Species 8472: What were their motives?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by The Overlord, Nov 11, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

They will be wearing those fetching white medical masks.

It will bring out their eyes as they peer into his interiors.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

How rude is it to see if there's an echo?

3. teacake

Ryan leans into the body cavity..

"A coochi moymoymoymoy.."

Dawson smirks.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm actually watching Scorpion right now, and it's clear that they have full intent of destroying life that is weaker than them.

I haven't seen In The Flesh since it first aired, but based on my vague memory, the borg attacked them first. So it seems to me that Species 8472 were originally intending to wipe out all life in the quadrant out of revenge for the borg's attack on them.

So, my guess is, if 8472 had defeated the borg, they probably would have gone on to attack non-borg worlds too. But that's a good question and an answer is never really given.

5. Guy Gardener

As far as 8472 was concerned in In the Flesh, their "warcry" was more of a threat than a promise... Even though it was originally released as a threat and a promise.

I mean, when Worf says things like "death tot he opposition" during baseball games, do we really expect him to follow through on that chatter?

6. teacake

Apparently he did when he was a little Worf.

7. Guy Gardener

Yes he did, but it was an accident and he cried about it afterwards like a 4 year old girl with a skinned knee.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Wait, no one said anything about cutting open his brain

9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to script, the Borg failed to assimilate any 8472. Therefore, they did no harm to 8472. In the real world, nations will tolerate open violations of their sovereignty and even the deaths of their own nationals yet not go to war. This is true not just of weak countries like Pakistan but even powerful ones like the US (the Liberty, the Stark.)

The notion that 8472 was defending itself by invading normal space and slaughtering thousands (or was it millions? billions?) in response to no loss of life or property is equivalent to saying that trespass can be justly treated as a capital crime! Their seems to be some projection involved here.

10. Guy Gardener

They might not be able to assimilate 8472, but that doesn't mean that they didn't kill a few billion (trillion?)trying to assimilate them while they were sucking cities into space. that's what the do. they find a planet, suck up all the cities and assimilate the raw resources and civilians. it's just a question of civilian response vs the military response, if 8472 had a military before they met the Borg.

How many cities, how many planets did they excavate, before the Borg were kicked out of Fluidic space?

11. teacake

It doesn't matter if the Borg failed to do any damage. Their intent was clear. Their advanced levels of technology were clear. The expectation that they would return would have been clear. 8472 wasn't going to sit around waiting for them to assimilate something that made the Borg a real threat.

12. Guy Gardener

Would the Borg have gone back if they still couldn't figure out how to assimilate 8472?

13. teacake

You mean gone back over and over like wasps at a wasp trap?

14. Guy Gardener

Watching that drone failing to assimilate that dead 8472 was hilarious like a roomba trapped in a shoe box.

The Borg might not accept defeat well, but every time they attacked the federation they had a new plan generated form assimilating thousands if not millions of humans to advise the battle.

The Borg can't change their attack plan on 8472 because they have no new information to evolve their battle strategy because 8472 resists assimilation, which means that at some point that the Borg must realize that they shouldn't proceed without a new better attack strategy.

It's like asking why would America send it's army to a country with no oil?

15. teacake

I think they already had their over and over attack and would now be seeking new information. They would be looking for races in their collective database that have some similarity to Species 8472, even races they rejected as not worth assimilating but who have some biological likeness that could be useful. I could see them going back to some waste planet with inter-dimensional nudibranchs and working out how to assimilate them as it might be applicable to Species 8472.

It's going to be a serious dint on their perfection until they figure it out.

16. Guy Gardener

There is nothing analogous to 8472.

Although the Hirogen could hunt them with ease.

Maybe the Borg's problem was that they didn't want to exterminate 8472.

They're rapists not murderers.

17. teacake

We don't know there is nothing analogous. Species 8472 might like to see themselves that way but all it takes is one lower life form offering the same biological challenges that doesn't fight back and the Borg can practice until they get it right.

18. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Non sequitur. Like Guy said, it's possible (and quite likely) that the Borg killed lots of 8472 babies. And mommies and daddies.

Except they have five genders. So would that be mommies and mommies and daddies and daddies and mommies?

I don't want to think about it.

19. teacake

Everyone secretes hormonally charged chromosomal matter into a fluidic space shoal and it forms into a cluster of eggs. It's very romantic.

20. Guy Gardener

The Borg like finesse.

But just because they want a magic bullet, it doesn't mean they won't blow up a planet if they have to... Actually did we see the Borg blow up a planet and tractor Voyager off to safety while hundreds of bioships got frakked by the planets bloom?

(If I wanted to reference this, my dvds are on loan, but I still have some of my taped off TV/pirated vhs collection, even though I gave away my store bought vhs collection, but my video player isn't plugged into my tv anymore.)