"John Carter of Mars" Moving Ahead!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ptrope, Jan 13, 2009.

1. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Disney?! Isn't that like tapping the teletubbies for a Rambo movie... :wtf:

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ Not just Disney, but Disney in Utah! :lol:

3. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Oh shit! :lol:

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Pixar's making a live action film? Weird.

5. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

And some casting news:

Hollywood Reporter

6. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest begs to differ.

7. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

After years of the Frazetta and Whelan covers of the novels, I can easily see both of these actors in those roles; as long as they can carry the material, they definitely look like great choices :bolian:.

I'm still curious how much of a role, if any, Pixar may even play in this; since it began, they've been careful to say that they don't intend to change from what they do best, which is create story-driven CGI-animated films. They'd certainly be good for the VFX of this project, but I could see them stepping back and letting an existing digital house do the CGI, while Disney (or Touchstone, more likely) handles the production and distribution. I don't think we'll see "Pixar" in the credits for John Carter.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I need to go read the first few books then. I think my library has the first three in a single volume. This is good news for sci-fi overall.

9. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Maybe they're planning on broadening their horizons. But as long as it's good, I don't care. I hope they plan on being faithful to the source material. :bolian:

10. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

The fact that they got Michael Chabon to polish the script gives me hope - they're clearly taking this seriously. The guy has won a Pulitzer, a Hugo and a Nebula award - somebody thinks he's more than just a scriptwriter, and he's got science fiction chops as well as mainstream credibility ;).

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kitsch has a bit of a generic "square jaw" look, not that thrilled about him, but Collins is interesting for Dejah Thoris. Her looks match the role, even tho I sort of expected a mixed-race actress, or someone of un-identifiable ethic background.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Will Dejah be wearing a chador or burqa?

13. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She was as destitute of clothes as the green Martians who accompanied her; indeed, save for her highly wrought ornaments she was entirely naked, nor could any apparel have enhanced the beauty of her perfect and symmetrical figure.

Too bad this is Disney :(

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Three small highly wrought ornaments should do the trick.

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, they're likely to get the violence right, but not the nudity. What a world. :rommie:

I'm not familiar with Michael Chabon, but a quick skim of his Wiki page made me smile; he seems to have a similar attitude toward writing as I do.

16. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

What is John Carter of Mars about? Is it good? Should I read the book?

17. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars novels are among the greatest science fantasy adventure stories of all time. They've inspired artists and writers from Howard to Henlein to Roddenberry to Lucas, among others.

I'm a fan (obviously); I'm hoping that they do as good a job with the Barsoom stories as Jackson did with Middle Earth.

18. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

It's important to note that you should read A Princess of Mars, since that is the book on which the movie is based. John Carter of Mars was the end of the series and, IMO, a lesser book.

19. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"John Carter of Mars" is actually two different stories together in one volume. The first, "John Carter and the Giant of Mars", was originally intended as a juvenile story, and it shows. Although Burroughs eventually published this as a 'straight' Mars story, it is almost unanimously considered non-canonical by fans and scholars.

The other story in the collection, "Skeleton Men of Jupiter", is a short, somewhat underdeveloped novelette which was the last Mars story Burroughs ever wrote.

20. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Somehow, I just don't think that the movie would make back its production costs if it were rated R. :p