Now that we know the new Doctor...what´s going to change?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by FreddyE, Aug 5, 2013.

1. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Which would really make sense, in light of Rivers "hoopla"..about not wasting regeneration energy etc.

2. CaptainDave1701

CaptainDave1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think we will see something new in the Sonic Screwdriver. It would seem that they have had a tendency to change with the Doctors. It is kind of a part of their character it would seem. I did not like Matt's Sonic at first but it quickly grew on me. I could not see him use any other or anyone else use it.

3. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since Capaldi won an Oscar for directing the short subject "Frank Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life", I wonder if he will want to direct a few episodes?

If he does and the request is granted, this will be the first time in the show's history that the lead has directed.

Sincerely,

Bill

4. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing I think will change, outside of the show, will be the marketing... At least here in the US, Smith appeals to a really younger audience of teenagers.. You can get all manner of merch at places like Hot Topic... And it's all very Smith-heavy.. Fez and bowtie related stuff.. Very whimsical things... With the advent of a younger, probably more serious-toned Doctor, I think some of that hipster/goth fanbase will fall away... My young son will still probably be into it, but my 16 year old daughter and her friends will find it less "so uncool it's cool"...

I know that won't bother many of the old school Doctor Who fans (more my age and above), but I think it could hurt the show in the long run, again, here in the States...

5. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That is something I'm thankful for, that they didn't opt for another "Matt Smith" Doctor because of his popularity with the younger demographic. In picking an older, different, Doctor, it says to me that they have maintained a certain integrity in picking the right Doctor, and not particularity picking a popular "type" to play him.

I also think the new Doctor will be the right match for River, this might be the Doctor that River has true chemistry with. River and Matt's Doctor never seemed to mesh, I never believed the Matt's Doctor ever really cared as much for River as she did for him. Matt's Doctor, Amy, and Rory all seemed to be contemporaries, while River always felt like the "old man out". They couldn't related to her, even given her obvious connection to all of them, in my mind, she never fit in with them. This new Doctor may give us the true romance between them that makes her final appearance make more sense. He could be the more mature Doctor that helps River "grow up" a bit, they will grow together, and she'll become the more grounded Professor we saw in the Library.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  6. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ I agree with you on the point about River... Wholeheartedly... However, I really enjoyed the fact that Doctor Who was reaching a new audience... The younger subset of fans... And maybe it's just because it gives me one more thing my teenagers and I have in common... But I also got a kick out of seeing kids out and about wearing Who shirts or hats...

I had my 25th highschool reunion this weekend and spent some time with my old best friend Ryan.. He and I were the Who-geeks in our class, and faced a certain amount of ridicule for it... This weekend we talked about taking a certain amount of pride in the fact that many of our old classmates were now fans of the show thanks to Doctors 9,10 and 11... Vindication, if you will...

The thing is, if there isn't a certain amount of retention among the tween-teen fans, there will be no fanbase to carry this into the distant future, I'm afraid...

7. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not exactly sure how this might come about but given that we will have an older Doctor is it possible that we could have River traveling with her husband for at least one series?

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing a male companion for a change. Give me some Holmes/Watson Kirk/Spock stuff! . Any female companion they bring in would probably be young but since there would be a clear age difference I don't see a Romance happening or the companion wanting to bang the doctor like Amy Pond. A less quirky, more serious Doctor would be a breath of fresh air. I too would like to see less fairy tale stuff, it's run it's course.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I really can't see Moffat wanting to write the Doctor that way. I'm sure he'll dial down the zaniness and fairytale vibe to SOME degree, but Moffat still clearly enjoys writing his fun, fast-paced, time-twisty stories-- and you kind of need a Doctor who can work well within that style.

My guess is this will basically be another Christopher Eccleston Doctor-- someone a bit more serious, but who still has no trouble running around or breaking into a huge, geeky smile at a moment's notice.

10. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really hope he's like Eccleston's Doctor. Maybe even a little darker. ;)

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I don't understand this? Smith was far darker than Tennant or Eccelston. Col. Runaway, no second chances, took great glee in not rescuing Mr. Filch in DoaS. When did Eccelston or Tennant do anything like?

12. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like how all the fuss about how 'old' the new Doctor is, when he still could easily pass for early 40's -- a decade and a half younger than he is -- with the right hair and make-up. It's sort of the Hollywood effect of how celebrities always look way younger than they really are. I don't know if the change will be quite as dramatic as everyone thinks. Heck, one of the female companions could be into more 'mature' men. : P

One of the changes might be that the people that Doctor first interacts with will treat him with more respect and authority than they would 11, who physically looks like he's a grad student as opposed to a full fledged doctor.

13. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Smith was one of the lightest in a long time. Probably the lightest in the revived series.

Eccleston had a darker nature to him. Matt Smith was bubbly, jumpy, cheerful although could sometimes be a little negative. Eccleston was scarred from the time war, could be aggressive, and I just got the dark vibe from him. And I liked it.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That will be the story arc of the new season.

The Doctor loses his sonic screwdriver in the first episode, which turns him into a dark, moody, angry man. He spends the rest of the season tearing apart space and time in order to get it back.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Matt Smith is the only actor who has made me truly scared of the Doctor and what he can do. Yeah, he's happy and quirky a lot of the time, but I would NEVER want to cross him.

16. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Hmm, let's see:

Letting Cassandra overstretch with the statement "Everything dies in its time" in 'The End of the World'.

Allowing the Gelth access to human corpses in 'The Unquiet Dead' was pretty dark. So was knowingly letting Gwyneth sacrifice herself to close the rift.

The whole point of 'Father's Day' was about the need to let die that which should die.

The Doctor was quite happy to transport 'Margaret' back to Raxicorico Fallipatorius to be executed. She tries to play to his better nature that he's executing her personally, and he's happy with that. It was the TARDIS that had other ideas.

And on regeneration... "No Second Chances. I'm that sort of man."

I'd say that was a pretty dark approach to being the Doctor.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Smith had some dark moments, but his general demeanor was generally much more light and playful.

Eccleston seemed to me to be the opposite. He could be light and playful at times, but was generally a pretty dark and serious guy.

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think Capaldi's Doctor won't be bouncing all over the place like Smith's was, but I also think he won't be overly serious or dark, he won't be a brooding Doctor--rather, he'll be a very confident and self-assured Doctor (even when he's majorly wrong about something).

I also don't think the Twelfth Doctor will be someone you take too lightly, because he'll rip the baddies a new one if they push him too far.

I also expect him to be slightly less physical than his most recent incarnations--rather than a lot of running around here and there, he'll have Clara do that. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the Twelfth Doctor has something akin to the Vulcan neck pinch (if not old-fashioned Venusian aikido) to incapacitate someone itching to fight him.

Other changes I'd expect:
    • No bow tie (they are no longer cool with the Twelfth Doctor).
    • A costume that's more contemporary than the Eleventh's current, but not as casual as the Ninth's.
    • A new, but more modest sonic screwdriver (and less of a reliance on it). The Twelfth Doctor could have new tools in addition to the sonic.
    • Brighter, more warm lighting for the TARDIS control room (but it otherwise stays the same as far as the overall design).
    • New opening sequence and logo (or an extensive modification of the current one).

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, honestly, I'd call that character development. Eccleston's Doctor was fresh out of the Time War, battle-hardened and angry. Smith has had a lot more time to get over those events, so it makes sense for his demeanor to be a little lighter. What I think Smith did so well was remind you, when he needed to, that even though he's mostly healed from his experiences, the Doctor is still capable of doing bad things.

20. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Just because he looks a bit harsh doesn't mean he'll be harsh. I talked to a friend about this last night and what I said was "He'll be great! Imagine the Ninth Doctor mixed with Dumbledore..." and then I thought, yeah that sounds interesting.

Since he IS older, I imagine that he will give orders to Clara or really treat her like a junior. She won't like that. And this is something I want to see. :lol: