is out of the question as the scene doesn't exist.

10. Amaris

^ I guess I could handle SFX remastering, but I've always felt the special effects were sufficient for the jobs they had to do. Aside from one or two instances, the SFX have always been top notch.

J.

11. ManaByte

Only seasons one and two need effects work. But to go HD they would need to redo it all.

12. Bonzo the Fifth

Bonzo the Fifth Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, there's just no way around it, due to the nature of the film stock...

As for the FX aspect, I'd be happy if they just adopted the pragmatic conservativeness used in the TOS remaster... a mostly faithul re-rendering of the original shots, with the occasional flourish or enhancement where it would really make an impact, or when it can be used to cover plot holes, glitches or undo special FX failure from the original shots.

And having seen the job done with the TOS blu-ray, obviously it's possible to have your cake and eat it too, since they can keep the old shots for those that just want a cleaned up live-action picture.

13. Amaris

Yep. All I want is clean images. :D

J.

14. ManaByte

There was some CG used in TNG, and I'd imagine that the original files still exist so they wouldn't have to recreate much.

15. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ManaByte, I loved your reviews way back in the day. Were you also the same guy who did the Mailbag and all that?

16. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fox still charges relatively high for their DVDs. I never see House DVD's much under $50.

17. ManaByte

Yes.

$50 is about standard MSRP for a TV season these days.

18. Amaris

I was watching "The Inner Light" last night on my Alternate Realities collection, and it looked very good. I don't know what they did to it, but the artifacting and grain was hardly noticeable.

J.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm watching TNG right now on DVD, and I admit S1 and 2 look rough but they always did. The rest of the seasons always looked fine to me.

From the OP's picture up-thread I'd ask what kind of TV he is using, because judging from that screen-cap (setting aside any oddities with taking a picture of a TV, uploading it and then putting it here) I'd ask what kind of TV he is using. I'd guess a CRT or early RP.

My TV is an HD RP and TNG's DVD looks fine and perfectly watchable for me.

:)

20. ManaByte

Also it depends on how your player is hooked up to the TV.