Sailor Moon Crystal

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Takeru, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Doubtful that Toei being the cheapskates they are can maintain that animation quality

2. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My wife was a Sailor Moon fan from the beginning (we pretty much built our trip to Japan last year around the most recent Seramyu - she saw it twice with our daughter) and has been following absolutely everything about the new series. She's over the moon (sic) with this trailer. Hopefully the rest of the animation (especially the conspicuously absent henshin sequence) will meet or exceed what we see here - except maybe for Venus' legs in that last shot. Looks weird.

Mark <-- How about that Gundam Unicorn Finale, huh? Huh?

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the animation does look really sweet.

and yes, the last ep of Gundam Unicorn was all kinds of awesome.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first episode is out. Go watch it peeps.

This Kotaku article has a few links on where you can stream the show.

5. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Saw it. The animation is pretty darned good. Though I will admit the transformation looks a little too... Vocaloid at times.

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I watched it a few hours ago on nicovideo, it was good and very close to the manga but it doesn't have the visual appeal of the first anime, I miss that.

7. Peach Wookiee

I rather like the new images, myself.

I paused my video on when Usagi shows her test to her mom. She was way off!! "Please _____ me Yumiko." Usagi's answer: super.

8. Kelthaz

I enjoyed the episode, but I was surprised by how much of a shot for shot remake it was of the first episode of the original anime. I was expecting a few more differences beyond Tuxedo Mask losing his ability to throw roses.

9. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's only so much they can do with the intro episode anyway. The CG transformation is TERRIBLE though.

10. Peach Wookiee

It's lovely in some places, but looks wrong in others...

11. Peach Wookiee

Sorry for the double post, everyone, but the new episode is up! Ami Mizuno is here!

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Peach Wookiee

I saw the animation style of Bob's Burgers!

14. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, there were TONS of animation styles in there. Quite a visual treat, especially if you like abstract animation styles AND the distinctive Western-artists-trying-to-imitate-anime-style-and-not-quite-getting-it style.

My wife, the hugest Sailor Moon fan in the history of everything (that I know personally), was pretty disappointed with the second episode's quality and I tend to agree. We're also watching Sword Art Online II, Aldnoah Zero and a couple others, and there is a noticeable different in animation quality, frames used, etc. Style accounts for some of it, but it just LOOKS rather cheaper than many of its contemporaries. I hope they can refine it as the series goes on, but in the meantime we're both scratching our heads as to why SMC isn't animated to the level that we're used to in most other current anime we're watching.

Mark

15. Peach Wookiee

Yeah, I know, Mark. I just went with the one I noticed and could name clearly. :alienblush:

I'd say the current SMC animation is trying to compete with its magical girl contemporaries, so it's animation will be less than stellar which is a pity. :(

16. Kelthaz

It was nice to see Usagi with a laptop. A 14 year old girl in Japan who didn't know how to use a computer in 2014 would be pretty silly.

17. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it's Toei. Most of their other "anniversary" projects for their major franchises are just as bad in terms of quality such as for Saint Seiya, Precure or their live action shows. They are just cheap.