Lost 5x14: "The Variable"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 29, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

54.5%
  2. Above Average

31.8%
  3. Average

12.1%
  4. Below Average

1.5%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

2. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yay! New LOST tonight. Woo-hoo!

3. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Should be able to catch this tomorrow morning. It's very odd watching an episode one week and then waiting two for another, having watched the first four seasons on DVD in quick succession.

New Lost - yay!

4. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

This has been a great season for LOST. And I read that the dude who is writing the bulk of this season is writing TREK 12...can't wait for that!!!

The dude playing BEN should get an emmy!!!

Rob

5. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

I'm so looking forward to a Faraday episode! :techman:

6. Agent Richard07

Excellent. This one really required some attention that's for sure. It filled in a lot of gaps from previous episodes.

The hydrogen bomb is coming back into play. Didn't someone here predict that?

Also, is this the end of Daniel Faraday?

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Uh, there was an episode named after it, how could it not.

I guess so, which is a shame, he's such a cool character :(

His mother is getting more and more intriguing, that's for sure. I'm curious to see what they do with her.

8. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

An Excellent all the way.

Terrific and horrific ending.

9. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Average through much of it until the last couple of minutes. That was excellent. Didn't expect the twist with Farraday being shot by his own mother but I'm not surprised that Widmore is his father.

The question is...do they really want to prevent the crash? Kate will be in jail, Locke will be crippled, Sun and Jin will be trapped in a dying marriage with Jin still working for her father, Jack and Sawyer's lives will continue to suck, etc. I guess the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

10. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are Kate and Jack going to go talk to the Others now? Ask Daniel's mother how to get back to their time? I think that's what everyone wants. Not to take everything back. Just to get back to where they're supposed to be.

11. Agent Richard07

I seem to remember someone here saying something specific about the bomb recently.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

3.5/4

Great episode but like the end of last year it falls victim to filling in answers we already knew and becoming a hollow exercise in plot movement. Eloise and Widmore are Faraday's parents? Check. H-Bomb involved in Incident? Check.

The real surprise for me was that Daniel lost his memory from his own time travel experiment which is the same experiment he did on Teresa. So apparently it seemed fine at FIRST because he then used it on her. Also that he had no short term memory but the Island healed it (I was wondering why he got better as the season went on).

Eloise killing Daniel... I don't know why that didn't surprise me more. I certainly didn't expect him to die in this episode, and I'm pretty pissed they killed him off after his ONE episode after being gone all that time. He was becoming one of my favorite characters dammit! I guess the ole "I'm going to shoot you" bit was a little suspicious.

I really like how Jack is now as a character, just going with the flow with the destiny and the time travel. The opposite of how he used to be. I prefer NuJack.

13. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Above Average. It was pretty fucking good.

The sad part is that Damon and Carlton played it up as a companion piece to "The Constant" so I guess I was expecting something really mind-blowing. And the title practically screamed "sister episode," which it kind of is. But it doesn't mirror it in theme or structure and it doesn't call back plot points from "The Constant." So that's what bugged me.

What was good? Just about everything else. Little Daniel Faraday turned in the only shitty performance of the night. The rest were rock solid. Special mention to Fionnula Flannigan who (through superb acting) unintentionally telegraphed too much in her conversation with Daniel in the diner. The usual suspects were solid as always. Jeremy Davies kind of pissed me off with his aloof performance on the island as usual but he rocked the shit in flashbacks. I'll chalk it up to his character and not his chops.

Sawyer continues to be awesome. I don't know if he's making the right call in heading out to the beach, but he's continuing his trend of being selfless, if not right. He's not going there for his own purposes, that's for sure. He's safeguarding "his people."

Lastly, am I the only one who thinks Phil is going to flip his fucking wig?

I've got a few bullet points, but they'll have to wait for a second viewing.

Welcome back, Lost.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

One good thing about Daniel dying; it's an end to this "let's change the past" garbage. I was scared they were going to go back on everything they said about the past being immutable!

15. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, I take it you didn't watch the previews for next week?

16. The Habs Fan

The Habs Fan Commodore Commodore

Excellent

A nice setup for the finale.

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Good episode. The ending was sort of obvious (granted, I knew about it but those who watched it with me guessed early on) but it was sure fun getting there. Flanagan is great as Eloise and I sure hope they use her a lot more.

18. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

They're not "going back" on anything... they would be decided that they were incorrect. Those are two very different things.

Anyway, excellent ep.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I never watch previews and I consider them spoilers. I try to stay as virginal on LOST as possible.

20. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well damn, sorry I said anything. Hopefully I didn't spoil too much. Sorry.